• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quit doing dead lifts and squats with weight. I've already lost 1.5" in height from compressed discs, and don't want to stress my spine anymore.

When I was in my forties I could do 25 pullups, last time I tried, zero. So I've started working on those. The first one was the hardest, the mind believes it can't do it. But I'm up to four in a couple weeks, and hope to get back to 25.

In 2019 I had hernia surgery February 20th and my 5th knee surgery March 20th. The hernia sucked, the surgery and recovery was easy. Everyone told me recovery would be 6 weeks. The surgeon said I should take it easy for a week then after that he challenged me to undo his handy work...I gave it a half-assed effort because I didn’t want to have another hernia.

As far as getting fit, I’m always working towards archery elk hunting, lots of miles at high elevations and the potential for carrying heavy ass elk parts off the mountain. Serious motivation to not be a slacker.

In 2019 I had hernia surgery February 20th and my 5th knee surgery March 20th. The hernia sucked, the surgery and recovery was easy. Everyone told me recovery would be 6 weeks. The surgeon said I should take it easy for a week then after that he challenged me to undo his handy work...I gave it a half-assed effort because I didn’t want to have another hernia.

As far as getting fit, I’m always working towards archery elk hunting, lots of miles at high elevations and the potential for carrying heavy ass elk parts off the mountain. Serious motivation to not be a slacker.

That high elevation alone is a workout.

Back in the sixties I spent a winter south of Jackson Hole in a remote canyon at 7500 feet. The first month there I experienced asthma symptoms.

That high elevation alone is a workout.

Back in the sixties I spent a winter south of Jackson Hole in a remote canyon at 7500 feet. The first month there I experienced asthma symptoms.

I’ve climbed a number of Colorado’s 14ers and did Mt Whitney in under 13 hours (porthole to summit to porthole). Elevation never bothered me before, but as I’ve gotten older, and no longer live in northern New Mexico, I do notice it for the first day at elk camp.

I’ve climbed a number of Colorado’s 14ers and did Mt Whitney in under 13 hours (porthole to summit to porthole). Elevation never bothered me before, but as I’ve gotten older, and no longer live in northern New Mexico, I do notice it for the first day at elk camp.

Abiquiu will make a person comfortable with elevation!!! :thumbup

GYM
Thursday ~ May 6, 2021

10-Min Shagging Basketballs
6x10-20 - Bench Press
4x10 - OH Tri Ext w/Plate
5x10 - Cable Tri Press Down
3x10 - Cable Crunch
3x10 - Hanging Knee Raise
4x10 - DB Standing Upright Cross Over
3x10 - Incline Bench Press
4x10 - BB Mil Press
4x10 - Leg Ext
5x20 - Calf Raise
3x10 - Cable Cross Over
3x10 - Cable Decline Cross Over
4x10 - DB Incline Cross Over

FOOD

• Bagel with Butter
• Ham & Cheese Croissant, Fries & Coke :twofinger
• Pre Workout
• 10 Haribo Gummy Bears
• 1/4 C Pumpkin Seeds
• 6 Dumplings
• Sake (nigiri) and Maguro nigiri
• 2 Medjool Dates

More to come

MACROS

Shit.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I’m older than you. Poor form but lighter weight prevented any serious damage.
Ive felt similar issues a couple of times in the past and stopping immediately has always been the right answer for a quick recovery. Not always apparent until looking back later on.

Man...I'm almost thinking we should bet it out. I don't want to be one that loses an "I'm older" bet tho...

Good news on the "back like new". This weekend is my first day back in the Gyme since I broke my hand. God I hate casts. And castes.

GYM
Friday, May 7, 2021

Happy to be back at the gym. Nice to see/chat with gym friends. Down 3 lbs this week; pants are looser :)

10-Minute Treadmill
3x10 - Hanging Leg Raise
4x3x10 - Four Rotator Cuff Exercise on Cables; 3 Sets Each
3x10 - OH Tri Ext w/Plate
5x10 - DB Shoulder Press
5x10 - BB Wrist Curl
2x10 - Lunge
5x10 - Standing Cable Rear Delt

FOOD

• Multi-Vitamin
• Burger King Sausage Croissanwich :twofinger
• Pro Shake
• Sumo Citrus
• 1 Slice Ezekiel w/PBJ
• Pre Workout
• 10 Gummy Bears
• Post Workout
• 2 Slices Homemade Pizza
• 3 Shots Tequila (it’s vegan!)

MACROS

:twofinger

Last edited:
When I was in my forties I could do 25 pullups, last time I tried, zero. So I've started working on those. The first one was the hardest, the mind believes it can't do it. But I'm up to four in a couple weeks, and hope to get back to 25.

Pre Covid: 21
Now: 6 :( (and to add insult to injury, I pulled a lat first time since ‘rona :laughing)

I’m going to do this to regain pull up strength: start at top and lower slowly, rinse/repeat.

PS My gym got rid of my “go to” pull up rig. Fuckers. The other racks have bars at a different angle.

Last edited:
GYM
SATURDAY ~ MAY 8, 2021

20-Min Precor Stationary Bike
4x10 - Lat Pull
4x10 - Straight Arm Pull Down
4x10 - Crunch
5x10 - Leg Raise
5x10 - Cable Face Pull
5x10 - Hip Bridge
5x10 - DB Shldr Press
4x10 - OH Shldr Rotation w/Plate
4x10 - Front Raise w/Plate
4x10 - DB Curl
4x10 - Standing Cable Decline Press
1x30 - BB Mil Press

FOOD

• Sumo Citrus
• 2 Espressos
• 2 Eggs, Turkey Burger & 1 Slice Ezekiel
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Handful Peanuts
• 1/4 C Pumpkin Seeds
• 1/4 C Roasted Edamame
• 2 Carnitas Tacos & Mexican Coke
• 1/2 Root Beer

MACROS

Need more protein.

Last edited:
GYM
Mother’s Day

And today is the 76th anniversary of Germany surrendering to General Zhukov of Russia. That’s correct, Germany did not surrender to the US.

Cardio - Basketball Shoot Around
2x10 - Ab Machine
2x10 - Cybex Flye
2x10 - Cybex Rear Delt Flye
2x10 - Leg Curl
3x20 - DB Snatch
3x10 - Lunge
1x20 - BB Mil Press
3x10 - DB Forearm Curl
2x10 - DB Reverse Forearm Curl
2x10 - Cable X Over
3x10 - Cable Decline X Over
3x10 - DB Incline Press

FOOD

• 3 Eggs & 1 Slice Ezekiel
• 1/2 Donut
• Sumo Citrus
• 1/4 C Pumpkin Seeds
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Greek Salad
• Sashimi
• Viet Beef Stew & Rice

MACROS

Too bad I ate that donut.

Last edited:
1/2 Marathon Training

Made it through last week with a strong finish on Sunday. Felt good and strong on my longest run of the year to date.

Distance:
14.70 mi
Time:
3:13:56
Calories:
2,073 C

This week is a "resting" week so the duration per work out are slightly less.

I went on a climbing trip Wed-Sun to Joe's Valley in Utah. I sent a handful of V5s & V6s and worked plenty of V6-V8s. Unfortunately, my arm/shoulder tendons were not up to the task of climbing for multiple days in a row. I don't think I've climbed 2 days in a row since 2018, let alone 3 days. So by the 3rd day, I was struggling a lot with deltoid and tricep tendonitis. I'd give some climb a few burns, then I'd struggle to lift my arms. Wait 2hrs for the inflammation to go down and repeat if I couldn't resist something that looked fun. Oh wells. It was still a great vacation outside, albeit a short one. Next time Ill do a little more volume training beforehand.

Aside from that, Joe's Valley is amazing. For all the climbers (boulderers) in here, I highly recommend it. Fun climbs of the V3-V8 grades were plentiful and most of the boulders were within a 5min walk from the road. There was no crowd. The sandstone was extremely nice to finger skin. A lot of climbs were gymnastic and powerful like indoor problems. Camping was free with nice toilets. If you are up for the trek to Utah in Spring or Fall, go for it.

I went on a climbing trip Wed-Sun to Joe's Valley in Utah. I sent a handful of V5s & V6s and worked plenty of V6-V8s. Unfortunately, my arm/shoulder tendons were not up to the task of climbing for multiple days in a row. I don't think I've climbed 2 days in a row since 2018, let alone 3 days. So by the 3rd day, I was struggling a lot with deltoid and tricep tendonitis. I'd give some climb a few burns, then I'd struggle to lift my arms. Wait 2hrs for the inflammation to go down and repeat if I couldn't resist something that looked fun. Oh wells. It was still a great vacation outside, albeit a short one. Next time Ill do a little more volume training beforehand.

Aside from that, Joe's Valley is amazing. For all the climbers (boulderers) in here, I highly recommend it. Fun climbs of the V3-V8 grades were plentiful and most of the boulders were within a 5min walk from the road. There was no crowd. The sandstone was extremely nice to finger skin. A lot of climbs were gymnastic and powerful like indoor problems. Camping was free with nice toilets. If you are up for the trek to Utah in Spring or Fall, go for it.

Sounds Amazing!

GYM
MONDAY ~ MAY 10, 2021

20-Minute Treadmill
10-Minute Basketball Shootaround (good way to warm up shldrs)
6x10 - DB Shoulder Press
6x10 - DB Lateral Raise
3x10 - OH Shldr 360 & Front Raise with Plate Combo
5x15 - Leg Press
5x15 - Calf Raise
1x20 - Leg Raise
60-Second Plank

FOOD

• Bagel & Butter (bad habit)
• Sumo Citrus
• Pea Soup & 1 Slice Ezekiel
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Sake & Maguro Nigiri (eat 1/2 the rice)
• Seaweed Salad

MACROS

Could be worse.

Last edited:
GYM
11MAY21

Tired AF so light workout.

10-Minute Treadmill
10x10 - Benchpress

FOOD

• McDonald’s Sausage Egg McMuffin :love
• Sumo Citrus
• 1 Slice Ezekiel & PBJ
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Sashimi
• Seaweed Salad

MACROS

WHATCHEWTALKINBOUTWILLIS!

Last edited:
GYM
12MAY21

10-Minutes Stationary Bike
5x10 - Curling Bar
5x10 - Cable Face Pull
5x10 - Bodyweight Squat
5x15 - Cable Crunch
5x10 - Glute Trainer
3x10 - Mil Press Machine
3x10 - Front Raise w/Plate
3x20 - Leg Press
3x10 - Calf Raise
3x200 - Farmer Carry w/Plate
3x5 - BB Clean and Jerk
3x10 - DB OH Tri Ext
1x10 - DB Incline X Over
3x20 - BB Mil Press Super Lizards™℠®©*
3x10 - DB Curl

*Super Lizard /ˈso͞opər/ˈlizərd/

1) One repetition with bar only using high speed to build explosive power.

Sample sentence: Yoked bro repped 30 Super Lizards like a tremendous machine!

FOOD

• Mickey D Brekkie :twofinger
• 2 Sumo Citrus
• 1 Carrot
• Handful of Prunes
• Turkey, Hummus & 2 Slices Ezekiel
• Peas
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Greek salad & Beef Burgundy

MACROS

Too lazy to calc.

Last edited:
Damn Lizard your logs are super detailed....... :rofl

I be like hit the gym last night.... Did shoulders, back and biceps, sore this morning so must have been a good workout. Oh yeah ate some shit also.....

GYM
Thursday the Thirteenth

10-Min Elliptical Trainer
4x5x10 - All the Rotator Cuff Exercise on Cable Machine
5x10 - Cable X Over
5x10 - Cable Decline X Over
7x10 - Bar Dips
3x10 - DB Flye
5x10 - Cable Upright X Over

FOOD

• Burger King Sausage Dog Meat Croissanvomit (so good!)
Cal 515 P18, C30 F35
• Meatballs and Peas
• Sumo Citrus
• Pre Workout
• Post Workout
• Movie Theater Hot Dog

MACROS

Carby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back