Marc Marquez to Lenovo Factory Ducati in 2025

DonJigweed

Urban Achiever
Moto(s)
will kill you
Beast mode

Between the Barcelona and Mugello races, Ducati informed Jorge Martin that he was the chosen one to be Francesco Bagnaia's team-mate in 2025 in the official Ducati team.

On the eve of the Italian Grand Prix, a senior factory executive welcomed the rider and they shook hands, thanking the championship leader for his patience.

Ducati was convinced that it could convince Marc Marquez to ride for Pramac with identical material and support as the official riders.

But everything took a radical turn on Thursday when La Gazzetta dello Sport reported the news and Marquez closed the door to Ducati's wishes: “Pramac is not an option for me,” he said with an extremely serious look on his face.

This reaction was not expected by Ducati bosses who had been in contact with the rider during the weekend to look for alternatives.

Marquez told them that either he would go to the official team or to another factory.

Ducati panicked when it saw it risked losing the rider with the highest profile of the paddock by giving in to his demands: in 2025 he will be Bagnaia's team-mate.

MotoGP just posted this on Twitter. Aprilia is supposed to make an announcement soon.

GPKTH2CWMAAhcrR

got to give marc credit on this one...he forced ducati's hand and they folded. and in the process he neutralized his most difficult opponent on track. can't believe no one in martin's camp was able to soothe his ego enough to keep him at pramac on a ducati. aprilia just isn't consistent enough to compete for the title weekend after weekend. oh well, martin will at least have a legit excuse on those weekends when he's getting his ass kicked...

Wowww. I was hoping he'd score the factory Duke, with KTM as a backup/consolation prize and Aprilia third. Seems like this decision was taken out of spite, as a middle finger to Ducati for overlooking him again. I get it, but to do it in this way with this timing is a real burning of the bridges, a la Dovizioso.

Let's face it, MotoGP is already basically the Ducati Cup, with the other manufacturers putting in occasional podium appearances. Special shout out to MM93, who I can't stand, for making me despise him even more with his primadona posturing ensuring this chess move. He gets the factory bike and eliminates one of his prime rivals in one fell swoop. Classy.

I admire Martin and his talent. I back Aprilia because they're underdogs and #anyonebutducati #anyonebutmarquez. It could be just the kick in the arse that Aprilia needed. Here's hoping for good racing in 2025.

Jorge is the perfect fit for that Aprilia cockpit. Really excited to see what Viñales and Martin do in ‘25!

Mercy!!! Jorge has doubled his work load... develop the Aprilia and beat his opponents consistently to win the championship...

Last edited:
Martin overestimated his worth. Ducati isn't going to pay the massive salary he was expecting. For 2024, Martin and Enea are paid the exact same salary (Davide T). Aprilia offered Martin a lot more money and a factory seat and he took it. Good for him. He is young and needs to make his money when he is red hot.

Marc doesn't need the money so he is happy to take a lower salary for a latest spec bike and win more championships. Ducati knows they have a better chance to retain the #1 plate with Pecco & Marc in their team and possibly sell more motorcycles with Marc's superstar stature.

At this point this marginally at best informed fan thinks Martin has more potential upside than MM93 - of COURSE he’s the dominant name in the paddock etc. but I think he’s seen the top of his career and has a LOT of injury history that will not get easier as time passes.

Martin may have overstepped but I see him still racing for years and Marc maybe having 2-3 more years left in the tank, if that.

I may be proven WAY wrong but I would love to see Martin take a championship and show Ducati what they missed.

I personally I'm glad JM signed with Aprilia.
Now he can get out from under the Ducati shadow. He will show everyone how good the Aprilia is. Like Acosta is showing how good the KTM is.

Next year is going to be even more exciting with the top talent being spread over more manufacturers.

Mark

I think MM will get a lot of 3rds and 4ths like he does now and probably will crash and hurt himself trying so hard to win again now that he’s on the factory bike.
Ducati messed up and went with the old guy, Jorge and Pecco will push hard to beat him and I hope they do.

:dunno

I think he is giving the new Marc 99% (which used to be 110%) and I "think" in his now matureness knows somewhat that next year is an epic part of his race journey and he wants to get to that. Really hope he stays healthy and I get to see him going head to head with Pecco dressed in red.

Jorge may very well take the Ape to the next level. He might take Mav with him. All fun stuff..!

All said and done, MM93 will bring in more revenue for Ducati than JM89 within the next two seasons. Unlike Ferrari, Ducati races to sell bikes and make profits so there is no harm in having MM93 because PB63 is still around to win the championship if MM93 falters.

Highly doubt JM89 will push Aprilia to the championship next year. It's just not about the rider. They need a great crew chief and support staff and the team has to be able to decipher JM89's comments and tweak the bike. Wonder if JM89 will take the entire Pramac crew with him? Then, he may have a good shot at doing well with Aprilia in 2025

Last edited:
Back