• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Moving out of area, selling, rambling personal story

You can still be on Barf from Tennessee. I good luck with your move.

Yup. Glad BARF help guide your ride.

Best wishes in the future and hope you decide a moto is still something you look forward to enjoying.

We moved from the Bay Area to a suburb of Nashville, Tennessee in 2012. I retained all of my bikes and since have acquired a couple more. We still have our home there but work causes me to travel extensively.

There really is some decent riding in the Knoxville area so do not worry about that. IMO the bay has some of the best roads in the country but you can find decent roads there to be sure.

It is a different culture there when it comes to the government so be prepared. There is a tag office and a separate drivers license bureau. When I went to register my red tagged YZ450 at the tag office, the question to me was "so you want to make it legal on the street" :wow, my reply "no I just want to have a title for it out of CA" was responded with "why would you give the government money for that". Well I keep my dirt bikes registered in CA. Then the drivers license bureau has a couple of windows for DL related business and 2 windows for concealed carry related business.

That was just a couple of instances where I was shocked after being born and raised in CA my whole life.

Change can be scary but it is also invigorating!

Oh, an you can still BARF!

If you have any questions please PM me. I would love to share any information I have. :thumbup

I'll transport (ride) your the F700GS to Knoxville. (Really!) Or maybe just buy it?
Then again, the Tail of the Dragon and Smokey Mts. are worthy of still owning a bike.
I know a music professor in Tennesse. Our daughter played the same sport in college. If you need a local with knowledge, just ask.
You're not the first BARFer to land in Tennesse. (Yeah, was thinking of you Jason!)
G'luck.
Edited to :facepalm over posting on a zombie thread. ;)

I'm still waiting for one of you BA'ers to come hit the Dragon...it's on most rider's bucket lists. :ride

I have. Twice. Rode the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, Hwy 129/TOTD, and a lot of other roads in TN, NC, VA, and WV.

OP, I hope you keep at least one of your bikes. The riding and scenery in Eastern Tennessee is spectacular. People are very friendly and riding is a great way to meet people when you move to a new area. Good luck on your job search and your move.

We need an update from the OP.

Riding the Dragon would be cool. I need one of those cool Dragon pics. :teeth

Actually, I forget the numbers but I counted curves and mileage on Rossi's (aka 229) and compared them to the Dragon specs and Rossi's was not quite the curves-per-miles of Dragon. But way less traffic so...This was while I lived in Santa Margarita. And ain't no way I'm leaving the Central Coast for anywhere.

The road to Hana on Maui, I was FORBIDDEN to ride the rental Fat Boy, out to the seven sacred pools. They said, too many crash truck calls to retrieve their bikes.
This road is fully two lane, slow and curvy, and yet, a no no. Rental cars were forbidden to circle the Island. After Hana, it turns to dirt, on the dry side, cattle country. I did this, and hosed the mud off, before I returned it.
Rossi's good stuff is a lane and 1/2 wide @ 6 miles long, 12, total from Creston to 58.
I would run this 6 miles, back & forth, three or four laps, with the mini.

Last edited:
The road to Hana on Maui, I was FORBIDDEN to ride the rental Fat Boy, out to the seven sacred pools. They said, too many crash truck calls to retrieve their bikes.
This road is fully two lane, slow and curvy, and yet, a no no. Rental cars were forbidden to circle the Island. After Hana, it turns to dirt, on the dry side, cattle country. I did this, and hosed the mud off, before I returned it.
Rossi's good stuff is a lane and 1/2 wide @ 6 miles long, 12, total from Creston to 58.
I would run this 6 miles, back & forth, three or four laps, with the mini.
Only song lyrics in my head when zipping 229 countless times was "The Gambler" chorus...

Actually, I forget the numbers but I counted curves and mileage on Rossi's (aka 229) and compared them to the Dragon specs and Rossi's was not quite the curves-per-miles of Dragon. But way less traffic so...This was while I lived in Santa Margarita. And ain't no way I'm leaving the Central Coast for anywhere.
The "traffic all the time" thing is a myth that is perpetuated by the locals to keep people away...even though without tourism, Monroe County in Tennessee and Graham County in North Carolina would be on their asses. They need the tourism money. The only time it's "busy" is on weekends and holidays. The rest of the time is fine to pass through with ease.

Back