• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Motorcycle rider killed in hit an run. (not a RIP thread)

budman

General Menace
Staff member
Administrator
Moto(s)
Keep me rocking life
Name
Budman
BARF perks
AMA Life Member #203453
Motorcycler rider killed in hit an run.

Looks to me like he F'd up and did not see the car. The car does appear to be moving very fast. The driver took off. :thumbdown

[YOUTUBE]aC5l-jiCxQU[/YOUTUBE]

The rider misjudged the speed of the approaching car, and the car appeared to be going too fast. Way too fast.

To be honest, this is a weakness of mine. I'm, apparently, not very good at estimating closing velocities. So, I just tend to the side of caution. I don't know if it's a depth perception thing or what, but many a driver has been trapped behind me as some car crawls by that I felt was probably going faster than it was.

:rose rider

@ Enchanter - Yeah. Agree 100%.

I am seeing … A quick look / blinded by the car pulling in and a car going way to fast.

I think he thought he was good and did not double check before pulling out. A mistake that cost him his life. :rose

I had a very close call one morning on a road trip. I probably should have had more coffee. I was turning left at a 4 way intersection of two rural highways. For some reason focused on a truck across from me who was signaling left. I think I'd looked left initially. Figured the truck hesitated to let me go first I made my move and just barely missed getting t-boned. There was a slight rise on the hill so cars could be fairly close but obscured and I should have checked again. I usually do, but failed to in that moment, I got very lucky and was kicking myself for that idiot move for the next few hours.

That said, I'm not sure I'd put the fault entirely on the rider here, that car was going WAY to fast for an area that I would assume has a 35mph tops. If one was doing a cursory glance at night those headlights were probably so far away that there seemed to be no risk and speed would have been hard to judge without a long hard look. If the driver had been driving the speed limit we'd at worst have an injury, not a fatality.

Last edited:
N4te.

Get where you are coming from. In this case it is 100% the rider that could have changed the outcome.

The speeder/ runner shit wad certainly played into it, but ya know....

My understanding is a speeding vehicle loses its right-of-way if excessively speeding. Makes sense, as everyone else has to rely on others to follow the law- that's why we have them.

Certainly some sort of better written case law for sure, but I believe that remains the case. You'd still be dead, but they'd be liable to your family.

@ Enchanter - Yeah. Agree 100%.

I am seeing … A quick look / blinded by the car pulling in and a car going way to fast.

I think he thought he was good and did not double check before pulling out. A mistake that cost him his life. :rose

It was twilight, harder to judge speed with headlights involved, and the rider probably "assumed" those headlights were approaching at normal traffic speed in such an area with many driveways.

RIP rider.

Brutal to watch. There but for the grace of God go I. Prayers for the family and friends of the rider. Hope they catch the a-hole cager.

Last edited:
I've only briefly touched on this elsewhere on BARF but it may apply in the reverse here.

Granted speeder was the greatest factor. However...

Headlights on cars no longer are conventional shapes and/or placement. Making a judgment is less easy when your reference points have changed.

That said, the main theme of the original post is,

Right-of-way does not exist for motorcyclists in the same manner as four-wheeled vehicles. Right but dead is bad form.

It was twilight, harder to judge speed with headlights involved, and the rider probably "assumed" those headlights were approaching at normal traffic speed in such an area with many driveways.

RIP rider.

Solid point. Nighttime comes with a loss of depth and speed of other vehicles.

Vehicle looks to be a 2D E36 BMW, to me.

Update:

Driver fled on foot from the scene. Berto is right on the car being a BMW. It is smooshed.

A passenger stayed in the car and provided information per the article. Certainly ups the anti on catching the person.

Solid point. Nighttime comes with a loss of depth and speed of other vehicles.

Vehicle looks to be a 2D E36 BMW, to me.

Can't find what the speed limit is in that area but can't be more than 35; BMW was going at least double that it seems.

bb0d6acacae9be841c2800d2147b9f80

Can't find what the speed limit is in that area but can't be more than 35; BMW was going at least double that it seems.

bb0d6acacae9be841c2800d2147b9f80

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111-112733_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111-112733_Maps.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 7
I searched for an update and found this.

The driver in the BMW fled the scene on foot, leaving a passenger inside the car. Police said they have the hit-and-run vehicle in custody.

Good on call counts. Similar to the lady in the Mercedes doing triple digits through the red light and impacting several vehicles.

Hardly "low" the rider should have been a bit more on the gas with oncoming traffic with that kind of speed limit at twilight IMHO.

But then again, the guy in the BMW was close to double that I suspect.

Condolences to family and friends of the victim.

I hope they catch the homicidal maniac who thought that kind of speed in that kind of busy area wouldn't result in harm.

Back