• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

TV Shows I am enjoying

First sentence…very much agree. Can’t co-sign on that second sentence though.

I will say the Boardwalk Empire has some of what I think are the greatest characters ever on television. Richard Harrow, Chalky White, and Dr. Narcisse…just fascinating. And the writers of the show absolutely did not skimp on the character development.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch The Sopranos until after I watched Boardwalk Empire and I'm enamored with the era that Boardwalk Empire took place in so I am probably a bit biased. I ogled the story as much as I did the sets and costumes. The track suits and heavy put-on accents in The Sopranos felt like characterchures and exaggerations simply for entertainment value. Kind of like Jersey Shore oversold the whole East Coast Italian'ish BS thing. Boardwalk Empire felt more authentic and less forced.

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I didn't watch The Sopranos until after I watched Boardwalk Empire and I'm enamored with the era that Boardwalk Empire took place in so I am probably a bit biased. I ogled the story as much as I did the sets and costumes. The track suits and heavy put-on accents in The Sopranos felt like characterchures and exaggerations simply for entertainment value. Kind of like Jersey Shore oversold the whole East Coast Italian'ish BS thing. Boardwalk Empire felt more authentic and less forced.

I totally agree that Boardwalk had way more production in it. Cast almost all Italian actors, film actually in NY (which of course is a stones throw from where the show is portrayed), and it’s present time. Compared to recreating Atlantic City a hundred years ago. Watching Sopranos over today, you see and hear some of the bad production. Sound effects are bad. Sets are low rent. Plus a bunch of other things. But the writing and acting still holds up. Gandolfini was a national treasure. And the nicest guy IRL supposedly, did a lot for veterans.

Sopranos was such a huge thing because it was some of the first, if not the first to regularly kill off developed characters. Wasn’t red shirts on Star Trek overs here. When they whacked Big Pussy, everybody lost their minds over that. The only character they had to “write off” was Tony’s mom. All the other actors always had no idea just how long they’d get to be on the show.

Sopranos was such a huge thing because it was some of the first, if not the first to regularly kill off developed characters. Wasn’t red shirts on Star Trek overs here. When they whacked Big Pussy, everybody lost their minds over that. The only character they had to “write off” was Tony’s mom. All the other actors always had no idea just how long they’d get to be on the show.

And imagine in todays streaming world how much they can't really do that anymore if they release the whole series at once. Day two after release, the interwebs will be gorged with spoilers before you even had a chance to watch the first episode.

And imagine in todays streaming world how much they can't really do that anymore if they release the whole series at once. Day two after release, the interwebs will be gorged with spoilers before you even had a chance to watch the first episode.

Some dump the whole season at once, but some still drop episodes weekly. Succession is one that comes to mind where we had to wait every week.

I like the confidence of dropping a weekly episode and setting up expectation. The show has to be good enough for us digital brats who want it all, now, right now!

That said, I just finished Pine Gap and even though I passed over it for months, I ended up really liking it. It’s in English.

Not sure if the inside scenes are accurate of our highest surveillance facilities but it was pretty fun to imagine it was correct.

Not sure if it was mentioned here before.

Binging on Orange Is The New Black, just finishing up season 4.

Holy fuck how did I miss this show when it came out?

Story line, character development, acting, just flat out top stuff👍

Apple TV is not exactly the juggernaut of what seems like 5 new shows green kit per week that Netflix is, but the stuff they do put out is pretty good.

Finished Silo last week. I didn’t read the books, so the ending was quite a holy shit moment for me.

And now they’ve stared Hijack with Idris Elba. I can’t see this going into multiple seasons. (I mean other than Bruce Willis/John McClane, how many times can you be put in the same situation?). But so far it’s a really good show.

Apple TV is not exactly the juggernaut of what seems like 5 new shows green kit per week that Netflix is, but the stuff they do put out is pretty good.

Finished Silo last week. I didn’t read the books, so the ending was quite a holy shit moment for me.

And now they’ve stared Hijack with Idris Elba. I can’t see this going into multiple seasons. (I mean other than Bruce Willis/John McClane, how many times can you be put in the same situation?). But so far it’s a really good show.

The Morning Show and The Last Thing he Told me are good. TMS more so than TLTHTM.

Anyone watched Foundation?

I watched foundation. "Pretty" but it was kind of confusing. I read the books a zillion years ago, and can't comment on any "accuracy". Curious what they do in the 2nd season, considering how the first one ended. Hopefully it'll be more coherent.

My wife and I really liked "For All Mankind" and are looking forward to season 4.

Thanks Berth. I'll try both as I find time. I watched "Invasion" on Apple TV and actually liked it more than I thought I would. A but of a different take on the alien invasion genre, but because of that it was enjoyable. Kinda slow at times, but nothing terrible.

Just watched the first episode of the Righteous Gemstones. Will definitely keep watching!

Started watching Die Hart last night.

Kevin Hart plays himself. Decides he doesn't want to do comedy anymore, be taken seriously and become a stunt/action actor. Also stars Nathalie Emmanuel, who you'd most likely know as Missandei, Dany's right hand woman from Game of Thrones and also John Travolta who you might know from Face Off and some other small straight to VHS/DVD movies.

First season was edited into a movie available on Amazon. Season 2 is on Roku.

It's pretty damn funny.

Blew threw a quick little series on Apple TV over the weekend. The Last Thing He Told Me. Pretty good. Jennifer Garner stars. She and her new stepdaughter unravel the mystery of why her husband of barely a year and a half just up and disappears one day. Pretty good and you can binge through through the whole 7 episode series in about 4 hours or so.

Bonus points for the Alias reunion in one episode.

What We Do in the Shadows is back next week with a new season!

Back