• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Vintage Motorcycle Display at May Madness Car Show, San Rafael, May 11

Owners of pre-1979 motorcycles, scooters, or minibikes, now is the time to register for this May 11 May Madness show in San Rafael. Great event, cars, trucks, food, music, people watching, plus a VINTAGE BIKE SECTION on Fourth Street between B and C St.

I have details if any questions. Post here because I probably can't do PMs yet.

I am the bike display coordinator.

It was nice to see you there, John.
I'm not surprised you know my friend Dave. He knows everyone at those events.

It was nice to see you there, John.
I'm not surprised you know my friend Dave. He knows everyone at those events.

I'd like to know who you are and what we talked about. I don't know if I can receive PMs. I can't send any yet. Folks can contact me at in underscore garage ahht hotmail com. If you know what I mean.

The show was very nice. We had 18 bikes at our high, including seven MX and trials bikes that an AHRMA group squeezed into their tent. They came in as a commercial exhibitor to promote vintage racing. A few of our people arrived late and a few left early. Some showed up to register that day.

We were honored to have 1969 AMA Grand National Champion Mert Lawwill spend time with us! Thanks to the Poole's for offering a chair and shade. Old timers will remember Mert was one of three riders featured in the Bruce Brown documentary in 1971, "On Any Sunday." I invited him months ago but he and we didn't want to advertise his appearance.

May Madness awarded a trophy for Best Motorcycle and my friend Don D. won it for his 500cc 1939 Rudge Ulster, a last year model. We attracted a LOT of attention from spectators and car participants, many saying they had qualifying vintage bikes at home. Marin is full of motorcyclists and ex-motorcyclists - street, trail, and racers. People who attend this car show annually are not used to seeing this many old motorcycles (and my Mini-Trail), in the same place. There was one a block away because the owner had his car there. And a man who owns a building on the next block told me he has a handful of old motorcycles and 150 bicycles. When he saw there were bikes on display he rolled a couple motorcycles to the curb in front of his building.

I put a clipboard on a table with a signup sheet for people who wanted early and inside information about the 2025 show, assuming MM gives us a dedicated space again, and another possible display this year in Marin County somewhere else. So I have some new contacts. If readers here want to be on my list, send me an email. State if you might want to display a bike and what year and type, or just want to attend.

I like the idea of putting bikes in front of car show audiences. I have been doing that lately with my ex-military jeeps. Good to cross-promote the hobbies.

Attachments

• Gawronski picture of lineup.jpg
    Gawronski picture of lineup.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7
I wish I’d known about this event, I could have brought our absolutely cherry Alpina, my former daily rider MT125, and snuck in the ATKs.

I need to meet you in meatspace z as John, are you still a member of MCMA?

I wish I’d known about this event, I could have brought our absolutely cherry Alpina, my former daily rider MT125, and snuck in the ATKs.

I need to meet you in meatspace z as John, are you still a member of MCMA?

Getting the news out about new motorcycle events or displays to people who are not in clubs or watching forums closely is a challenge. I think there should be annual motorcycle displays at car shows in Marin and other places. Reach new people. Learn where the old bikes are hidden. Vintage shows are my preference. That's why I want to build a contact list of interested people who want to display bikes or want to visit the shows.

Not in the MCMA since soon after they moved from China Camp to the Marshall riding property. In 71 I had started MX then switched to dirt track and wasn't trail riding much anymore. I had a MCMA light blue jacket with the Marin Co. image on the back and years later I cut the sleeves off so it would fit after it, uh, shrunk in the closet. Still have it.

Last edited:
Getting the news out about new motorcycle events or displays to people who are not in clubs or watching forums closely is a challenge. I think there should be annual motorcycle displays at car shows in Marin and other places. Reach new people. Learn where the old bikes are hidden. Vintage shows are my preference. That's why I want to build a contact list of interested people who want to display bikes or want to visit the shows.

Well, you've landed on the right spot :thumbup

Good news is the promoter said it went well and will be a roadmap for doing it again next May. The date for the 35th Annual May Madness Car Show & Parade is Saturday May 10, 2025.

Contact me with your contact info to get on my email list for news about this or new 2024 displays in Marin. Of course I will put the word out on BARF.

My 41 Indian and 68 Honda Mini-Trail got a lot of attention despite us having a 1939 Rudge Ulster, three Vincents, and a 1946 Moto Guzzi military Super Alce!

Attachments

• Indian at MM from video.jpg
    Indian at MM from video.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
May 10th 2025 on the calendar.

Back