• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Need help putting Acerbis Rally pro handguards on DRZ400sm

the mounts come in 7/8 and 1 1/8 the 1 1/8 fits oversized bars ie. renthal fat bars and protaper oversized bars. the ends of the bars should always remain at 7/8" so im not sure why its not fitting correctly you can try the 1 1/8 mounts but even then the clamps will be to big for the bar then. from my knowledge there are 2 different types of mounts one for aluminum bars and some for steel bars but im not sure if one is bigger than the other if you want i can find out tomarrow

:shakesfistangrily

I could hear you saying it and see you shaking your fist as I read this. :laughing

from my knowledge there are 2 different types of mounts one for aluminum bars and some for steel bars but im not sure if one is bigger than the other

Bassus is right.

the difference is that for the same outside diameter (=7/8th in your case) aluminum bars have a smaller inside diameter.

you have steel bars on your stock bike, and it looks like you have the right kit for it.

unfortunately i think the "right" solution is to crank down on the screw and spread the aluminum part until it grips and tightens.
the rubber sleeve will provide additional grip.

the best (what i would do/have done) is to replace the handlebar with a aluminum one.

reg. the routing of your lines.... yeah - you'll have to get creative and move stuff a bit.

keep 2 things in mind that helped me.
1) the "lower" acerbis clamp mounts can be turned "upside down" to change the location slightly.
2) "adjusting" the acerbis guards with a vice and pipe-wrench IS an acceptable work-around. :rolleyes

(I had to re-bend the acerbis to clear the clutch/brake on my XR650.)

Emma, I went outside and checked my bars. You have the correct insert. Just wrap a lil black electrical tape over the rubber sleeve until it fits snug. Install everything loosely until you get everything to line up, then tighten.
_________

Thanks guys! I think I will get it sorted this evening. Now that I am assured I have the right parts, and roadstergal has the same handguards on her bike so she will walk me through it this evening! I will document the process and update ya'll how how it went!

THANKS so much for all the help! :love

I looked at all the mounts I have at work and it seems like all you have to do is tighten the sucker down and you will be all good hope all works out

Roadstergal RAWKS!
Not only did she help me get the handguards on, she also beat me to posting pics! :)

Everyone who encouraged me to just go with what I have and tighten the stuffing out of it was right! I owe you all beer. Turns out my dad's old adage: "there isn't a problem that can't be solved by using brute force and ignorance" holds true...

The other problem was lining everything up. We ended up having to cut the ends off the guards to make them fit:
2231123142_dbfb9f3de3.jpg

2231123182_93739c1c91.jpg

AND VOILA! :banana
2230329381_4b6b0313bf.jpg

Thanks all! :thumbup

Glad to help! It's just a matter of pre-tightening a bit so that it doesn't spin inside of the bar.

I think you can make the thing work if the forks aren't slid up, but it's no big to cut off the ends - the handguards will still stay in place in a crash. (God, I love excuses to post this pic!)

800.jpg

Back