• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Lizard, no need to hide from us you were there really because of sex tourism.. :twofinger

:blush

WORKOUT
SATURDAY, MARCH 13, 2021

Getting back into the routine.

3x15 - Ab Roll Out
3x10 - Bodyweight Squat
3x15 - DB Curl
3x15 - Glute Kick Out
3x15 - DB Shldr Press
3x15 - DB Upright Row
3x10 - Push Up

FOOD

• 3 Tabs Airborne
• 3 Eggs, 2 Bacon, 2 Slices Ezekiel
• 1 Donut

... more to follow

MACROS

TBD

WORKOUT
STEAK & BJ DAY

20-Minute Run

FOOD

• 3 Tabs Airborne
• 3 Eggs & 1 Slice Ezekiel
• 1/2 Donut
• Fish Pie & Salad
• 2 Cookies
• Banana Cream Pie
• 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
• 4 Glasses of Sherry

MACROS

TBD

Last edited:
I clicked on an area on my boxing timer app that I never checked out before and it’s my stats of boxing minutes. The stats coincide almost perfectly with the COVID lockdowns. The higher the minutes on my boxing timer meant no training at the boxing gym, and vice versa. Anyway, makes sense but it’s a trip to see it on a graph.

I’m only use the timer for boxing drills and don’t use it for lifts.

Getting back into weightlifting and I’m curious to see how it affects my boxing. Probably adversely.

Attachments

• 3BED9BEC-13A9-4BB8-A20A-22E137154F7E.jpeg
    3BED9BEC-13A9-4BB8-A20A-22E137154F7E.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 12
Getting back into weightlifting and I’m curious to see how it affects my boxing. Probably adversely.

I think that will depend on how you setup your workouts. I changed my whole program to be cardio weights due to my hatred of raw cardio. Turned out, the HR intervals work really well with preparing for racing things (for me). HR is 100-165 or so, average of around 135-140. Non stop, no rests, no breaks. About a full hour or a bit more or work.

I pretty much don't like gym stuff too much, but once in there would rather be nowhere else. I hate not getting a good workout in more than going and stumbling on this way to do weights and make it work for building endurance and lower my resting HR has done wonders. The unseen bonus I saw was increased intensity when on the grid. That's one thing you might benefit from on the weight side. There's no way I was able to be "intense" with cardio programs.

I think that will depend on how you setup your workouts. I changed my whole program to be cardio weights due to my hatred of raw cardio. Turned out, the HR intervals work really well with preparing for racing things (for me). HR is 100-165 or so, average of around 135-140. Non stop, no rests, no breaks. About a full hour or a bit more or work.

I pretty much don't like gym stuff too much, but once in there would rather be nowhere else. I hate not getting a good workout in more than going and stumbling on this way to do weights and make it work for building endurance and lower my resting HR has done wonders. The unseen bonus I saw was increased intensity when on the grid. That's one thing you might benefit from on the weight side. There's no way I was able to be "intense" with cardio programs.

My workouts are generally designed this way, although I just got back into traditional weight lifting for who-knows-what-reason. Maybe a change up? Best Chest In The West contest?

My gym finally “re-opened” and we’re boxing on Saturday’s again. Also, I’ll be testing for my 2nd degree black belt in October, that that gives me something to work with.

I haven’t ridden BMX for months. Just kinda lost interest as it became more of a “doing it for the ‘gram” type of endeavor. Fact is, I just got little time to do all this stuff. Anyway, I think I may start to bust out as daylight savings time has started.

715-A6832-3-F3-F-40-ED-98-CE-33-B70-DC56767.jpg

Berto, do you ride a bike?

I can't think of a better training tool for preparing you for racing season, especially since you don't like cardio if you push yourself hard for a 40-60 minute ride.

Just a thought, if you aren't already doing it, though be careful were you ride, drivers around there suck.

though be careful were you ride, drivers around there suck.

Trail riding 100%. When I lived in San Jose I rode 100 miles a week and barely on the road. I’ve done a ton of century rides and charity rides and did that big 500mile tour in 2016 on the road. Cars are so gnarly on a bike.

This is where the gravel grinders are so good. Mine is a Pake CMute I got in 2009, it’s steel and will last forever. I’ve set it up a dozen different ways. I’ve raced it, rode MTB trails and done centuries on it and it keeps going. I’ll hang it up for months until the tires go flat and bust it out like it never hung for that long.

Highly recommend gravel grinders (not a CX bike, those are for racing). We used to kinda have to build them up mixing and matching road and MTB parts to get good gear ratios but now all the major bike companies make good ones out the box.

I rode a rigid single speed 29’er (no suspension MTB) for years, too. That was super fun. Even had it as a fixed gear mountain bike. Fixed gear on the trails was way too weird, but also awesome. Single speed MTB’ing involves a LOT of upper body and will keep the arms, chest and shoulders in great shape as opposed to just sitting and spinning on a road bike.

I juuuuust built up my Bridgestone as a 26” rigid single speed. I need to get it out on the trails but again, it’s time, maaaan. So little of it I have!

653-A22-DD-19-FB-41-B3-A5-A7-4447488163-F8.jpg

Last edited:
Trail riding 100%. When I lived in San Jose I rode 100 miles a week and barely on the road. I’ve done a ton of century rides and charity rides and did that big 500mile tour in 2016 on the road. Cars are so gnarly on a bike.

This is where the gravel grinders are so good. Mine is a Pake CMute I got in 2009, it’s steel and will last forever. I’ve set it up a dozen different ways. I’ve raced it, rode MTB trails and done centuries on it and it keeps going. I’ll hang it up for months until the tires go flat and bust it out like it never hung for that long.

Highly recommend gravel grinders (not a CX bike, those are for racing). We used to kinda have to build them up mixing and matching road and MTB parts to get good gear ratios but now all the major bike companies make good ones out the box.

I rode a rigid single speed 29’er (no suspension MTB) for years, too. That was super fun. Even had it as a fixed gear mountain bike. Fixed gear on the trails was way too weird, but also awesome. Single speed MTB’ing involves a LOT of upper body and will keep the arms, chest and shoulders in great shape as opposed to just sitting and spinning on a road bike.

I juuuuust built up my Bridgestone as a 26” rigid single speed. I need to get it out on the trails but again, it’s time, maaaan. So little of it I have!

I've been wanting to get into trail riding, any suggestions on beginner friendly trails? I have a Santa Cruz 29er hard tail.

I averaged under 9:00 for my 6 mile run today.

Attachments

• DEF8269A-D876-43C4-A78E-D6389848BADF.jpg
    DEF8269A-D876-43C4-A78E-D6389848BADF.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14
No peacocking. Just keeping myself accountable. still doing hella light weight but making it a M/W/F habit again

3x5

bench press
barbell rows
deadlift

No peacocking. Just keeping myself accountable. still doing hella light weight but making it a M/W/F habit again

3x5

bench press
barbell rows
deadlift

Still get some soreness but for now I think it's just because I got so out of shape and need to build core strength back up, as opposed to having another tear so quickly.

I've been wanting to get into trail riding, any suggestions on beginner friendly trails? I have a Santa Cruz 29er hard tail.

I don’t know much about trails in and around SF, but I’m very familiar with South San Jose and Santa Cruz trails. Check out MTBR.com. It’s a really goood resource!

Today’s workout: BOXING

Shadow boxing: 3 x 2min rounds
Slip Bag: 3 x 2min rounds
Double End Bag: 3 x 2min rounds

Ran out of time for a full workout as I needed to bring my son to Jiujitsu.

I wanted to share this combo with y’all. I know it may not interest peeps, but it’s part of a process I use when I develop combos. This is a 1,2, slip, 2, slip, lead hook finisher. My goal is to test these movements through a variety of means: slip bag, slip rope, double end bag, heavy bag, mitt work, partner drills - and finally sparring. Then I teach it :)

[youtube]wqxY4Esvl98[/youtube]

Amazing how much difference new pedals on the Cannondale made.

Because of previous fractures in my right foot I use lace-up boots to ride. Got some mountain bike pedals with protruding studs. They grip the cleats of my boots and foot slip is no longer a problem. (Clip ons were never an option, no ankle support.)

Anyway. . . . did a thirty-five miler in 2.25 hours on a fuel of cold pizza, coffee and orange juice. Music by 'The Unicorn Heads'. If you liked Tangerine Dream or the long cuts from Pink Floyd, try The Unicorn Heads.

Amazing how little things have large impacts.

That's a sick bike, Dion! :thumbup
I like how the chain is perfectly parallel, did you do that on purpose?

That's a sick bike, Dion! :thumbup
I like how the chain is perfectly parallel, did you do that on purpose?

Haha! No. I’ve been using Sheldon Browns Gear Inch calculator for like 12 years for my setups. My front chainring is a 34, and I believe my rear cog is a 20t, with those tires (2.10) it’s a low enough gear inch for climbing on the SS. I actually don’t like the fact that I had to use a chain tensioner, but with vertical dropouts on a SS conversion it’s a must unless you can get the chain tension perfect with a half-link.

The dopest, and I mean DOPEST single speed I ever had was my On-One Inbred 29’er drop bar rigid. Horizontal dropouts to get the perfect chain length. It was a beautiful bike with perfect geometry. They don’t even make these frames anymore. Since I rode Santa Teresa County Park all the time, the climbs were rocky, brutal and steep, so I geared this thing even lower and the 29” wheels change the gear inches dramatically. I rode those trails literally everyday on this bike as a Singlespeed and even climbed the notorious Rocky Ridge with it. Man, this bike was killer! Like all my bikes I built this custom, but this one has a special place in my heart (I don’t like buying complete bikes from the shop).

CB7-A398-E-15-DB-4-D5-D-A424-72-EBA18-D9-B3-C.jpg

I’m considering a RedLine Monocog but I have to justify it by actually going out to ride.

Last edited:
My whoop recovery is quite high today two days after getting my shot. So many people post like 1% recoveries after getting the shot.

Here are my numbers when I first got my rack and started a different program:

Bench: 135 -> 165
Incline: 115 -> 135
Squat: 225 -> 275
Shoulder Press: 75 -> 125
Trap Bar: 275 -> 285
T-Bar Row: 70 -> 85

Its hard for me to progress with my bench and squats without 5s and unfortunately there's no more space on my hex bar to add more weights. Also seem to be stalling on my OHP.

Have you been changing things up?

You body does what is called Adaptability, which means that after 3-4 weeks of doing the same things it has adapted to those stresses and you won't get much benefit out of it. You have to implement Variability in order to continue progressing, changing things up.

Haha! No. I’ve been using Sheldon Browns Gear Inch calculator for like 12 years for my setups. My front chainring is a 34, and I believe my rear cog is a 20t, with those tires (2.10) it’s a low enough gear inch for climbing on the SS. I actually don’t like the fact that I had to use a chain tensioner, but with vertical dropouts on a SS conversion it’s a must unless you can get the chain tension perfect with a half-link.

The dopest, and I mean DOPEST single speed I ever had was my On-One Inbred 29’er drop bar rigid. Horizontal dropouts to get the perfect chain length. It was a beautiful bike with perfect geometry. They don’t even make these frames anymore. Since I rode Santa Teresa County Park all the time, the climbs were rocky, brutal and steep, so I geared this thing even lower and the 29” wheels change the gear inches dramatically. I rode those trails literally everyday on this bike as a Singlespeed and even climbed the notorious Rocky Ridge with it. Man, this bike was killer! Like all my bikes I built this custom, but this one has a special place in my heart (I don’t like buying complete bikes from the shop).

I’m considering a RedLine Monocog but I have to justify it by actually going out to ride.

With gravel riding becoming more and more popular, single speed gravel bikes exist now.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/03/new-salsa-cycles-stormchaser-singlespeed-gravel-bike/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back