• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

TV Shows I am enjoying

Apologies if it's been mentioned...

Just started watching, "You Are What You Eat" on Netflix. It's a several (8 or 12 not sure) week experiment with twins eating different diets (Vegan or Omnivore) to assess how the the diets impact health differently.

I'm looking forward to the second episode.

Yeah we saw it and now Ms. BA won’t eat store-bought pork period now. Our menu got shortened. We do have the option to buy project pigs because my sis is a project breeder and consultant for 4H students. They just call them market hogs, as opposed to the show hogs, where you pay a lot more in the name of goodwill to the students. The market ones are the ones they don’t show at the fairs but had raised along with the show one, making the choice of which to show prior to fair. But they are definitely not being crammed into those giant warehouses and getting other chemical exposures like commercial.

Anyway, Ms BA is fudging on the chicken issue because they are CAFO too so at least we can eat that.

With all the obesity and sickness, it really does make sense to get more selective but it does lead to diet changes, to be sure. The show makes the important inescapable point that we just cannot eat that much meat without growing it in factory settings, risking incubating new super bugs, on and on. Very sobering.

Yeah we saw it and now Ms. BA won’t eat store-bought pork period now. Our menu got shortened. We do have the option to buy project pigs because my sis is a project breeder and consultant for 4H students. They just call them market hogs, as opposed to the show hogs, where you pay a lot more in the name of goodwill to the students. The market ones are the ones they don’t show at the fairs but had raised along with the show one, making the choice of which to show prior to fair. But they are definitely not being crammed into those giant warehouses and getting other chemical exposures like commercial.

Anyway, Ms BA is fudging on the chicken issue because they are CAFO too so at least we can eat that.

With all the obesity and sickness, it really does make sense to get more selective but it does lead to diet changes, to be sure. The show makes the important inescapable point that we just cannot eat that much meat without growing it in factory settings, risking incubating new super bugs, on and on. Very sobering.

I've been bugging my youngest to do the 4H thing at school. Same deal, pig or cow. They buy them for 500 or so and later sell them for a lot more. So far he's only helped his buddies feed their animals (Which I believe are kept at Sonoma High!).

I'm already a veg-head so it's the (apparently addictive) cheese that I have to worry about. Just like the show says, it's pretty much what keeps me from being a vegan. But I've only watched one episode, so maybe it'll tip the scales for me...

Got sucked into "Amazing Detective Di Renjie" on Amazon.
Sort of Poirot/Marpole detection mysteries with very interesting costuming, sets and lighting.
He's got a Kato that's more or less Connery 007 crossed with Jet Li.

Anyone else watching "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS?

Loved the books back in the day by James Herriot upon who the series is based.

Yes! Fourth season. Really like the show.

Beautiful country. That said, I'm glad I don't live in a stone house.

Anyone else watching "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS?

Loved the books back in the day by James Herriot upon who the series is based.

We are! We both loved the books when younger, too. We only have wifi at our 2nd place, and I’m a KQED member with Passport, so we stream a lot of stuff on PBS. The best thing I’ve seen was the Endeavour series, which is a prequel for the long-running Inspector Morse series.

Yes! Fourth season. Really like the show.

Beautiful country. That said, I'm glad I don't live in a stone house.

This last episode was hilarious as it had to do with trying to teach a defeatist how to drive a manual transmission.:laughing

Finally finished Reacher S2 on Prime.

Finally. Thankfully, that's over with.

I also binge-watched Reacher. Its ok. I didn’t get sucked in like Seal Team. Do you recommend I watch both Tom 5-foot-four Cruise’s Reacher films?

Do you recommend I watch both Tom 5-foot-four Cruise’s Reacher films?

Honestly, yea. I think the movies are better than the series. For one thing, Cruise is simply a better actor.

There's an anecdote about the criticism the movies got because Cruise is not a huge guy like in the book (and in the series), but the author basically said that the size is more as aspect of him being an unstoppable force.

I have not read the books, clearly Reacher is a no BS, direct kind of guy.

I found him to be pretty much a jerk in S1, S2 I just found dull and very formulaic. I didn't think Jason Patrick was a particularly good bad guy.

The movies are not amazing by any stretch but they're better than the series IMHO.

Honestly, yea. I think the movies are better than the series. For one thing, Cruise is simply a better actor.

There's an anecdote about the criticism the movies got because Cruise is not a huge guy like in the book (and in the series), but the author basically said that the size is more as aspect of him being an unstoppable force.

I found him to be pretty much a jerk in S1, S2 I just found dull and very formulaic. I didn't think Jason Patrick was a particularly good bad guy.

The movies are not amazing by any stretch but they're better than the series IMHO.

Robert Patrick you mean. Jason Patric was the guy from Sleepers.

I like the movies and the series all the same. Cruise is of course a better actor, but Ritchson sells me better on a guy who can kick all the asses simply because he’s built like a linebacker.

Thanks for the feedback. I mostly likely will check out the film(s).

LIONESS

MV5BMmRkMWQzZWUtZjkzNS00OWVhLTkxNDAtNzg4ODgxMTg0MTNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMzOTQyOTk1._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

So I’ve gone down the military TV show rabbit hole. Love Seal Team. Six turned out ok - Season 1 was average but Season 2 sucked me in.

I poked around Bezos Prime and discovered Lioness. I had no idea its a Taylor Sheridan show. Binged S1 E1 and S1 E2 tonight. I like.

Nicole Kidman’s face looks weirder every year.

Michael Kelly is an excellent actor.

Zoe Saldana is like a younger, unannoying version of Jada Pinkett Smith. And she is a good actor!

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing anybody mention "Masters Of The Air" yet - sure, it's only 3 episodes in so far, but it looks good so far. It brings back memories of my Dad, when we could get him to talk about his experiences as a Wireless Operator on a Lancaster bomber. While the experiences are slightly different since the RCAF took part in night bombing and the USAAF was more into daylight bombing, the show does seem to capture the life of a bomber crew.

I also binge-watched Reacher. Its ok. I didn’t get sucked in like Seal Team. Do you recommend I watch both Tom 5-foot-four Cruise’s Reacher films?

I actually got Ms BA to watch along and we finished season 1 last night. She normally hates the chop-socky or high-action hi-tech shows, of which there are so many now. Probably just likes the hunky actor, I didn’t ask.:laughing

One of the hardest things to buy is that a guy is going to walk down the highway in Georgia heat in his boots, t-shirt, no hat. At least Bronson had the Hardly. And really, it’s kinda like the first Rambo: troubled vet who wanders around and falls into action-adventure-temporary love. Pretty formulaic in this sense.

We have been watching Totems but don’t love it so much that I don’t search for other things. I tried Mr. Kim’s Convenience Store and it’s funny but kind of stuck in enough stereotyping that it gets kinda smothering, almost like a 70s era sitcom. Tried another one about a Taco Shop in So-Cal whose name escapes me at the moment. Kinda okay. I do like the actors in it. Re Mr. Kim’s, As a Pacific Rim homie, I do enjoy seeing Asian and Asian-American actors get their due and opportunities, just like with Beef.

True Detective is really humming along. It really is a superior product to most of these other shows. Really creepy this year. I wouldn’t blame people for waiting to binge whatever but we sure look forward to it each week. Even tho’ I am incapable of actually being one, I am kinda turning into a super-fan of Jodie Foster. She is killin’ it in this and has the breadth and confidence to just hang it all out there. I admire her.

Another thing about this season is Alaskan native aspect. If you think about it there is a kind of two or three-stage experience of seeing native Americans in shows. First stage is any role at all, positive or negative. Second stage is seeing roles where their social plights and challenges are depicted like reservation life, including showing dysfunctional behavior; revealing their psychological, emotional and social narratives and behaviors. Third stage will be when most people just seem them as characters and not stuck in ethnic boxes. I feel we are there with black actors, but not yet with native people. I am a big fan of Zahn McLarnon (West World, Longmire and that new show Dark Winds). He is just so dang Indian looking that I think it;s hard for him to get just any male part; but that’s on the studios and audiences to evolve and accept. I really enjoy his acting and we got to meet him in Wyoming at Longmire Days.

Last edited:
Interstellar the movie wasn't bad at all; good sound.

Wife come in from the other side of the house:

"What are you watching it's shaking the house!"

She doesn't like Matthew McConaughey so didn't watch with her.

The old Velodyne DD15 subwoofer still works well apparently.

It's good! Watch it Butch. WTR is awesome!

Back