• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Can Subaru Baja carry a Moto?

Yes the BAJA can carry your bike and you can do it straight in, There is no reason to even think of cocking the bike to an angle.

Your tail gate will stay down, and it wouldn't hurt to have a ramp in the center of the bed, to give added beef to the tail gate load. (and of course another ramp for loading) and a positive link between those two ramps where the would join.

Not that it's relative, but, on the Brat version, you unbolt the freakin rear facing seats, and bolt up a little framework to make support for the front wheel, and tie down strap attachment points.

The vehicle is major cool, with all wheel drive and independent suspension on all four corners and low center of gravity flat engine.

Go for it :thumbup

Yes the BAJA can carry your bike and you can do it straight in, There is no reason to even think of cocking the bike to an angle.

Your tail gate will stay down, and it wouldn't hurt to have a ramp in the center of the bed, to give added beef to the tail gate load. (and of course another ramp for loading) and a positive link between those two ramps where the would join.

Not that it's relative, but, on the Brat version, you unbolt the freakin rear facing seats, and bolt up a little framework to make support for the front wheel, and tie down strap attachment points.

The vehicle is major cool, with all wheel drive and independent suspension on all four corners and low center of gravity flat engine.

Go for it :thumbup

I know this is an old thread but do you have experience transporting motorcycle on a baja? I am considering buying a used one and any first person experiences will be helpful :)

I know this is an old thread but do you have experience transporting motorcycle on a baja? I am considering buying a used one and any first person experiences will be helpful :)

The choice of utility vans has expanded recently... the first-gen Transit Connect wasn't great, but the new one is supposedly better, and there's also the Nissan 200 thing and the Chevy clone of same. IMO, more utility than a Baja. It's great to leave a trackday and just throw your gear and supplies in the back of a van. Vans also have a lower loading height. :2cents

I just saw a for sale ads for Subaru Baja in classified section. I think it’s a pretty neat car/truck. I’m curious to know if it can carry a moto. I haven’t seen the car up close yet. I would imagine the main problems are weight distribution and bed length. From what I’ve read on the net, the payload is 1050 lbs. But the bed length is really short. It’s about 41” long with tailgate up. 59” with tailgate down. Modern sport bikes are around 80” long. I wonder if the moto rear wheel can make it on the tailgate. Any thought or experience?

Cargo bed measurements (measured by Joe Spitz)
Bed length: 41"
Tailgate down adds: 19"
Rear seat folded flat adds: 30"
Longest length with tailgate down and rear seat pass-through open: 90"
Bed Width: 49"
Bed Wall Height: 19"
Cargo wall Pass-Through opening: height 13", width 30.5"
Offical measurements:
Cargo bed: weight capacity 1050#, 17.7CF
Tailgate holds 661#
Cargo bed is recycled rubber compound

I carried my open class dirt bike, in mine, rear seats removed, and some tie-down brackets added..

Sweet dirt bike transport, and... AWD is sweet, when the destination is Desert sand, or Dirt roads in the mountains.

If I was going to haul a road bike (lets rule out Goldwings, though).
I'd opt for a larger truck.

Last edited:
I carried my open class dirt bike, in mine (tailgate down)..

Sweet dirt bike transport, and... AWD is sweet, when the destination is Desert sand, or Dirt roads in the mountains.

If I was going to haul a road bike (lets rule out Goldwings, though).
I'd opt for a larger truck.

the goldwing hauls the baja
towbike_d.jpg

Why not get one of those hitch mounted m/c carriers? You can get one for under $200.
You might have to upgrade (helper spring or bags) the rear springs but that is pretty easy.

I assume the Baja is a unibody construction like the impreza it is based on. They can't have that much tongue weight. It will bend/crinkle the frame.

the goldwing hauls the baja
towbike_d.jpg

Saw a report on that... Came from Japan, and... worked better than any other set-up, to get to crashed/disabled cars in the grid-lock situations.
Snag them, and get out

Those wing riders must be awesome... Might have invented Gymkahna...
Or be hired out of the Gymkahna winners circle.

I'd be modifying the wall between the rear passenger seat...And the truck bed.

The front wheel would be inside that cab... And the rear wheel would be 2 feet forward of what that picture shows.

I'm a sicko that was obsessed with customizing cars, and working in welding/fabrication shops, and being a machist... Do anything in metal.

The choice of utility vans has expanded recently... the first-gen Transit Connect wasn't great, but the new one is supposedly better, and there's also the Nissan 200 thing and the Chevy clone of same. IMO, more utility than a Baja. It's great to leave a trackday and just throw your gear and supplies in the back of a van. Vans also have a lower loading height. :2cents

Vans are not practical for my daily driver. Baja can be my car as well as weekend toy.

So experienced :thumbup :)

Thank you sir :thumbup

I'd be modifying the wall between the rear passenger seat...And the truck bed.

The front wheel would be inside that cab... And the rear wheel would be 2 feet forward of what that picture shows.

I'm a sicko that was obsessed with customizing cars, and working in welding/fabrication shops, and being a machist... Do anything in metal.

If you have done this, do you have pictures?

If it doesn't have two rear-facing jumpseats, it's not a Subaru with open bed. :laughing

287699547_9e266cb41f.jpg

Jesus, Take the seats out of the bed, Replace them with a steel supporting framework that a motorcycle can be held with.

I did, with my BRAT

if you want an el camino or a ranchero, then get one! (or a subaru is ok, just a little on the small side) :)

Jesus, Take the seats out of the bed, Replace them with a steel supporting framework that a motorcycle can be held with.

I did, with my BRAT

Nice brat Lou! Mines not as pretty, but it does have the ej22 swap with 5sp d/r, 4"/3" lift, 15" pugs, etc and will go over Donner Pass at 75 mph with a motorcycle in the back no problem. Post some pics of your steel moto frame if you can. Thanks. :thumbup

edit- realizing now thru the pre-coffee haze that the one pictured may not be yours.

Here's mine.
IMG_0613.jpg

Last edited:
Back