• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

642 miles - is that good for a rear tire?

Right now, the next set of tires I intend to buy for my second XR650L will be Shinko 705's. I don't know what to expect from those in the dirt, but expect great things on the street.
I had the 705s on my DR650 and they were awful off-road; did not like them much on-road either.

I am now using the Shinko 700s and they are a far better tyre, both on-road and especially off-road; unfortunately, they do not last as long as the 705s, but at least they're cheap.

Maybe you should take a look into converting your wheels to tubeless; it's not difficult to do, and it will give you peace of mind and save you expense and agony.

+1 on the TKCs. I never got comfortable with the squirming on riding on the road. I use Conti escapes as a more road going alternative, and have no complaints. I have ridden them in mud and gravel.

The only issue I had was being unable to slow the bike as much as I would like on a downhill descent on dirt with full bags, and that was primarily rider error not getting my weight far enough back. Still with knobbies I think it would have masked this error.

My riding is 90%+ road, and I would not get another set of TKCs for that proportion of riding. Maybe 60/40 road/dirt they are a great tire.

I had a set of TKC80's on my KLR650 and hated them. Even posted about them here. With much trepidation I put a set on my GSA recently, and they're a *totally* different tire on the bigger bike. Other than being a little more vibey at low speeds, they're just as good on pavement as the Tourances they replaced. I can rail them as hard as I dare on pavement, and they're pure gold in the dirt. The only drawback is tire life, especially on the rear.

I had a set of TKC80's on my KLR650 and hated them. Even posted about them here. With much trepidation I put a set on my GSA recently, and they're a *totally* different tire on the bigger bike. Other than being a little more vibey at low speeds, they're just as good on pavement as the Tourances they replaced. I can rail them as hard as I dare on pavement, and they're pure gold in the dirt. The only drawback is tire life, especially on the rear.

Intersting. Thanks for the info!

Back