• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Nation-wide climate strike by students

That link is word for word the stuff you posted and underlines his point about the quality of your sources.
 
Brokenlink, my posting included the link (others have committed on it.
Your assertion, " Here is your link, by the way: ..//yournews.com " .
Did you pull that out of your .. Imagination?

No, you posted several links, but not the one you plagiarized.
 
Brokenlink, my posting included the link (others have committed on it.
Your assertion, " Here is your link, by the way: ..//yournews.com " .
Did you pull that out of your .. Imagination?

Here is the thing. I disagree with you and your stance on this issue. But that is fine. I do not expect to agree with everyone and I certainly do not expect to change anyone's mind.

But I firmly believe that if you are trying to have a rational argument or discussion, you owe it to the others involved to be upfront about your sources and provide them. I think if you go back and look at my history or arguing on BARF (a very long history I might add LOL), you will find that I always (or nearly always) provide a source for my information. And I try to find a source that is as unbiased as possible. I just think it's called being fair.

On the other hand, you have posted nothing but fringe, biased sources as "evidence" of your argument, or have just plagarized other biased sources and pretended they were your thoughts. It's not genuine and it makes you look lazy and foolish.

When you post a source, you are begging someone to refute that source and provide proof that you are wrong. In the case of what you are linking as sources, this is pretty simple to do. And you can see why nobody takes you seriously here. So I am asking you to rethink your posting manner. Be honest and genuine. Nobody faults you for believing what you believe. They fault you for posting a bunch of false information and pretending (or honestly thinking) that it is real.
 
U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

PETER JAMES SPIELMANN June 30, 1989 GMT https://apnews.com/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0

UNITED NATIONS (AP) _ A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.

Coastal flooding and crop failures would create an exodus of ″eco- refugees,′ ′ threatening political chaos, said Noel Brown, director of the New York office of the U.N. Environment Program, or UNEP.

He said governments have a 10-year window of opportunity to solve the greenhouse effect before it goes beyond human control.

As the warming melts polar icecaps, ocean levels will rise by up to three feet, enough to cover the Maldives and other flat island nations, Brown told The Associated Press in an interview on Wednesday.

Coastal regions will be inundated; one-sixth of Bangladesh could be flooded, displacing a fourth of its 90 million people. A fifth of Egypt’s arable land in the Nile Delta would be flooded, cutting off its food supply, according to a joint UNEP and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency study.

″Ecological refugees will become a major concern, and what’s worse is you may find that people can move to drier ground, but the soils and the natural resources may not support life. Africa doesn’t have to worry about land, but would you want to live in the Sahara?″ he said.

UNEP estimates it would cost the United States at least $100 billion to protect its east coast alone.

Shifting climate patterns would bring back 1930s Dust Bowl conditions to Canadian and U.S. wetlands, while the Soviet Union could reap bumper crops if it adapts its agriculture in time, according to a study by UNEP and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.

Excess carbon dioxide is pouring into the atmosphere because of humanity’s use of fossil fuels and burning of rain forests, the study says. The atmosphere is retaining more heat than it radiates, much like a greenhouse.

The most conservative scientific estimate that the Earth’s temperature will rise 1 to 7 degrees in the next 30 years, said Brown.

The difference may seem slight, he said, but the planet is only 9 degrees warmer now than during the 8,000-year Ice Age that ended 10,000 years ago.

Brown said if the warming trend continues, ″the question is will we be able to reverse the process in time? We say that within the next 10 years, given the present loads that the atmosphere has to bear, we have an opportunity to start the stabilizing process.″

He said even the most conservative scientists ″already tell us there’s nothing we can do now to stop a ... change″ of about 3 degrees.

″Anything beyond that, and we have to start thinking about the significant rise of the sea levels ... we can expect more ferocious storms, hurricanes, wind shear, dust erosion.″

He said there is time to act, but there is no time to waste.

UNEP is working toward forming a scientific plan of action by the end of 1990, and the adoption of a global climate treaty by 1992. In May, delegates from 103 nations met in Nairobi, Kenya - where UNEP is based - and decided to open negotiations on the treaty next year.

Nations will be asked to reduce the use of fossil fuels, cut the emission of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases such as methane and fluorocarbons, and preserve the rain forests.

″We have no clear idea about the ecological minimum of green space that the planet needs to function effectively. What we do know is that we are destroying the tropical rain forest at the rate of 50 acres a minute, about one football field per second,″ said Brown.

Each acre of rain forest can store 100 tons of carbon dioxide and reprocess it into oxygen.

Brown suggested that compensating Brazil, Indonesia and Kenya for preserving rain forests may be necessary.

The European Community istalking about a half-cent levy on each kilowatt- hour of fossil fuels to raise $55 million a year to protect the rain forests, and other direct subsidies may be possible, he said.

The treaty could also call for improved energy efficiency, increasing conservation, and for developed nations to transfer technology to Third World nations to help them save energy and cut greenhouse gas emissions, said Brown.
 
Chuck,

It's good that you're attributing your sources now, but as a procedural matter, I request that you just quote the portion of the article that supports the point you're trying to make. Quoting a whole article can result in copyright headaches that none of us want.

The accepted practice is to quote the supporting text and include a link to the source article.

Thanks.
 
Well just poking around the article. They predicted between 1-7 degrees, it already rose around 1 something.
Pretty much everyone accepted it will be 2 or probably 3.
We already see some impact of ocean rising on coastal, and some low level island communities.
We see economic refugees due to droughts becomingore severe and frequent.

So seems like pretty much everything article has mentioned is happening...
 
I was gonna eat a steak last night, but then I thought...WWGD...and instead I had some organic lettuce that was grown by oppressed lesbians operating in a fair trade zone and distributed by a minority woman owned company that operates a fleet of only biodiesel and natural gas burning trucks and delivers only to locally-owned same sex mom and mom or pop and pop grocery stores.

Nahhh, I had the steak.
 
I was gonna eat a steak last night, but then I thought...WWGD...and instead I had some organic lettuce that was grown by oppressed lesbians operating in a fair trade zone and distributed by a minority woman owned company that operates a fleet of only biodiesel and natural gas burning trucks and delivers only to locally-owned same sex mom and mom or pop and pop grocery stores.

Nahhh, I had the steak.

Someone got triggered. :laughing
 
I was gonna eat a steak last night, but then I thought...WWGD...and instead I had some organic lettuce that was grown by oppressed lesbians operating in a fair trade zone and distributed by a minority woman owned company that operates a fleet of only biodiesel and natural gas burning trucks and delivers only to locally-owned same sex mom and mom or pop and pop grocery stores.

Nahhh, I had the steak.

:laughing

Ahh, so you have been to Berkeley.
 
Poll says otherwise: 3/4 left leaning, 1/4 right leaning. In the KS.

Which poll? What was the question? Was it "What is your political leaning?" Or "What is your perception of the optical leanings of the sink?"

Because you'll get very different answers
 
There was this poll in the PF which counted Republicans vs. not. Not a very good measure of right vs. left though.
 
On a different note I am glad to see the rules for political posts in KS are far more relaxed now. Maybe we can actually enjoy some interesting discussions.
 
Back
Top