• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant be the only one here that does Yoga. You guys should give it a try if you want to maintain body health and dexterity.

Working it back In now. Thanks for the reminder...between you and another friend, I'm finding a great use for Yoga in my plan.

Tried some 11As today, and I was able to complete one of them but not without a lot of trouble. Looks like I'm projecting 10C and Ds at the moment.

Also my 5 lbs weights came in. Currently benching 175 and Squatting 240.

WORKOUT
Saturday, April 3, 2021

Worked out at my gym (Clubsport San Ramon). Minimal equipment set up next to the pool. $10 a visit. I was the only one there along with 3-4 swimmers.

5 x 10 - BB Mil Press
5 x 10 - Squats with Hex Weight Lifting Trap Bar
2 x 10 - BB Upright Row
5 x 10 - DB Incline Face Down Flye
5 x 20 - DB Snatch
5 x 10 - DB Seated Front Raise
15-Minute Run

FOOD

• 3 Tabs Airborne
• 3 Eggs, 4 Jennie O Turkey Brekki Sausage & 1 Slice Ezekiel
• Smoothie: 2 Bananas, 1 C Blueberries, 1 C Almond Milk & Vegan Pro
• 16 Haribo Gummy Bears
• Post Workout
• Salmon Steak, Broccoli, Quinoa & Seaweed
• Small Piece Rocky Road Candy
• Whey/Casein Protein Shake
• 1/4 C Roasted Edamame
• Small piece of Baguette, Stilton & Glass of Sherry

MACROS

Macros look good. Need to lower carbs.

Cal - 2184
Pro - 151
Carbs - 206
Fat - 84

Last edited:
Boxing Yesterday:

It all started with 6 min of skipping rope and complete and utter hell for the next two hours, ending in sparring. I got clipped on the chin, and I swear if it was two inches deeper into range, my “OFF” button would’ve been pushed. That was an “oh shit” moment. I realize I am taking for granted my old man skills and these young guys are getting way better! Next time I won’t be so lax :laughing

I did give my opponent a reasonable black eye. He said “Dion, I think you gave me a black eye” and I said “it’s your Easter present” we both laughed, but man, that chin clip was a close call.

The rest of the day the wife and her sister wanted to go shopping and I hobbled along. I felt like I got hit by a bus, because the chin wasn’t the only damage. I have knots from some decent body shots I endured by other fighters, but none affected the internal organs :laughing.

Notice, I don’t post the same day as sparring.

I will only allow myself so many concussive moments a month (like 1). At my age it’s a bank account, and you definitely can run out.

Last edited:
Slipped on my new no-carpet stairs and landed pretty badly on my back/side. Yesterday was brutal. Just been icing it and not moving. If I sit it's fine but some movement really hurts. At least today it's somewhat better indicating I didn't "break" anything I think I got lucky but it's ruined my fitness for this weekend :(

WORKOUT
SUNDAY ~ APRIL 4, 2021

3-Mile Power Walk

FOOD

• 3 Tabs Airborne
• 2 Eggs, 4 Jennie-O Turkey Patties & 1 Slice Ezekiel
• Rebbl Brand Pro Drink
• 3 Eggs & Riced Cauliflower
• Handful of Chocolate Raisins
• 1 Small Chocolate
• Salmon Fillet & Riced Cauliflower
• Sumo Citrus
• 1 Carrot
• 1/4 C Roasted Edamame

MACROS

Looking good!

Cal - 1852
Pro - 125
Carb - 98
Fat - 107

Last edited:
I love what you guys are doing and all of the variety in here!

Back Story:
I started to do triathlons back in 2015 which is pretty tough on a 6’ 1” 230lb guy. I was able to drop down to 205 before by first sprint triathlon. I use Training Peaks structured training plans which upload directly to my Garmin device.

Fast forward to 2019 and I had increased my desired race distance to the 70.3 Ironman. Using 18 week training plans and doing 2 a day workouts however my weight had returned. Diet needs some serious modifications. I finished the Costa Rica 70.3 Ironman in the summer and signed up for the La Quinta 70.3 that winter with the goal of an improved time. The running leg of the triathlon is always my weak point so I added a ½ marathon training program in the middle of training for La Quinta. I injured my right foot (stress fracture) during the last long run before the Long Beach ½ marathon I had signed up for. The local family dr gave me an x-ray and said it was fine. The first 100 yards of the ½ marathon I fractured the bone completely and had to beg off. Please listen to your body even when the dr says your fine.

2020 I am just swimming while the foot heals until they shut down all of the pools. By late summer I am able to start running again while still waiting for the pools to open back up.

2021 Starting a new ½ marathon training program today. 18 week long HR based 80/20 plan. The first workout is tomorrow and I am kinda stoked. :thumbup

Good luck with the half marathon!

Twice I trained for the triathlon and twice when I was weeks from doing it I had a bad ankle sprain, one from football and the other coming down on the side of somebody's foot while playing basketball.

Back Story:
I started to do triathlons back in 2015 which is pretty tough on a 6’ 1” 230lb guy. I was able to drop down to 205 before by first sprint triathlon. I use Training Peaks structured training plans which upload directly to my Garmin device.

Fast forward to 2019 and I had increased my desired race distance to the 70.3 Ironman. Using 18 week training plans and doing 2 a day workouts however my weight had returned. Diet needs some serious modifications. I finished the Costa Rica 70.3 Ironman in the summer and signed up for the La Quinta 70.3 that winter with the goal of an improved time. The running leg of the triathlon is always my weak point so I added a ½ marathon training program in the middle of training for La Quinta. I injured my right foot (stress fracture) during the last long run before the Long Beach ½ marathon I had signed up for. The local family dr gave me an x-ray and said it was fine. The first 100 yards of the ½ marathon I fractured the bone completely and had to beg off. Please listen to your body even when the dr says your fine.

2020 I am just swimming while the foot heals until they shut down all of the pools. By late summer I am able to start running again while still waiting for the pools to open back up.

2021 Starting a new ½ marathon training program today. 18 week long HR based 80/20 plan. The first workout is tomorrow and I am kinda stoked. :thumbup

I’m not worthy:hail

Back Story:

:thumbup

70.3 kicked my ass. Doing the escape from Alcatraz this year. I'm interested in your tri-training program. If you post it i will read it!

:thumbup

70.3 kicked my ass. Doing the escape from Alcatraz this year. I'm interested in your tri-training program. If you post it i will read it!

70.3 did the same to me as well. That is why I like the challenge. I cannot wait until they lift all the lockdowns and start racing again.

Like I said I use Training Peaks and pay for the premium edition.
link: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/

I used this plan for my first 70.3:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/train...n-70-3-level-2-heart-rate-7-to-13-hours-per-w

The workouts upload directly to my Garmin so its as easy as following instructions.

If I could afford it (and I stayed in one place long enough) I would get a coach. I believe having a coach or a training group would help me immensely but until then I use the virtual kinds.

A televised "Escape from Alcatraz" back in the 80's first had me interested in triathlon. I could not afford the swim training until my mid 40's however.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have always been impressed by triathletes. You guys are amazing! i can run and bike but suck at swimming. But no way can I bike 112 and then run a marathon.

I posted a pic of Dick & his son Rick earlier in this thread. Dick carried, pushed Rick in two Hawaii Ironman Tris. So inspirational! I have NO idea what it takes to do this. I apologize for posting another Team Hoyt pic but I still cannot comprehend not only the love between them but the strength to do it.

dick_hoyt-5.jpg

Last edited:
AHHH, I just noticed that my bike race is scheduled 2 days before my SIL's wedding in Scotland. So either the wedding is postponed because of COVID or I'm bailing on the bike race. LAME!!!

I did ride and hike this past weekend. They were group activities (masked and vaccinated people mostly), so I'd barely call them workouts. But it was still cool to be outside both days.

Last edited:
More tired than a hooker at Oracle OpenWorld Las Vegas but I showed up and did a few reps.

TUNES

Houses of the Holy

WORKOUT
Mondays Suck

3x20 - DB OH Tri Ext
3x10 - DB Arnold Press
3x20 - DB Curl
2x10 - Bodyweight Squat
3x10 - Bodyweight Lunge

FOOD

• 3 Tabs Airborne
• 2 Eggs, 2 Whites & Slice of Ezekiel
• Salmon Fillet & Riced Cauliflower
• 1/4 C Pumpkin Seeds
• 1/4 C Roasted Edamame
• Pro Shake
• Pre Workout
• 10 Haribo Gummy Bears
• Post Workout

More to come

MACROS

TBD

Boxing Yesterday:

I will only allow myself so many concussive moments a month (like 1). At my age it’s a bank account, and you definitely can run out.

012376_1280x720_376790_088.jpg

I’m not worthy:hail

I'm with Dan. Tri people are legit!

In 2014 I had a horrible BMX accident where I fell from - if you count my height and the height of the ledge I was on - about 7-8ft to the back of my head without a helmet. In BMX you crash a lot and you build a resilience to getting beat up, but this one scared me because I couldn’t feel my body, like my whole body went numb and yet I was partially conscious. Obviously now, I won’t throw a leg over a bicycle without a helmet.

Picture #1 is the trick - something I invented call a “D Whip”. Picture #2 is the point of impact. This was self filmed and I was by myself.

The injury wasn’t bad in itself - what was bad was the mental stuff that occurred afterward. I was dating a woman and it was already a hostile/intense relationship which just got worse after this accident. I was going through my divorce and living with my parents - I was not in a good place. I was impulsive, emotional, and had thoughts that I never had before. I had a LOT of suicidal thoughts. It was horrible and I wasn’t myself. It took three years (by my calculation) to “heal” from the brain injury.

I totally understand how TBI and CTE can affect one’s judgement and thinking. Add adverse environmental conditions (in my case it was a bad relationship) and it intensified. I wish I didn’t learn about this stuff the hard way.

Dave Mira - famous BMX rider - some years ago committed suicide. No apparent reason. Junior Seau is another one. Shit’s real. This is why I only let my students spar once a month.

I am very careful with my brain now. I’ve seen what one bad incident could do, and how even small concussive impacts can make matters worse. I am nervous about how things will be when I’m in my later years. So, for boxing, I gotta be careful. You can see a black eye, but you can’t see what’s happening behind the black eye.

3-D660406-5274-4-AC6-B23-E-3546-A688-F68-C.png

93-C88-FAD-CBA1-40-DE-9-E72-5992-F90-BF7-AB.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back