• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Julian's 2022 Dirtbag Challeneg build!

Frame Maker

Moto(s)
sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name
Julian
First off, NO! DBC 2022 has not started yet.

Okay, here's what's going on... last year I was fully immersed in my RZ350 frame project and did not participate in Dirtbag. Well that is not going to happen this year. In fact this year marks the 20th anniversary of the famed challenge and there is speculation that something amazing might be brewing this year. Even if its same old, same old, I still don't want to sit out again.

If your following my RZ350 project you already know that it is still a work in progress and not close to completion. Well, after a few sleepless nights in Livermore I came up with a plan. Unlike past years when I've spent months (sometimes years) planning my DBC builds followed by months of CAD design, I don't have the band width for that type of build right now. So this will be more of the traditional cut and paste random pieces together with very minimal custom fabrication. Well, there might be a little of that. We'll see.

Inspired by a cool bike I recently saw on another forum, I've come up with a plan that will evolve around an old vintage frame that I'd forgotten about. The frame has had tabs and brackets cut off while in its former life as a race bike, so it has no restoration value. I tend to be anal about taking care of DMV issues up front when I purchase bikes and often with frames. So the title transfer has already been done and I have title in my name with the frame on non-op status:thumbup

Per common interpretation of Dirt Bag rules, its okay to collect parts and pieces ahead of time. So that's what I've done. In feeding frenzy over the past few weeks I've made numerous eBay purchases and I found a sweet little Penske shock on Craig's list for cheap!

I'll post more photos and details when the proper time comes. But for now, here's a sneak peak... :twofinger

20220221_164952 by andbike, on Flickr

Last edited:
Multiple Julian threads going on at once. My productivity is gonna take a serious hit. My boss is gonna hate you! :laughing

It takes a fair few foil pans to fabricate oneself a motorcycle.

Foil pans... ha, not too far off! I've often thought about building an all sheet metal bike for Dirtbag:party

Nope, Dirtbag time has not arrived yet, however my build options have increased:drool

Where do I start... okay, I'll start by mentioning that there are certain perks that come with being a Dirtbag. For one, Dirtbags are a fairly close group of individuals who like to support each other whenever we can. Second, it's assumed (for good reason) that Dirtbags are capable of taking a pile of turds and make... well not gold, but maybe something a little less of a turd.

So two weeks ago I get a call asking if I'd be interested in free Honda Hawk NT650. Oh, and also a CR250 that's kinda turned into a supermoto. That's a no brainer. I'll take anything that is free:thumbup

The Honda Hawk gets delivered right to my driveway. Its a former race bike built by my friend Kevin a few years back. Last year Kevin was cleaning out his shop and donated several motos into the kingdom of Dirtbags. It was passed between a few folks before eventually landing in my driveway two weeks ago.

Then off to San Francisco where I'd pick up the CR250. While I'm there we get onto the subject of 500 Ninjas. Turns out there is also a 500 Ninja race bike that is also in need of a new home as my friend is moving and needs to clear out his storage space. So we load up the CR and the Ninja along with two spare Ninja engines.

My friend then notices that I still have space in my truck so he pulls out an air compressor that he is no longer using. That goes into my truck. There is still some space left, so he fills the small spaces with a set of wheels and forks that came from an early KTM 690 Duke.

I offer to pay some gold coins as this stuff has real world value... but my offer is declined. Fucking Dirtbags:twofinger

Back home, this is how the pile of turds looks when unloaded...

20220425_094848 by andbike, on Flickr

20220425_094803 by andbike, on Flickr

20220425_093815 by andbike, on Flickr

20220425_093704 by andbike, on Flickr

20220425_093651 by andbike, on Flickr

20220424_094341 by andbike, on Flickr

So now what to do? The hawk is tentatively slated for a new home with another Dirtbag, but he's kinda on the fence as he has too many projects already. Will wait and see.

To night I got the CR250 running. It just needed the tank drained of what I think was soap water, and the petcock cleaned of gunk. It has super healthy compression (I had to but on an MX boot to kick it over without killing my foot). Some fresh pre-mix and few kicks and it fired up. If there had been a chain I probably could have gone around the block. So this is a serious Dirtbag candidate bike as I've kinda wanted to build a MX powered street hooligan bike.

The 500 Ninja has bunch of back fees due, so it will become a parts donor for my Ninja project (see other build thread).

If I do put the CR engine into a street frame, I have just the frame to use. This RZ350 frame (along with a pile of parts) has been traded back and forth a few times with my good friend Willie. The last time I received the frame back from Willie it was cut into 4 pieces (its a Willie thing that I can't really explain). Anyway, the frame is titled, non-opp'd, and in my name... because Willie never transferred to his name (also a Willie thing I can't explain). Anyway, it just needs some re-assembly and good to go:party

20220506_125944 by andbike, on Flickr

Okay, there are all of my options for the 2022 Dirtbag Challenge. What direction would you choose? And don't forget about my original plans with the stack of boxes that arrived from eBay and CL:dunno

This is some funny stuff. Awesome.

Woah, that Hawk has some increasingly hard to find bits, Fox Shock, Hawk Connection subframe, F3 front, I think those are M4 headers, big NTV tank, not sure what those rear sets are, but that's a neat chain roller integration. And who knows what's under the hood, flat sides? falicon crank? 700cc? In the Hawk world, that's an all caps score!

Woah, that Hawk has some increasingly hard to find bits, Fox Shock, Hawk Connection subframe, F3 front, I think those are M4 headers, big NTV tank, not sure what those rear sets are, but that's a neat chain roller integration. And who knows what's under the hood, flat sides? falicon crank? 700cc? In the Hawk world, that's an all caps score!

According to my friend who built the bike, the complete exhaust system was built by an engineer at Hindle. The story I was told is that one of the engineers was actively racing Hawks and built 10 complete systems. Somehow Keven was able to get one..

Under the hood I believe it is still stock displacement, but Kevin mentioned cams and possibly some head work. Unfortunately no flat-slide carbs.

If parts weren't so scarce these days, I'd be tempted to keep it and convert back to street use. I had one about 20 years ago and certainly was a fun bike.

According to my friend who built the bike, the complete exhaust system was built by an engineer at Hindle. The story I was told is that one of the engineers was actively racing Hawks and built 10 complete systems. Somehow Keven was able to get one..

Ok, it doesn't get much cooler than that.

Under the hood I believe it is still stock displacement, but Kevin mentioned cams and possibly some head work. Unfortunately no flat-slide carbs.

Makes sense, given whatever rules were in place during that time for racing. Probably megacycle cams

[/QUOTE]

If parts weren't so scarce these days, I'd be tempted to keep it and convert back to street use. I had one about 20 years ago and certainly was a fun bike.

Stock parts aren't that hard to find, but what you have is. If I wasn't trying to unload mine, I'd be soliciting you with reckless abandon. Anyway, I hope that you or the new dirtbag builder don't hack up the rare bits...Actually, you can hack up anything and make it better, either way I'm looking forward to following this thread.

how cool is that NTV tank? google tells me it's 19 liters/5 US gallons?

always loved the Hawk NT650 but it was never on my radar screen due to the 100 +/- mile fuel range/3 gallon tank.

can't say I ever heard of the NTV. that tank alone would make a killer Dirt Bag Hawk GT/bike.

Last edited:
I'm having s hard time following along which is 100% my fault.

that said, 250cc smoker in the hawk frame would be pretty cool.

Okay, there are all of my options for the 2022 Dirtbag Challenge. What direction would you choose? And don't forget about my original plans with the stack of boxes that arrived from eBay and CL:dunno

did you reveal what the the original idea was?

I'd probably just save the neck from the cut up frame with clean paperwork for future shenannegins. those stamped numbers and matching paper are worth more than lugging the cut up bits around

how cool is that NTV tank? google tells me it's 19 liters/5 US gallons?

always loved the Hawk NT650 but it was never on my radar screen due to the 100 +/- mile fuel range/3 gallon tank.

can't say I ever heard of the NTV. that tank alone would make a killer Dirt Bag Hawk GT/bike.

Ya, the NTV tank is in good shape. It has one small dent that would be easy for a PDR (paintless dent repair) shop to pop out. Apparently the NTVs were a cruiser version of the Hawk GT sold in Europe.

I'm having s hard time following along which is 100% my fault.

that said, 250cc smoker in the hawk frame would be pretty cool.

Thats a interesting idea, except that the Hawk already has a race prepped engine (cams, head work, etc.) so I'd kinda like to keep it a Hawk, but maybe find some of the original parts and return it to street use. It would probably be a fun bike on the street.

did you reveal what the the original idea was?

I'd probably just save the neck from the cut up frame with clean paperwork for future shenannegins. those stamped numbers and matching paper are worth more than lugging the cut up bits around

Nope, I haven't revealed the original concept... but from what you can see in the pictures it appears to include an RD400 frame and mono-shock suspension:thumbup

Funny, you mention saving the neck... I got a call last week that there were more parts to go with the 500 Ninja including another Ninja frame neck with papers:party

As for the cut up RZ350 frame, I'm almost looking at is as a personal challenge to put it back together.:teeth

So many options:wow

The motorcycle world can be small sometimes: auntiebling's recommendation of putting the 2T engine the hawk, started me looking for a hawk, I remember, that had an RZ or RD engine in it, I didn't find it. but what I did find on the Hawk GT Forum was a thread and picture of your Yamaha A-N-D FFE 350 - Forkless Two-Smoker and a link to the odd bike write up. Funny circle search this morning.

The motorcycle world can be small sometimes: auntiebling's recommendation of putting the 2T engine the hawk, started me looking for a hawk, I remember, that had an RZ or RD engine in it, I didn't find it. but what I did find on the Hawk GT Forum was a thread and picture of your Yamaha A-N-D FFE 350 - Forkless Two-Smoker and a link to the odd bike write up. Funny circle search this morning.

Ha! Small world these 2-stroke motorcycles live in!

Here is an RZ350 engine in a Hawk.

https://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7704&start=90

Last post in 2016 and the bike was not completed at that time. He did a great job on the hybridizing.

I bought a Hawk to do this but too many projects so sold it.

This Hawk is available if you still want to give it a try :teeth

Here is an RZ350 engine in a Hawk.

https://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7704&start=90

Last post in 2016 and the bike was not completed at that time. He did a great job on the hybridizing.

I bought a Hawk to do this but too many projects so sold it.

Ha! Small world these 2-stroke motorcycles live in!

This Hawk is available if you still want to give it a try :teeth

Do it! I know the both of you together or individually have the chops to do it and do it right!

Last edited:
No mention of a new storage shed! CR 250 deserves dirtbag glory.

Back