• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Fall colors in sierras - Hurry!!

Provincial_sweater09

Active member
Joined
Apr 8, 2026
Moto(s)
SV650
Well, some - the watch reports have hints of fall starting already. I didn’t want to miss out on colors at the highest elevations. Then there is also the impending “once-in-century” El Niño. So both these reasons were a perfect excuse to plan a ride this very weekend. I Did not have luxury of staying the night which meant a day ride.

A 6:30 AM start from the Livermore - bright and early!


IMG_2519 Large.jpeg
After highway slab through Central Valley (and sun in the eyes all the way through) it was a quick stop to top off our bellies and the bikes in Angles Camp.
After mid week highs, it was pleasant weekend to be outside - so not surprisingly saw tons of riders and relatively light but steady car traffic that thinned out after Arnold and Lake Alpine
Lake alpine.jpg


The single lane Ebbetts pass with its broken pavement (hidden well under dappled morning sunlight) was interesting- with tons of blind corners, occasional giant pickup floating across the imaginary center line and frequent hairpin bends, I could never get into a rhythm of any sorts. Although the fresh alpine air and beautiful views made up for it :)

Next up was the Monitor Pass - second time in as many months - feels like it is maintained solely for the pleasure of motorcyclists - no real car traffic to speak of, a butter smooth pavement, nicely engineered curves and awe inspiring vistas. Here is where we did see leaves turning! Took an obligatory photo break while patting ourselves on the back for riding out today!

monitor -fall colors.jpg

monitor -valley.jpg

monitor - canyon.jpg
16 miles of fun (like last time,) was over far too soon and we were in Walker.

Debating between the burger and barbecue, took a gamble with Mountain View BBQ since the smoker outside hinted at good stuff inside. Instead though, the fatty brisket and okay-ish ribs and meh sides were underwhelming. That the meat was smothered with BBQ sauce didn’t help either. Only the corn bread got honorable mention but I strongly suspect was store bought and not made in house.
Walker BBQ.jpg

Anyway we washed it down with some cold beer and were off to Sonora!

And boy oh boy, it did not disappoint! Those imposing granite walls quickly closed in and gave way to pristine pavement bound by the alpine forest. With a perfect mix of technical and sweeping turns it is pure motorcycling heaven. Few RVs that we encountered were kind enough to move over which i liked.

I was in love with Monitor pass before but now, Sonora is right next to it (or an inch above)

sonora 2.jpg

sonora turn.jpg

After coming down from the mountains, an obligatory slog (with the sun again in my eyes all the way) through the Central Valley in the weekend traffic and was back home at 6:30 pm.

All in all the ride was little over 12 hours and 430 miles - a long day for sure but the pure bliss in the Sierras made it worth it.

Speaking of which, I am thinking either 2-day trip as a loop in Quincy-La Porte-Oroville-49 (stay the night in Quincy), or for a 2.5 day trip stringing together Redbluff->CA-36-> Avenue of Giants (CA-258) -> 101 -> Bay Area.

Do veterans here have any suggestions?
 

Attachments

  • monitor -fall colors.jpg
    monitor -fall colors.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
One of the best times of the year to get up to the Sierra. Don't cut Hwy 4 (Ebbetts Pass) short, going east to west there is a spot just after the uphill hairpins that you can get some nice air on. Those who know, know.

The wife and I spend about a week leaf peeking off of Hwy 395 each year in our van. I scored two nights camping in Yosemite Valley Oct 4th and 5th. We will spend the following week going up the canyons off of Hwy 395. Life is good.


Edit: Monitor is the most fun. East to west, tight twisties, followed my wide sweepers. Then the climb and views of Carson Valley to the top. Ending with the down hills to Hwy 4. Love that road.
 
Dang, I really need to get the passes in before snow hits. Looks like an awesome day. I have a rear tire that *might* make it another 1000 on the Ducati, hmmm.

As for those overnight plans, both are awesome, but if you're after 36 do the lost coast as well as stay in Fortuna for the night catching 36 the following day. You can run Avenue of the Giants on the way to the lost coast and if you have extra time on the way home you can find plenty of fun ways back towards the bay area from Redding once you hit the end of 36.
 
I can advise: the aspens are changing at yuba pass
And 49 is my favorite road, for a number of reasons

This is awesome! I heard the maples also are spectacular in Quincy area - any word on timing of that?

As for those overnight plans, both are awesome, but if you're after 36 do the lost coast as well as stay in Fortuna for the night catching 36 the following day. You can run Avenue of the Giants on the way to the lost coast and if you have extra time on the way home you can find plenty of fun ways back towards the bay area from Redding once you hit the end of 36.

yes! I am thinking of including the lost coast before 101 highway section back home. thanks for the suggestion.
 
Last edited:
This is awesome! I heard the maples also are spectacular in Quincy area - any word on timing of that?



yes! I am thinking of including the lost coast before 101 highway section back home. thanks for the suggestion.


I don't get to Quincy as often, and when I do I'm passing through quickly and not really lingering and looking around.
Last time was a couple of weeks ago.
 
Back
Top