• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

500 Ninja re-animated!

Frame Maker

Moto(s)
sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name
Julian
Call me crazy for starting yet another project... especially for starting a project that from the beginning I'm not sure if I will ever complete. But here goes...

A long time ago, but not so far far away. In a period before the famed AK-1s and Gibson framed bikes ruled the AFM 500 Twins universe. The common upgrade for EX500s and 500 Ninjas was swapping forks and wheels from CBR600F2s. During that time, there was a local landmark business known as Super Cycle. Super Cycle was operated by my friend Jonus. Jonus was (and still is) a very good business man. He would often sell salvaged EX500s and 500 Ninjas as a package deal with race prep included. That's were I came in. My friend Bob and I would get the task of race prepping these bikes. I would do the CAD work and Bob would do the machining. We did a number of these little Ninjas so it became almost an assembly line for us.

Fast forward and for unexplainable reasons, I have the urge to build another 500 Ninja + CBR600 F2... plus a few twists of my own are included in the vision.

From my days campaigning the AK-1s, I have a pile (literally) of 500 Ninja engines. I've got radiators and wiring harnesses. I even have an extra upper fairing which have become very difficult to find in good condition. What I don't have, or didn't have until a few weeks ago was a stock frame and CBR600 F2 parts.

Well a cheap frame popped on on eBay. The seller used some fright company for shipping, so it was much cheaper than going by usual carriers. So that was easy.

20220227_122709 by andbike, on Flickr

Next was trying to find the needed CBR600 parts. There are plenty on eBay, but no particularly good deals. I decided to cast a wider net and did some searching on FB Marketplace. Voila! Someone had a complete CBR that they were parting out. They were planning to keep the engine and electrics, but everything else was available. It was kinda local, but still 3 hours away in the middle of nowhere a few miles north of ThunderHill. I made the trip on a Sunday night. The seller was super nice and even though I only needed wheels, forks, and brakes, he kept everything attached to the frame which made transporting much easier. He even offered to give me all of the bodywork for no extra cost, but I declined on those parts. I spotted a not too badly damaged Yoshimura RS-3 muffler from the CBR which I did accept. It ended up being a 6+ hour round trip, but it was late evening so traffic wasn't bad. It was actually a nice relaxing drive and I got everything I needed and then some.:thumbup

20220226_140600 by andbike, on Flickr

haha ... :gsxrgrl

1990s AFM 500 Twins Kawasaki Ninja/EX500/AK-1/Gibson
racebike glory days! :party

man, I had such an epic pile of EX500 engines/parts/bikes. :laughing
still get non-op notices for EX500s. :facepalm

talk about an esoteric subculture ... so in! :thumbup

Last edited:
Another great thread of yours for me to follow, Julian! :thumbup
You wouldn't happen to have a headlamp assembly for an EX500 in that pile of parts, would you?

There is a local motorcycle designer who recently built a custom bike that is now winning big awards and has been invited to shows around the world. He began his design exploration for his project by starting with color selection. Also being a professional designer I kinda get it. We did stuff in school where we created "mood boards" and would often look at CMF (color/materials/finishes) samples. But at the same time, part of me says WTF? No one starts a motorcycle project be selecting the color, then designing everything else!

Well, fuck! I'm now doing exactly that with my Ninja project. Maybe because in my brain I already have a good idea of how the finished bike will look. Or maybe because I just saw a production bike that got me excited because of the colors. I donno, but here I go down the color rabbit hole...

First, this is bike that got me excited about color. Yamaha FZ09. I love the bright wheels contrasted by the subtle gray tones of the body and frame...

FZ09 by andbike, on Flickr

I also like subtle urban camouflage. The Boxer Axis 749 is a concept bike that I fell in love with back in the late 80s. The clean simple lines are still amazing, but I am also drawn to the subtle colors and random vertical camo look...

Alain Carre Axis 749 Yamaha Sacha Lakic by andbike, on Flickr

Of course I don't want to copy the exact yellow of the FZ09 wheels, but thinking about using Kawasaki lime green that was popular in the late 90s/2000s...

2006-kawasaki-ninja-500r by andbike, on Flickr

Last weekend, my wife and I traveled to Jackson MS to see our daughter present her senior project (which was amazing!). We transferred flights in Houston. While walking through the airport terminal there was an art display with 3 or 4 automotive shaped sculptures each painted in a custom design. One was an interesting urban camo design. So more inspiration for the Ninja project...

20220313_120942 by andbike, on Flickr

Then a few days ago while snooping online I came across an add for this Ninja (maybe it belongs to someone on BARF?) with the look I'm after. Bright green wheels, matching logos, and subtle gray everything else...

ninja w green wheels by andbike, on Flickr

To officially begin my process I placed an order for powder coat samples from Prismatic. Once I have samples in had, I'll look for someone local with a classic lime green Kawasaki and see if any of my samples are a match. First step is to get a bunch of free samples ordered...

prismatic green samples by andbike, on Flickr

More to follow, although this is still a low priority project:x

Another great thread of yours for me to follow, Julian! :thumbup
You wouldn't happen to have a headlamp assembly for an EX500 in that pile of parts, would you?

Jeff, are you looking for a first gen or second gen headlight? I think I have both, but probably going to hang on to any second gen parts since those are what I use on my projects. Anyway, let me know which style and I'll take a look.

It's a 2005 EX500, I presume 2nd gen (?). It was my son's high school commuter. He parked it in my garage after he graduated and went off to college in Canada. I have since more or less adopted it and began riding the shit out of it. The overall bike is amazingly clean but the headlamp seems to have disintegrated internally and sounds like a maraca when going over bumps. The bike's a keeper so tat detail is a must-fix. As you are surely aware, the dealer wants a million $$ and the used market is almost non-existent.

Back on track to your project.....I love the neon rims with the matching badging on that Kawi. That's a very tidy look. :thumbup

It's a 2005 EX500,... but the headlamp seems to have disintegrated internally and sounds like a maraca when going over bumps.

Back on track to your project.....I love the neon rims with the matching badging on that Kawi. That's a very tidy look. :thumbup

Yes, 2005 would be a gen2. Sounds like it just needs a new bulb. Those are about $10 on eBay.

I'm not sure I want to go full neon on the wheels, but the bright lime green for sure:thumbup

I'm not sure where this project is going, but here's a quick update...

A few weeks ago I received a few color samples from Prismatic Powders. Now to figure out if any of them are close to classic Kawasaki green. Anyone in the east bay have a green Kawasaki that I could visit and compare. Oh wait, I have a green Kawasaki. I wonder if the green they used in mid 70s is the same green that they used in the mid 90s:dunno

20220325_092732 by andbike, on Flickr

my 1975 KT250. Has Kawasaki green always been this shade?

91910764_10158268446014468_6647928428618055680_o by andbike, on Flickr

Last week I received bearings with inside diameter to fit the CBR600 stem, and outside diameter to match the 500 Ninja frame... but turns out the stem is too short. As mentioned previously, it was many years ago when I did this fork swap so I forget the details. Anyway, looks like I'll need to get a longer stem made. So this stem I cut the weld off and pressed the stem out of the lower clamp. Now ready to reverse engineer and put into CAD. I'll add about 15mm to the length.

20220416_172452 by andbike, on Flickr

20220416_172947 by andbike, on Flickr

20220417_104641 by andbike, on Flickr

Thats it for now.:thumbup

Since last time, this arrived in my driveway (more details on how it was acquired in my 2022 Dirtbag build thread). The frame is still in the DMV system with over $800 in fees due, so this is likely to just be a parts donor. No idea if or how well it runs, but it does have a CBR600F2 front end and a Fox Shock with a ZR-something swingarm installed. On the front end it appears to have NOT needed the stem to be lengthening, as I'm planning. I will investigate for further details.

20220425_093704 by andbike, on Flickr

20220425_093815 by andbike, on Flickr

Looking at the pictures, can anyone identify the swingarm?

Last edited:
Looks a lot like a swingarm from a first or second generation ZX6 1990-94

Over the weekend I had a brain fart to keep the ZX6 rear wheel and replace the CBR600 front wheel and forks with ZX6 wheel and forks to match the rear. Turns out these mid 90s era ZX6 parts are difficult to find in good condition. Then I came a cross a seller on Marketplace with a very clean set of ZX6 wheels and forks for sale. The wheels are already the Kawasaki green and in great condition:party We had a brief conversation last night about shipping, then this morning he replies saying that he's decided he won't ship the parts:x

Anyone on BARF near Youngstown OH willing to pickup some wheels and forks and ship them west? Okay, its a long shot but thought I'd ask...lol.

ninja wheel by andbike, on Flickr

ninja rear wheel by andbike, on Flickr

Pretty green wheels there. It may be the photo but the front one looks bent at about 11 o'clock???

Pretty green wheels there. It may be the photo but the front one looks bent at about 11 o'clock???

I was about to say the same thing but it must be the photo, no way Julian misses that.

I was about to say the same thing but it must be the photo, no way Julian misses that.

Yes, the bend was noticed. I think it would have been easy to fix. But now that the seller reversed on his decision to ship, the bend is no longer a concern.

I'm finally back to working on my own projects after taking on a big client project. I just wrapped up construction of seven scooter frames for a friend's startup business. It was a fun project, but I'm happy to be back working on my own motos.

Okay, where did we leave off... I posted the free EX500 race bike that I picked up a few months ago. Unfortunately it has a lot of DMV back fees, so I started looking for another cheap EX500 or Ninja to possibly use the frame. As luck would have it, I came across a complete 500 Ninja on Craigslist for the amazing low price of FREE!!! I hessitated for a few days before emailing the "seller". They replied that someone was scheduled to see the bike the same day. DAMN!!! But wait, they emailed back that evening and said the "buyer" was a no-show. Bike was mine if I wanted it. Hell ya! I was all over that shit. Drove into SF the next day and met an amazingly nice couple. It had been the girlfriend/wife's bike, but crashed a few years ago and parked. They were smart enough to file a non-op with DMV. Yes!

This week I finally got my friend's scooter frames finished, so time to dive deeper into the EX/Ninjas. First wanted to see if the former race bike would run. I did a quick cleaning of the pilot jets since they are first to go bad. Borrowed a good battery from another bike. Put fresh fuel in the tank... and fired it up. It runs! There are some odd noises from the engine and a big puff of black smoke and bits of rust came out of the exhaust for a minute or two of running. Ill plan to do a valve adjustment and check the timing chain tension. But for now, just happy that it runs and has some potential.

A few days later, I repeat the process on the stock bike. Unfortunately the fuel varnish in the carbs and tank is really bad. I can't even get the pilot jets out. This carb might be toast. Luckily I have several other carb sets and first one I grab has been re-jetted for a race setup. No problem. I install that carb. I also swap to a cleaner tank. Add fresh gas. After a long bit of cranking it fires up. Free Ninja #2 is running! Once it was warmed up, this bike just sat and purred. The engine sounded very smooth and tight.

Side note: some of you may have seen my post in the General sub-forum about doing a title transfer without leaving home... that was for this bike. Clean title now in my name with no back fees, and now hearing the engine run really well. Score!

Here is with the newer tank (original was purple and has a few dents). I have a matching black fairing, so its going to be black for now.

20220716_142120 by andbike, on Flickr

Okay, I have a few other posts to update so moving over to my 2022 Dirtbag thread...

Its been many months since I've updated this thread, and for good reason. Between Dirtbag 2022, my RZ350 re-frame project, and then the Tigcraft coming into my garage, I was starting to think this little Ninja project would just wither away and become abandoned... until this happened!

20221230_152136 by andbike, on Flickr

Yes, that's three more Ninja 500s crammed into the back of my little Tacoma. Don't ask how they all fit. I'm still trying to figure that out myself.:dunno Oh, and what isn't seen in the photo is the Extra Cab is completely stuffed with parts!

Okay, the back story. Early last week I was minding my own business and just snooping through the EX500 Ninja forum on FB when I see someone advertising a fairly nice gen2 for $500. The description goes on to mention that the bike was brought in from Oregon and was sold without a title. That combined with it being under the required 7500 miles required for an out-of-state vehicle, the seller simply didn't want to deal with the DMV headache.

Thinking the bodywork alone would be worth $500, I went ahead and contacted the seller. He reiterated about not wanting to deal with the DMV and so forth. As we were chatting, he mentions that he has 3 other bikes that he needs to sell and that this is the first one posted. He mentions that he has an even nicer 500 Ninja that was also brought in from out-of-state, but it has a title and has just over 7500 miles, so it should be an easy transfer. He goes on to mention that the bodywork looks nearly new! Out of curiosity I enquire as to what color scheme that bike is? Kawasaki lime green! That's the one color that I'd really, really like to have. (Remember my earlier posts about Kawaski green wheels). FUCK! Now I'm interested in TWO Ninjas. Damn it! I then make the mistake of asking how much he wants for that bike? He tells me I can have both for $1500 Double, fuck, damn, shit!!! Now I'm planning to go buy two bikes that I really don't need.

But wait, there's more. There is always more! So, during our conversation he explains that his daily rider is also a 500 Ninja but with a big-bore kit. He bought the green bike just so he could put the bodywork onto his big-bore bike. So when I ask for pictures, he sends pictures of the green bodywork still on his big-bore bike. In the pictures I could see its had newer forks added. A wider swinagarm had been added. It looks like a CBR600 F2 rear wheel, and I could almost make out the remote reservoir of a Fox Shock. He had done some nice upgrades! Anyway, the green bodywork looked good, so I started making plans to see both bikes. We agreed to Friday afternoon since we both had the day off work. Then I get THE TEXT... he asks me how big my trailer is? I respond telling I'm coming in a small Toyota pick-up... and by the way, why are you asking? He then replies telling me that he is throwing in the big-bore bike... FOR THE SAME PRICE!!! WHAT???? HOLY SHIT!!! That's correct, all three bikes for what would be a really awesome price for one! I can't believe it.

I make the three hour drive with no drama and not much rain. He turns out to be one of the nicest guys I've met in a long time. He was just fed up with the rain and leaky roofs and a flooded driveway, so getting a few projects out of his garage would be a few less things in his life to worry about. It was a win-win situation.

Like I said, I'm not sure how we managed to get all three bikes into my truck, but it happened. The nice green bodywork would end up wrapped in blankets up front in the cab. Mufflers being the widest point on the motos were strategically removed where bikes were against bikes. That helped. A wheel chock was also included and that helped secure the center bike which was loaded backwards. Somehow they all fit with no room to spare. Same in the cab. Mufflers, fairing, side panels, seats, a few extra parts and the front was completely full. The rain hit hard on the way home, but I went slow and was sure to include the obligatory stop at In-N-Out for a late lunch. It was a good day!

New Years Day was mostly sunny, so I decided to get all three out for closer examination and to see if any of them would run? Given the amazing price and dealing with rain I didn't think it too important to check this minor detail at the time of purchase. First bike to check was the big-bore bike. The seller mentioned something about needing new batteries, but the bike turned over and fired to life. Cool! At least one runs! I didn't bother with a seat and decided to make a pass up and down the street. Crap! First problem, it won't go into gear. Oh wait, maybe, just maybe he converted to GP shift? Yep! I click the lever UP and I hear it pop into gear. So up and down the street through a few gears and its smooth and makes good power, although I didn't go too crazy considering no seat, no mufflers, and street full of wet leaves waiting to take me down. Back into the driveway and parked. I've now got a huge smile on my face:teeth

Next up is the out-of-state bike with no title. Its a bit more stubborn, but finally fires to life! idles smooth. I hop on and decide to do a lap around the block. It runs very smooth but has huge hesitation upon acceleration. I'm thinking clogged pilot jets, but later I think about a little more and conclude that the slides in the CV carbs are probably gummed up and sticking. That should be supper easy to fix. So bike two is :thumbup

Bike three, the second one from out-of-state that the nice bodywork originally came on doesn't have a battery, so a test run/ride will have to wait.

20230101_123056 by andbike, on Flickr

So now the fun part, deciding what I'm going to do with four 500 Ninjas (don't forget about the original one in this thread). And more specifically, what to do with the out-of-state-no-title bike? My normal thinking would be to find a cheap out-of-state frame off eBay. Use the engine and the newly acquired eBay frame and present to DMV as an "assembled from parts" vehicle. Yes, that is something tha DMV allows and is very similar process to getting title on a home constructed vehicle except that the frame already has a VIN. This process exploits two loopholes in the DMV system. They don't track the owners of out-of-state vehicles so it could come from anyone so long as it isn't stolen (CHP will check that detail). And second, because motorcycles in California require both VIN (frame) and engine numbers for a title, they can't expect you to have a title for a bare frame. So, a simple bill-of-sale is enough. Someone is probably going to ask why I don't I just get a bill of sale for the engine and frame for the original bike if DMV doesn't have any history? Well, it is very possible that CHP could have eyes into the history and them seeing both components coming from the same original bike would throw red flags.

Another option that I am more seriously considering is sacrificing the no-title bike for parts to complete the other three bike. Let me explain... Between the big-bore bike and the second out-of-state bike, there is only one complete set of bodywork (plus a tank and front fender). So body work is needed for one of those two bikes. The big-bore bike had the sub-frame chopped and then replaced VERY poorly. I've never seen a frame "glued" together with bondo until now:wow The big-bore bike also has a weird modification done to the wiring harness, so maybe that should be replaced:dunno I'm now thinking that my original 500 might need to go away, because I now have a big-bore 500 as my primary Ninja project:thumbup If it goes away, I might want to keep the suspension upgrade parts since they likely won't add much re-sale value, and would be worth more selling individually on eBay. The stock wheels and suspension from the no-title bike could go onto that bike.

Anyway, I've got to get back to my RZ350 re-frame project as I've just made my submission for The One Show in April. Till then the Ninja's will wait... although I am curious what you think I should do with the no-title bike? Try to title with another frame? Part it out to help complete the other bikes? Or something else?

Oh, and Happy New Year!:party

Crap, I just realized there is a big gap in my story... between my July 16th post and now, I've installed a complete CBR600 front-end off the free race bike onto the free stock bike. I've also removed the ZX? swingarm, Fox Shock, and 4.5x17 ZX? rear wheel from the free race bike and those parts are waiting to be installed onto the free stock bike, or maybe not:dunno The free race bike has now been re-homed with a coworker... for free. Sorry no pictures, but I think that fills in some missing details.:thumbup

3 for 1 sale!!! Got to love that.

3 for 1 sale!!! Got to love that.

Yeah, there's something not fair about that.
The guy that keeps engineering bikes from scratch suddenly has three just jump into his truck one day.
I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your abilities or your opportunities. :laughing

Back