Vintage Motorcycle Display at May Madness Car Show, San Rafael, May 11

john109G

Moto(s)
1941 Indian 640 Army Scout
I'm a Newbie this week. I put my info on that forum.

This is an invitation for pre-1979 bike folks to enter a vintage motorcycle display at the 34th Annual May Madness Car Show & Parade in San Rafael. It is May 11, 2024 on six closed blocks of Fourth Street, the main drag. This was the first filming location for American Graffiti. The cars and trucks are mostly street rods, classics, stockers. This will also be a great destination for a ride with any bikes that are not registered for the show.

I convinced the promoter to allow me to organize a display of pre-1979 motorcycles, scooters, and minibikes. We will have a nice location. There will be street, racing, trials, and trail bikes there. I have an info flyer I can email. A registration form is at www.maymadnesssanrafael.com. $30 per machine. Lots of food and beverage vendors, live music, and restaurants.

I mentioned in the BARF rides forum that if any are organized, may I suggest touring some of the fantastic roads in Marin County in the morning, and end up at the show at noon or 1 pm? Event starts at noon with participants arriving by 11. Half the cars do a parade up and down Fourth at 5 pm. Show is over at 6 pm. Those who register vintage bikes can park in our display area which is the north side of Fourth between B and C. Those not registered ought to be able to find a spot a half block away from Fourth on (south) A, (south) B, or C Streets. There are several multi-level public garages a block away.

Attachments

• Indian in front of fly cropped.jpg
    Indian in front of fly cropped.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Scott Flying Squirrel.jpg
    Scott Flying Squirrel.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 3
Forgot to say the pictures are of my Indian plus my friend Don's Scott Flying Squirrel. Both will be at this show.

If you want to register, do it now. Show is May 11. Online is best method but there is a PDF application available too. That one doesn't show a motorcycle check box but just write it in. Fee will be $30 per machine.

Good find, and nice job getting the vintage bikes involved. Like the idea of a ride. I live in San Rafael - will be there assuming it’s not raining.

Sounds like fun, I can think of several fun ways to end up in San Rafael to check out the show and grab a bite. I'll plan on checking this out.

Sounds like fun, I can think of several fun ways to end up in San Rafael to check out the show and grab a bite. I'll plan on checking this out.

Lot of good breakfast places in Marin.

Registered participants can arrive as early as 9:30. Show is officially noon-6. After 150 of the cars (the ones parked east of A St.) parade up and down Fourth St. at 5 pm, at 6 the barricades start coming down and cars and bikes have to be parked normally, meaning cars cannot be backed to the curb. Lots of people go to dinner after the show. The parade is a great time to be there.

For those with a 1978 or earlier motorcycle who will be riding to the show to be a spectator, consider registering and being IN the show. For $30 you are part of the display and don't have to deal with street or city lot parking elsewhere. Best to register online at www.MayMadnessSanRafael.com and do it ASAP because the promoter needs to plan the space. You'll have to pick up your vehicle sign and packet at Gold Rush Jewelers, 831 Fourth St., before entering the show at Fourth and D St. which is about five blocks west of there.

Regarding parking to be a spectator, there is FREE WEEKEND PARKING in the two, five story city lots at 4th & A Street and 4th & C Street. At other lots and metered street parking, there is a fee until 6 pm. Go here to learn about all San Rafael downtown parking including using credit cards:
https://www.cityofsanrafael.org/downtown-parking-locations-costs/

Cool, got a friend interested in this, so we'll probably go ride fun roads in Marin and the surrounding areas and saunter into San Rafael mid afternoon or so, should be a fun day.

Back