• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use any rubber bands in their routines?

Was at a fitness supply store today and BS’s with the employee. Dude was demoing a thick endless rubber band and suggesting it could be used for deadlifts. I didn’t take it too seriously but tried following his example and no shit I could feel it immediately target my lower back seemingly even better than deadlifts. Just targets it in a way I’m not used to.

I ended up buying some of the smaller bands just to see if they might be of any use for some other movements. The thick one the dude was showing cost more than I thought it was worth but now second guess that. Could be handy when travelling and stuck in hotels and such.

During physical therapy they had me using the endless rubber bands to strengthen my hips. I continue to use them now and they seem to help stave off the arthritis that I originally went to PT for. :thumbup

airborne tabs just cause you're feelin off, or is there something up with that?

The placebo effect works.

A big dose of zinc can improve immune function for a short time. Everything else in immune tablets usually creates expensive urine, unless you are deficient. If you are eating well, you likely are not deficient in anything.

Was at a fitness supply store today and BS’s with the employee. Dude was demoing a thick endless rubber band and suggesting it could be used for deadlifts. I didn’t take it too seriously but tried following his example and no shit I could feel it immediately target my lower back seemingly even better than deadlifts. Just targets it in a way I’m not used to.

I ended up buying some of the smaller bands just to see if they might be of any use for some other movements. The thick one the dude was showing cost more than I thought it was worth but now second guess that. Could be handy when travelling and stuck in hotels and such.

Yes, I use them for added resistance for boxing drills and such.

The real issue is that everybody on this thread has different goals. Mine is specifically martial arts related, so traditional weightlifting isn’t necessarily my jam (although I still do it). I like the rubber band stuff. There’s other items that people really haven’t brought up like a weighted mace, battle ropes, sledgehammer, tractor tire, etc. I use all that stuff.

^ I kinda like how the discussion has a mish mash of goals floating around. I might not be trying to bulk up but, the voyeur in me likes seeing what the beefcakes do vs what the climbers do vs what the cyclists do etc..

Im a super goal oriented person but I seriously have zero fitness goals right now. Hmmm, I should fix that.

Let's c. Im not racing this year. I don't have any climbing projects to do and the season is like 3/4s over. My cycling race is July 18th. Yep, July 18th is pretty soon. I better get on that one.

Im a super goal oriented person but I seriously have zero fitness goals right now. Hmmm, I should fix that.

Let's c. Im not racing this year. I don't have any climbing projects to do and the season is like 3/4s over. My cycling race is July 18th. Yep, July 18th is pretty soon. I better get on that one.

I remember I decided to start training for the Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge century a month before hand. Boy was that a mistake. And yes, you can crash from a stand still by cramping alone :laughing

Decided to challenge myself and put 27, 2 min rounds with 1 minute breaks on the boxing timer.

3 rounds - Jump Rope
3 rounds - Shadow Boxing with 3lb weights
3 rounds - Slip Rope
3 rounds - Slip Bag
3 rounds - Double End Bag
3 rounds - Upper Cut Bag (got some combos in the works)
3 rounds - Upper Cut Bag (more trickery)
3 rounds - Lomenchenko Head Band Reflex Ball
3 rounds - Speed Bag

Now I’m pretty fricken hungry. It’s 3 and I haven’t eaten since 9am.

EDIT: epic homemade sandwich with jumbo cheese it’s and a bübly sparkling water.

Last edited:
My base fitness isn't that bad right now. I probably need about a month to prepare to just survive 138mi and 12k feet of climbing. 5-6 rides in 3 weeks then a chill taper ride. But Ill need at least double that amount of training to decrease my finishing time :laughing

My base fitness isn't that bad right now. I probably need about a month to prepare to just survive 138mi and 12k feet of climbing. 5-6 rides in 3 weeks then a chill taper ride. But Ill need at least double that amount of training to decrease my finishing time :laughing

That’s pretty gnarls.

The placebo effect works.

A big dose of zinc can improve immune function for a short time. Everything else in immune tablets usually creates expensive urine, unless you are deficient. If you are eating well, you likely are not deficient in anything.

I haven’t called in sick since February 2010. And before that, I called in sick Dec. 2006. And before that, it was some time in the early 90s.

There is always an e-bike. :twofinger

Yeah, and there's lots of good band routines worth your time. Depends on goals, but they're a decent substitute in a pinch and useful in a regular workout when used in conjunction with plates/ kettles/ dumbbells.

As you get older, it's gonna take longer to get the fitness back. Not horrible, but still noticeable.

I never put up workouts, but here's last nights:

Leg Press: 150 reps; 100 lb
Calf raises: 60 reps; 100 lb
Smith Chest incline press: 20 reps; 80 lb
Curve barbell reverse tri's: 20 reps; 60 lb

Leg Press: 150 reps; 100 lb
Smith Chest incline press: 16 reps; 90 lb
Curve barbell reverse tri's: 16 reps; 70 lb

Leg Press: 160 reps; 100 lb
Smith Chest incline press: 14 reps; 100 lb
Curve barbell reverse tri's: 14 reps; 70 lb

Leg Press: 160 reps; 100 lb
Smith Chest incline press: 12 reps; 110 lb
Curve barbell triples: 12 reps; 70 lb

1-leg standing press: 15 reps; Bodyweight (on balls of feet)
incline dumbbell vert press: 20 reps; 50 lbs
V-bar tricep press down: 20 reps; 57 lbs (on balls of feet)

incline dumbbell vert press: 16 reps; 60 lbs
V-bar tricep press down: 16 reps; 65 lbs (on balls of feet)

incline dumbbell vert press: 14 reps; 65 lbs
V-bar tricep press down: 14 reps; 72 lbs (on balls of feet)

Incline cable fly: 14 reps; 20 lbs
Yoga ball tricep bench dip: 20 reps; Bodyweight (SUPERSET)
Rope cable tricep: 16 reps; 35 lbs (SUPERSET on balls of feet)
Glute long rope pulls: 15 reps; 42 lbs

Incline cable fly: 12 reps; 20 lbs
Rope cable tricep: 14 reps; 42 lbs (SUPERSET on balls of feet)

Incline cable fly: 12 reps; 20 lbs
Rope cable tricep: 14 reps; 42 lbs (SUPERSET on balls of feet)

Bench straddle butt off's Forward/ back. FWD Left. FWD Right
Dips: 20 reps; Bodyweight
single arm cable press: 20 reps; 20 lbs (punch weight on balls of feet)

Bench straddle butt off's. Forward/ back. FWD Left. FWD Right
Dips; To failure; Bodyweight
single arm cable press. To Failure; 20 lbs (punch weight on balls of feet)

20 minutes stretching

This whole workout takes about 1:15 hours (excluding stretching), non stop. I don't stop/ rest in-between exercises. Heart rate averages 135 (last night); peak is 164, min is 95. Calories burned; 730. Most of my cable exercises and pretty much anything I can do NOT flatfooted, but on the balls of my feet I do. If I can make the exercise more complex (difficult) in some manner, then I try to do that.

I worry I risk overtraining, but at the same time, I need a workout that simulates how I (think) I need to use my body. I use the bench straddles to practice Body position coming off a corner, braking for a corner, and moving weight inside for a corner. It's helped significantly in making the on-bike movement more fluid. Doing so while winded is good.

I workout in the same manner I ride, which is to say I do a full round of exercises with a mouth 3/4 full of water, which is how I ride/ race. Figured I'd give you guys something worthwhile to make fun of me about!

Last edited:
WORKOUT
Wednesday, March 24, 2021

• Shadow Box
• Jumping Jacks
• Run in Place
• 3 x 15 - Push Up
• 20-Minute Run

FOOD

Cutting carbs; trying to hold calories to ~1200

• 3 Tabs Airborne
• 1 Slice Ezekiel, PB & 1 tsp Jam & Cup of Tea
• Sumo Mandarin
• 3 Vegan Meatballs & Bulgur/Quinoa
• 1 C Grapes
• Post Workout
• 10 Gummy Bears
• Small Serving Fig & Hazelnut Panforte
• 1/2 Turkey Patty, Vegan Meatballs & Sausage & Quinoa/Kale
• Pumpkin Seeds

MACROS

Cal - 1740
Pro - 82
Carb - 201
Fat - 68

Last edited:
My climbing partner is already pushing 11c climbs, and finishing them. I am struggling badly. :( It helps that her technique is so much better than mine. I always knew it, but it became even more apparent now, that her footwork is better. Tried 11c and failed badly with bleeding fingers from scrapping on the wall. She flashed it. Tried again, with some betas on footwork and it was so much easier. Still got stuck near the top, but at least got further in then first time. Welp something to work on.

My climbing partner is already pushing 11c climbs, and finishing them. I am struggling badly. :( It helps that her technique is so much better than mine. I always knew it, but it became even more apparent now, that her footwork is better. Tried 11c and failed badly with bleeding fingers from scrapping on the wall. She flashed it. Tried again, with some betas on footwork and it was so much easier. Still got stuck near the top, but at least got further in then first time. Welp something to work on.
Women have a lower center of gravity, that helps them on routes when you consider the physics. Also, if the route setter was shorter then they'd tend to set shorter reaches, if you're standing up on the foot holds you're getting your center of gravity too high, keep your legs bent and keep your CG lower in relation to the holds, that will reduce the load on your hands.

This isn't to take away your partner's talent, I'm sure there's routes where your (likely) greater height gives you an advantage. Glad you have a talented partner to climb with, I had one who was very strong and did well in the women's competitions.

Just my :2cents

Berto, that looks like quite a workout!

I hope you're not doing that every day, you'd want to alternate muscle groups on alternate days.

I do circuits, non-stop, hitting different muscle groups while the others are recovering. It sucks that I have to spend time wiping down machines, that slows down my pace but is necessary in this covid period.

I'd be happy if I could finish 10Ds without having to stop and take a break. :laughing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back