• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Where do you put you valve stem nuts?

Good vid. Agrees with my philosophy

I put one on the tube and one outside HANDTIGHT

When putting the tube in, I only thread the outside nut on a couple of turns. That allows you to push the tube in, away from the tire iron, and allows room for the tire to reach the bead area.

LLS!!! Leave Loose Stems. That can be a religion, eh? Let them be free! Let them tell you what is happening. The talcum powder thing is new to me and smart and a big deal. We hate flats.

OK, [i’ve never had a tube stem failure]. The times I’ve had a puncture Was because the tubes Snake-bit, and or punctured by thorns;
On dirt bikes: on the outside of the rim I use a contoured aluminum washer that fits against the rim with a tightened nut , / been using talcum powder at every tire change for decades. The front rim uses one rim lock while the rear uses two rim locks. Even with the tightened nut. I’ve seen the valve stem at an angle. Never had a valve stem torn.
… Using the aftermarket contoured anodized aluminum washer it acts too seal/keep water from entering inside of the rim.
To each their own.

When I was racing MX or tearing up EL Mirage... NO NUTS so you can monitor tire creep and prevent the stem from ripping from the tube...

1972 Husky 250CR...
3rdPlaceTrophy4thRace.JPG

1976 Husky 250WR home made street legal mods that impressed Malcolm Smith...
250HuskyElMirage.JPG

Last edited:
Back