• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Need help putting Acerbis Rally pro handguards on DRZ400sm

yama-emma

bubble bubble bubble
Moto(s)
KTM 990 SD
Name
Em
Hi all!

So I got these hand guards. :teeth
http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/1325.html

They came sans hardware, so after remedying that first problem and going back to cyclegear to buy the hardware separately I tried to put them on. and failed. :(

I know that I may be missing something critical - like, my bars are the wrong size for this mounting gear :confused I dunno, so I am hoping someone can help. My DRZ is 2006 and totally stock with bar end sliders.

So here are the distructions I am working from (came with handguards)
2223729721_5044e69525.jpg

Here is the handlebar after I took off the bar end sliders:
2224519996_bf419f152b.jpg

Here is the left side with steps 1&2 taken care of as per distructions:
2224520176_d1091960d3.jpg

Then I tried to complete 3, 4 & 5. But the parts are too small... and there is no grip, even using the optional rubber expander: :confused
2223730229_ea4bbca455.jpg

2224520468_1351540d20.jpg

2224520626_b46619ae68.jpg

If those parts slide all the way in then nothing lines up:
2223730577_0a785db715.jpg

I considered trying the use the bits from the bar end slider to make it work:
2223730643_b558696f6c.jpg

but the screw from the handguard is too fat: :rolleyes
2224521236_a6e6b9cbc0.jpg

also, I have NO idea where to fit the parts onto the right handlebar - there is a lot of stuff in the way: :|
2224521058_3c1b8a4057.jpg

This is all the stuff I got for the handguard and hardware:
2224520902_65fe28835d.jpg

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!
THANKS BARF!

part #4 is incorrect for your bars. you'll need the larger one. the one you've got is made for aluminum bars with a much smaller inner diameter.

I have those guards on my 2006. I do have an oversize bar (Pro-Taper) so I needed the oversize screws. Stock you should get the smaller screws and it should work ( it should say on the hardware package ). It took me some time to get everything mounted up correctly because I have a different brake setup and it was getting in the way. You should be able to slide the mounts up on the bars to make them fit. Mine didn't fit straight, but they are on secure, just angled a little. Once I had everything loosely in place I cranked down on the screws (they should expand to fit the bars) and synched everything else down from there. One thing to be careful of is that the levers (especially the brake lever) DO NOT RUB (at any adjustment). For me this meant rotating everything up just a little and flexing the guard a little. I can take pictures of my setup tomorrow if you want. Or you are more than welcome to bring it up to Santa Rosa this weekend and I'd be willing to give you a hand (I have the stock hardware too if you got the wrong one).

I just noticed that your hardware doesn't have a swivel on the inner mounts. That made mine a helluva lot easier, but it should be possible to route the cables out of the way (possibly UNDER the mount?)

You might try adding another layer of rubber or two as a temporary fix to get the guards up and running- cut up an old bicycle tube, or some big rubber patches might take up enough slack for the expanders to wedge tight. A trip to Orchard Supply would surely get you some options to work with- bring your Acerbis hardware, and measure the I.D. of your bars, so you know what you're looking for.

Don't let the bar end sliders complicate things, mount up the guards first, and worry about the sliders later.

It looks like you'll have to apply some muscle and/or leverage to get things started- get all your parts in approximate position, and the outer (expander) bolts snugged down a little, and then let the inner bolts finish flexing up the guards for you. Hope this rambling helps, good luck.

Wow!
You really have a clean well lit place to work....
Must be nice.
Put some Pro-Tapers on that ride!
I've never regretted mine, and I mounted the same guards as you with no problem.
:thumbup

I have the same guards on my S and after purchasing the hardware kit for the 7/8" bar, they worked fine. You sure those aren't aftermarket bars? Part #4 should expand as you tighten it and grip the inside of the bar. I did not have the swivels either, maybe you have Part #1's reversed too?

Still doesn't explain why they won't grip your handlebars?
If you need me to take pics I can....

Thanks for all the info so far...

I'm pretty sure the bars aren't aftermarket, but I could be wrong.
Since I bought everything from cyclegear and can exchange it, I would prefer to just figure out what exactly I need rather than jerry rig the system! Last time I was there however the guy had a really tough time trying to help me, so when I go back I would love to be able to tell them exactly what I need. Can anyone help by telling me what I need to buy - I am hoping there is something that will work for my bike without me having to make do.

Here are my handle bars:
2227941350_6767bcb85d.jpg

Imperial:
2227941106_1016da8394.jpg

Metric:
2227149837_496f382560.jpg

Here are the part numbers of what I have:

Hand guards:
2227149583_9a14ef3696.jpg

Mounting kit:
2227941052_3866db56b6.jpg

you know where to go and what to do... now zip it and give these other nice people a chance to help a girl out. :kicknuts

Cool! Thanks Chi! :teeth
...so...
I'm really sorry to be so uninformed on this :( :doh (shuttit from the peanut gallery chris...)
but I searched the internet and not coming up with any place to buy them online. can I just go into cyclegear or missionmotorcycles and ask for "7/8 inch bar inserts"?!?!?

Cool! Thanks Chi! :teeth
...so...
I'm really sorry to be so uninformed on this :( :doh (shuttit from the peanut gallery chris...)
but I searched the internet and not coming up with any place to buy them online. can I just go into cyclegear or missionmotorcycles and ask for "7/8 inch bar inserts"?!?!?

did they not come with the 7/8" kit that you bought...I thought you bought the 7/8" kit? weird. that sucks that it is taking so long.

and chris...remember, watch out for the elbow to the neck, i can't be everywhere to help you out when you pick fights. :laughing :twofinger

looks like the 7/8's clamps but not inserts.

did they not come with the 7/8" kit that you bought...I thought you bought the 7/8" kit? weird. that sucks that it is taking so long.

and chris...remember, watch out for the elbow to the neck, i can't be everywhere to help you out when you pick fights. :laughing :twofinger

Emma,

I put Cycra Pro-Bends on my DRZ-SM, so I don't have any experience with the Acerbis.

But looking at ThumperTalk Store's Acerbis Rally Pro page, it looks like you have the right parts (as the Acerbis part number for the 7/8" stock mounting kit is the same). But I'm not there and I can't see and gauge the parts for myself. And Chi might be right about the inserts not being 7/8".

What you might try is getting the clutch side handlebar mount on first, attach that part of the hand guard that goes there and screw in the bolt slightly (but don't tighten), and then fit in the bar-end insert. Once you have the parts on, then tighten all the bolts.

For the throttle side, looks like you'll need to move the master cylinder brake reservoir/mirror mount a little up on the handlebar. Loosen slightly the two small bolts on the aluminum mirror mount and then scoot the assembly away from the throttle side. That should free up some space to install the throttle side mount.

And you know, you probably could return the Acerbis guards and exchange them for the Cyrcra Pro-Bends.

^^ thanks guys. :thumbup

so, I guess my conclusion is that I don't have the 7/8 inserts. As you can see even WITH the rubber expander they are all loosey goosey.
2224520626_b46619ae68.jpg

This is totally lame. and I shake my fists angrily at it. :shakesfistangrily

I guess I will try to call cyclegear tomorrow and see if they can sell me just some 7/8 inserts. If they act like I am on crack, then I will take the whole freaking lot in and exchange for something Cycra. I hate when motorcycle gear makes me feel like a helpless girl :cry :cry :cry

Back