• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flying first class, when is it worth it?

FXCLM5

bombaclaud
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Location
santa rosa
Moto(s)
890r, Grom, šŸ¤‘for your track bike
Miles/points redemption, is this something you guys constantly consider and try to constantly use to upgrade to first class?

Are first class seats really worth 8x+ a base economy fare?

I think if they were 3x more It make way more sense
 
When it's free. Work paid for business class.omce,.it was awesome, but I could have done multiple trips on that money had it been mine. I don't have the $$$ to justify anything but economy, but it sure is nice up there.
 
SAN to OAK a couple weeks ago. First on, first off. Small plane. Drinks were served. It was about $70 more than the rows behind the first five.

Overseas. $6K to Heathrow. Not me. The missus. Her friend, a well heeled gent, spent that on her behalf. Next trip he will again. I will be somewhere else on that flight, suffering. I’ve heard good things.

If you’re shelling out for costs at the destination, 1st/biz class adds a lot. If you have low/no-cost accommodations, that’s money well spent. Every time.
 
still trapped in same fart box and hear the same person snoring like crazy too, thats why i cant fathom the 8x+ price points, for 3x yea, since you jump from economy to business to 1st class, 3x the fare seems correct
 
A very nice women gave her 1st class seat to our kid on a flight from Kauai to Maui so she could sit with her husband at the back of the plane. The smile on our kids face when we got off was out of this world. We could never afford such a seat but glad our 13 year old got to experience being pampered with food, a full cup of lemonade for the whole 1 hour flight and space. šŸ˜‚
 
I've done it multiple times on long haul flights. I bitch nd complain about the price nd how stupid it is. But when I'm sitting in my self enclosed pod, wearing my "free" slippers" and sipping my fine french wine, I stop bitching.
 
For those of us with ā€œregularā€ incomes it is not worth it.
It may be justifiable if you’re traveling alone but certainly not for families.
 
For me its only worth it if your truly, physically uncomfortable in the other seats.

A guy I worked for back in the day was a Vietnam Vet. Machine gun chewed up his leg. He always flew first class.

Folks with back issues and such, its basically 1st class or don't fly, the chairs hurt that much (and linger).

I mean, its Nice. Little more room, little less busy.

But it's an airplane ride -- they all are kind of awful in their own way.
 
I did Economy + once from here to SE Asia right before Covid hit and everyone stopped flying, so it was only $500 more per person. Not exactly first class but even the step up from the poors was a huge difference. No jet lag either way since we were able to properly sleep. Plus the level of service and food was so much better.
 
I did Economy + once from here to SE Asia right before Covid hit and everyone stopped flying, so it was only $500 more per person. Not exactly first class but even the step up from the poors was a huge difference. No jet lag either way since we were able to properly sleep. Plus the level of service and food was so much better.
I'm planning SFO to TPE again, I recall in the 90s economy fare was already pretty high like $1k usd, fast forward 30+ years, economy has gotten cheaper but also seems they reduced first class seating volume and jacked up the pricing for first class, I recall first class having a 2nd story inside a 747 and it was a lot more then just 20 lie down seats now

Just what I remember from being 10 and now 40+, alot more airline perks now with first class I presume vs 30+ years ago, free lounges/showers/restaurants etc
 
After we retired and had the disposable income we vowed never to fly coach again.

When we had less disposable income it was never a consideration.
 
I did Economy + once from here to SE Asia right before Covid hit and everyone stopped flying, so it was only $500 more per person. Not exactly first class but even the step up from the poors was a huge difference. No jet lag either way since we were able to properly sleep. Plus the level of service and food was so much better.
I did Newark to Milan in economy plus. It’s a much better experience. A little more room. More recline. Better food. I’ve never been in the lay flat pods but I’d love not having to see people and might even be able to sleep.
 
I did Newark to Milan in economy plus. It’s a much better experience. A little more room. More recline. Better food. I’ve never been in the lay flat pods but I’d love not having to see people and might even be able to sleep.
Dude, it's heavenly. One time I flew on the Emirates fancy schmancy plane. They had a frigging bar where you could stand up and have a bartender make you a drink, then hang out at little cocktail tables. It was nice. But even better was Turkish Airlines first class. Holy God, that was amazing.
 
Dude, it's heavenly. One time I flew on the Emirates fancy schmancy plane. They had a frigging bar where you could stand up and have a bartender make you a drink, then hang out at little cocktail tables. It was nice. But even better was Turkish Airlines first class. Holy God, that was amazing.
Turkish airlines economy seats are horrible (for flights within Europe) but they also feed you a full meal on short flights which blew my mind.

Look at you flying like a fancy pants all over. :)
 
Even internationally where there is actual first class Business Class is more than adequate.
 
Look at you flying like a fancy pants all over. :)

1789925906072.png
 
Alaska will at times have "cheap" upgrades to 1st class from STS-SEA and SFO-SEA routes. I've done it on both 737's and E175's on very late flights when there's not a lot of people on the plane.
 
The problem with asking when it's worth it is that on the flights where it IS worth it, they jack up the price accordingly.

A very nice women gave her 1st class seat to our kid on a flight from Kauai to Maui so she could sit with her husband at the back of the plane. The smile on our kids face when we got off was out of this world. We could never afford such a seat but glad our 13 year old got to experience being pampered with food, a full cup of lemonade for the whole 1 hour flight and space. šŸ˜‚
Odd. I'm assuming her husband decided to join her at the last minute?
 
Back
Top