• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

At what age...

I always wanted to ride with my brother, and he saw me on bikes ever since he could remember (we are 14 years apart) so on 18th bday I bought him a GS500 and a certificate to MSF course....well, he said no. Now I wish I would have done something earlier.

mitiasbikes said:
I always wanted to ride with my brother, and he saw me on bikes ever since he could remember (we are 14 years apart) so on 18th bday I bought him a GS500 and a certificate to MSF course....well, he said no. Now I wish I would have done something earlier.

O.O

Posted from Bayarearidersforum.com App for Android

My son started at 4... by the time he was 6 he preferred playing basketball..
So I coached basketball. He still plays hoops at 34 and does not ride.

I really have no regrets with that... pushing him was not a goal. Him having fun and trying different things in life was. He was traveling to the races with me and his younger bro until he was 10.. the bug just never bit him.

Younger bro did what big bro did, but did start riding dirt bikes at 14 or 15.. he does not ride either.. they play hoops together. Since they are both 6'-6" tall I think they chose well. Both are still racing fans though and have camped at Laguna MotoGP many times.. and dig the sport (not like me of course, but still cool we can chat about it.)

Same as budman here. My son started riding at about age 7, and my daughter at around age 5. My daughter loved it at first, but really lost interest a few years later. My son still enjoys it, but infrequently.

Strider followed by Oset. No training wheels

Oset? /googling
holy crap those are awesome! I'm no where near ready to have kids, but I like the 'give them the choice' option, and if they don't pick it up, don't push them. I have a nagging feeling that if/when I have kids they'll be on bikes before they can walk :teeth

My son can just about stand on his own and the first thing he's getting is a strider. My buddies 3 year old is already bombing around on his Oset. 17 months you're already late :laughing :2cents

oooohhhh snap. just found oset bikes. totally getting the wee man the 12.5 when he's tall enough and had an interest.

Posted from Bayarearidersforum.com App for Android

Boy was almost 5 and the girl was 3 1/2 when they started sharing a pw50. She was still using training wheels on her bicycle, so she used them on the pw50 also. She would spin that thing in doughnuts on the dirt. Smooth transition soon after that for her when she had the balance. Cheap fun.

My first grandson is now about 3 months old so I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I think the kid will have to have mastered a bicycle before I get anything with a gas motor for him. I'm gonna want to see jumps and skids and other bicycle shenanigans first. Those Oset bike look pretty cool as a transitional bike into a full on 50cc dirt bike. I'm not really going based on age, the kid will have to show some aptitude. I started on little dirt bikes and worked my way up the ranks and I intend to do the same for little Tanner.

The best thing about this is that I don't have to get mom or dads permission, I'm grandpa, I get to do whatever I want with the little shit. heh.

Last edited:
I can't advise you about age. Friends of mine, with kids that ride, use the bike as a carrot tied to the kid's academic performance. Works wonders.
This. We use it as a carrot for *many* things, truth be told. Son started at 7, daughter at 10, they are now 11 and 14 , and still love it (yes, I consider myself lucky that they still do). I totally agree with the "mastery of bicycle first" approach. My daughter has just inherited my KLX250s, and has told me that she wants to take the MSF class and get her M1. I'm hopeful that riding a moto will make her a better driver as well.

To the OP: It's *never* too young ;)

Both the grand kids got 50's with training wheels on their 2nd birthday. Training wheels off at 3 and we just got the older boy a 110 for his 6th birthday.

I started at 7 on an RM 80. My nephews started at 6 on electric bikes, which are perfect for little kids. Just select how much power you want to have and let 'em ride. I see lots of little ones in the 3-6 year old range on those things. No clutch makes it sooooooooooooooo much easier. :thumbup

Back