• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Motorcycle rider killed in hit an run. (not a RIP thread)

In the video I see the MC rider pulling out into the lane of oncoming traffic while the White Truck
is still in both lanes of that oncoming traffic. Obstructing His view of the BMW and it's speed.
Had he waited just 2-3 seconds longer he would still be alive today.
Just 2-3 seconds .

Last edited:
In the video I see the MC rider pulling out into the lane of oncoming traffic while the White Truck
is still in both lanes of that oncoming traffic. Obstructing His view of the BMW and it's speed.
Had he waited just 2-3 seconds longer he would still be alive today.
Just 2-3 seconds .

I was going to comment the same thing.

Moto rider was trying to beat his left sided cross traffic when exiting the parking lot. He was hyper-focused on the truck doing it's thing so that he could go and slowly put himself into the lane of traffic with no exit strategy. Likely he couldn't tell exactly how quickly the BMW was going to bisect his intended line of travel and the last few moments were focused to the right on the truck, but the moto rider also didn't do him/herself any favors by leisurely riding out and waiting for his open.

I'm not placing the blame on the rider, but just a second look could've saved him.

Reading through the comments made me go look at the video once more.

Hard to tell but I believe the rider looked over his RIGHT shoulder, then pulled out. To be impacted from his left.

I would like to be wrong.

Last edited:
My street lets out onto a tight but busy road, 1 lane each way and just a 2 way stop, plus lots of trees and big vehicles as vision obstructions.

As a left turn strategy, I focus on going in the wrong lane which is closest to me until I can merge into the correct side. My assumption is that if the wrong lane (which this street is typically more open) is clear, I can accelerate and get a better idea of that is coming from behind me. Also vehicles behind me are less likely to collide with me.

Unfortunately for this rider, he was focused on getting over to the far lane for his left, and his vision was blocked and he was distracted when he was trying to balance his large motorcycle. And when he began rolling, he focused on looking forward instead of the speeding vehicle he didn't notice.

If he was planning on entering the wrong lane, he would have seen this car, and possibly emergency braked or even swerved around the car.

My street lets out onto a tight but busy road, 1 lane each way and just a 2 way stop, plus lots of trees and big vehicles as vision obstructions.

As a left turn strategy, I focus on going in the wrong lane which is closest to me until I can merge into the correct side. My assumption is that if the wrong lane (which this street is typically more open) is clear, I can accelerate and get a better idea of that is coming from behind me. Also vehicles behind me are less likely to collide with me.

I employed this exact tactic at an intersection that was on my daily commute. Vehicles traveling north, as I would be, exceeding the speed limit, would come around a blind left bend and be surprised to find themselves door-to-door with a car in the 'wrong' lane. Had I legally turned left from my stop, would have had my back smacked.

After a few of those, I traveled up a few blocks and traversed another route.

Tragic. The white E36 should be pretty easy to locate, cops should canvas the local cars and coffee events and ask members of BMW car clubs.

They got him per Grissom’s link above.

Ah, good news there. So sad someone lost their lives to careless hands.

I'm glad they caught the suspect but the fact that the rider clearly entered the path of the speeding vehicle and the trend towards criminal rights over victims rights, I'm dubious on this resulting in a satisfying outcome (from our perspective). If anything pushes this over the edge it will be from leaving the scene and trying to leave the country, not from his negligent role in killing a human by speeding.

@ Enchanter - Yeah. Agree 100%.

I am seeing … A quick look / blinded by the car pulling in and a car going way to fast.

I think he thought he was good and did not double check before pulling out. A mistake that cost him his life. :rose

Agreed on both points. Our brains aren't good at processing multiple things at once by default. What we think as multitasking is actually the brain switching through multiple tasks in sequence, but fast (juggling). Problem: as we get tired, it slows down, some drop off.

Unless the brain is trained, things are assumed to 'not move' from last seen. Hence sometimes we get caught off guard, "how did it get there?"

Ride safer out there, all. 🙏

It is... I remember Keith Code discussing scanning your eyes.
It was basically snap shots as Al pointed out. Scan too fast and you can miss one. I tried to simulate just hanging in my back yard. Seemed to be true so I adjusted my scanning speed when I ride down a tick.

Is that safer?? :dunno

Possibly inexperienced rider?? Was dragging his leg throught he whole turn. Sucks seeing this :(

Back