• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

New helmet time

N4teTheGreat

FknN8
Moto(s)
2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2008 KTM 950 SM
Name
Nathan
So my Arai XD-4 bounced and slid on some pavement as a nice way to kick off my trip a few weeks back, no injuries of note, but the shell took a nice grinding so it's time for a new lid. From what I have heard there is less space between the chin guard and ones chin on the new XD-5 and since my chin was already pretty close on the XD-4 that rules that one out. I could just get another XD-4 as they are closing those out for a few hundred off now, but I wouldn't mind something else. Looking for ADV options, Bell and Klim look interesting but reviews say they feel cheap and don't seem to hold up. Another interesting helmet is the Nexx X.WED3 Zero Pro, made in Portugul, meets the latest ECE standards, seems to have a pretty well thought out design according to the reviews.

Anything else I should be considering? Needs to have a peak, needs to be competent for road and off-road, doesn't need to be quiet as that is what ear plugs are for.

A quick and easy way to check correct fit of a prospective helmet
is to begin with a large size and work your way down to a snug
fit... and that is after you get it on your head and without buckling
the chin strap, snap your head side to side in quick movements...
if the helmet stays snug and follows your head then the size is
probably correct... if it moves about then it is too large... try next
smaller size... what you'll end up with is knowing what is too large
and what is a snug fit without going too tight... in other words the
correct skid lid for your cranial...

I'm actually looking for something new too. Anybody know what manufacturers actually have a medium shell? Most use a Large shell with thicker padding.

The Scorpion AT960 I just bought, has three actual shell sizes. Though its pretty close to my chin in size XL, so may not be an option for Nate. Pretty impressed with it considering its a more budget orientated poly shell type $300ish helmet. Finish seems really nice, even compared to my Arais and Shoeis on the shelf.

So my Arai XD-4 bounced and slid on some pavement as a nice way to kick off my trip a few weeks back, no injuries of note, but the shell took a nice grinding so it's time for a new lid. From what I have heard there is less space between the chin guard and ones chin on the new XD-5 and since my chin was already pretty close on the XD-4 that rules that one out. I could just get another XD-4 as they are closing those out for a few hundred off now, but I wouldn't mind something else. Looking for ADV options, Bell and Klim look interesting but reviews say they feel cheap and don't seem to hold up. Another interesting helmet is the Nexx X.WED3 Zero Pro, made in Portugul, meets the latest ECE standards, seems to have a pretty well thought out design according to the reviews.

Anything else I should be considering? Needs to have a peak, needs to be competent for road and off-road, doesn't need to be quiet as that is what ear plugs are for.
Hopefully your head wasn’t in the sliding helmet.

I LOVE my new HJC RPHA 91. It’s not quite an ADV helmet, but it is a modular and it’s the quietest helmet I’ve ever owned and very comfortable. Lots of reviews on YouTube…

Speed addicts is a good place to research and buy helmets. I have purchased many from them. They have video review on pretty much every mode of helmet they sell which makes comparison manageable.

Let me know and I'll see if I can beat the price.

If the XD-4 fits you really well, you won't like the fit of the Klim Krios Pro. Ask me how I know. Nexx has their carbon X.WRL on closeout at the moment.

MotorcycleGear is currently having a nice sale on the 6D lids.

I have an AT960 I use for commuting and an XT9000 for road trips. I like them both, but....

The XT9000 is super light and extremely comfortable for long days. It's pretty good value for being a carbon fiber shell but is pricey. It's not my only lid because there is no internal sun shield, and swapping the shields from clear to smoked and back uses a tool-less system that requires you to just grab the shield and muscle-fuck it right off the helmet. If you don't have the little alignment arrows lined up just so when you gorilla fist the thing it breaks the connection tabs off the visor. Ask me how I know :|

The AT960 is a great helmet, good value, not a million dollars. It's a flip face with the drop down visor. If I didn't already know how comfortable and light the XT9000 is I would have it as my only lid. Bit it's (comparitively) heavy and loud. I wear a large in all my other helmets (Shoeis I've had in the past and my XT9000) but I wear a 2XL in the AT960. I would recommend it but advise trying it on to get the right size.

I hadn't really considered Scorpion, I'll have to check that one out, reviews sound like it might be a little snug for my oval-ish head, my chin was always pretty close to the chin vent of my Arai which I assume wouldn't be good in a crash.

That NEX X.WRL seems pretty good for the price, notable complaints seem to be that the pads fastners break and seem cheap (same complaint on the X.WED2 which has been addressed with the X.WED3). Also sounds like it runs a bit small, so it'd be ideal to try one on, but I imagine that's not gonna happen. Might have to wander over to Cycle Gear and see what they have in stock to try out.

Its definitely worth trying on. There are five folks in my group who have the Scorpion with favorable impressions (and all own more expensive helmets too.) I have more an ovalish head myself, and always seem to struggle with the chin clearance. Though when I look at myself, I don't think of myself as having a big chin or classic "Roman" type facial structure, so maybe it's just a perceived issue and not real. :laughing

Some Arais and Shoeis just never worked, some did, and even others I just learned to live with chin clearance. I can't recall what shape AGV's are supposed to be, but both AGV modulars I've purchased seemed to have the most generous chin clearance. If not on the list, worth stopping by the store on Van Ness to try on.

But bottom line, impressed with the Scorpion. At the price point, it was easy to try at only $300 and really seems a significant step up in quality from anything else at that level. Plus its designed to accept communicators. I have the Senna 50R on mine.

Added bonus, it's the largest eyeport of just about any helmet I own, so easy to wear glasses or goggles.

Last edited:
Good to know, I had an AGV for a while, not a bad helmet, but it seemed to me the construction and quality of the liner was kinda cheap, with it compressing a lot over the course of year and some of the glued bits holding keep the shell and foam joined starting to come loose. I'll definitely give the scorpion a try.

Okay guys, I'm an ex road sales rep' for Sierra M/C Prod's, Helmet House, WPS, Tucker Rocky, Ducati No. America and have been riding dirt and street for 56 years. Former MX, C.C / H.S. expert ... Have rep'd Nolan, Marushin, KBC, HJC, Shoei and Arai. Have been to many helmet seminars throughout these three decades. My very first bit of advise; DO NOT SCRIMP on head protection. Bones and skin can grow back, brains rarely do... My second: ARAI, and only Arai! Bruce Porter, Arai's former Nat'l Sales Mgr., gave we Tucker Rocky rep's the best, most sensible, comprehensive helmet seminar a couple of decades ago and most all of what he told us is still true about this brand. I have been knocked out in Shoei's twice, once in a pavement impact that I think I would have been knocked unconscious in ANY helmet, but the second time in a top of the line Shoei RF, in a pretty soft dirt DG impact, I was knocked out again. This made me question the too stiff liner in most SNELL approved helmets. Most helmets at that juncture (2007) were being built to withstand the heavy impact with much less emphasis on the lesser, milder impact and the styrafoam impact liners and most brands at that time were too stiff for the softer blow. Arai, insists on making the softest Styrofoam liners that can also withstand the heaviest blow and pass SNELL, along with a fiberglass that is - per their promotional material - 30% stronger than normal fiberglass. Stiffest shell, softest liner; best... Their logic is the first impact is almost always a glancing blow, not a direct hit, so they want the rider to stay conscious through that initial impact so that he / she doesn't turn into a "rag-doll" for the balance of the crash and can perhaps control a slide toward a fixed object or vehicle. Also, they only build round helmets, with the only aerodynamic parts, such as intakes or exhaust vents as sacrificial break away components. Helmets with flares and ridges built into the shell they insist can exacerbate an impact / injury as these "features" can catch something in a slide, etc. As well, their front face sections are always as close as possible to the face so that in the event of a frontal impact, your head has the least time to speed up before crushing the face guard's Styrofoam liner. Yes, they're quite a bit more spendy than others and the other brands now have paid more attention to the initial glancing blow than in the past with new M.I.P.S. tech'y built in. But for my money, and my head, it's always Arai. Btw, Arai is also the most popular among racers whom don't have a helmet sponsor. That alone says a LOT. All of my Off Road and Road helmets are Arai's...

Last edited:
Interesting, I didn't know Arai, was working around SNELL like that, I've never liked that cert for just that reason, too much focus on maximum energy impacts versus the more real world glancing blows and multiple hits during a tumble. I think that is was got me interested in ECE rated helmets as they seem to have gone a different route and focused more specifically on what motorcycle crashed look like (SNELL being started with a focus on race cars). I hadn't thought the chin guard being close to my face was a safety feature, but I suppose minimizing the impact speed makes sense, I just remember a buddy having to get his teeth / face put back together after face planting in a full face MTB helmet where the chin guard impact to his mouth resulted in chipped teeth and teeth going through lips. I suppose in certain crashes that's just gonna happen though.

Okay guys, I'm an ex road sales rep' for Sierra M/C Prod's, Hemet House, WPS, Tucker Rocky, Ducati No. America and have been riding dirt and street for 56 years. Former MX, C.C / H.S. expert ... Have rep'd Nolan, Marushin, KBC, HJC, Shoei and Arai. Have been to many helmet seminars throughout these three decades. My very first bit of advise; DO NOT SCRIMP on head protection. Bones and skin can grow back, brains rarely do... My second: ARAI, and only Arai! Bruce Porter, Arai's former Nat'l Sales Mgr., gave we Tucker Rocky rep's the best, most sensible, comprehensive helmet seminar a couple of decades ago and most all of what he told us is still true about this brand. I have been knocked out in Shoei's twice, once in a pavement impact that I think I would have been knocked unconscious in ANY helmet, but the second time in a top of the line Shoei RF, in a pretty soft dirt DG impact, I was knocked out again. This made me question the too stiff liner in most SNELL approved helmets. Most helmets at that juncture (2007) were being built to withstand the heavy impact with much less emphasis on the lesser, milder impact and the styrafoam impact liners and most brands at that time were too stiff for the softer blow. Arai, insists on making the softest Styrofoam liners that can also withstand the heaviest blow and pass SNELL, along with a fiberglass that is - per their promotional material - 30% stronger than normal fiberglass. Stiffest shell, softest liner; best... Their logic is the first impact is almost always a glancing blow, not a direct hit, so they want the rider to stay conscious through that initial impact so that he / she doesn't turn into a "rag-doll" for the balance of the crash and can perhaps control a slide toward a fixed object or vehicle. Also, they only build round helmets, with the only aerodynamic parts, such as intakes or exhaust vents as sacrificial break away components. Helmets with flares and ridges built into the shell they insist can exacerbate an impact / injury as these "features" can catch something in a slide, etc. As well, their front face sections are always as close as possible to the face so that in the event of a frontal impact, your head has the least time to speed up before crushing the face guard's Styrofoam liner. Yes, they're quite a bit more spendy than others and the other brands now have paid more attention to the initial glancing blow than in the past with new M.I.P.S. tech'y built in. But for my money, and my head, it's always Arai. Btw, Arai is also the most popular among racers whom don't have a helmet sponsor. That alone says a LOT. All of my Off Road and Road helmets are Arai's...

a9c.png

Back