• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

New helmet time

What Chris...?? To many words?? :laughing

Really solid info in that wall man.

Bruce Porter. Saw him working the Arai booth at the San Mateo moto show many years back. He was so helpful in suggesting helmet shape & size for folks. He was amazing in his ability to assess these things correctly the 1st time.

Regarding the snell rating - one of the moto magazines ran a story suggesting similar to what Duffy said about the Aria approach to eps density. It was interesting.

I have heard folks say the flip up helmets aren’t as sound in a frontal impact as a non flip up. Any truth to this?

Eric, I could easily believe that the modular helmets aren't as sound as non modular (don't know the facts of it.) Be interested in reading or hearing about it. Wouldn't keep me from wearing one though. :thumbup

Welp, analysis paralysis and the urge to get back on the bike soon along with some good deals means I'm probably gonna replace my XD-4 with.... another XD-4 as they can be had for under 600 now with the XD-5 out.

Shoei shaped head so always get Shoeis, don't really have a choice as nothing else fits quite as well.

Moto-D has a 45% off many of the Bell Race Star Flex DLX. I got one on sale a few months ago and I like it a lot. Only gripe is the visor only has 3 positions - just barely cracked open, fully open or closed. It a great lid at this price.

I gave Motocard a shot, reviews on the internets are all pretty positive, won't have a DOT sticker, but I'm not worried about that and I'll have a nice color way for less than any other site was asking for a basic white lid.

I have the Scorpion AT 960 that's been mentioned here a few times, I hate it. After 40k + miles on the AT950 I bought a 960 as a replacement. It's a totally different helmet. It's heavier but also carries it's weight differently (maybe because the 960 has a lock the 950 doesn't have). I notice the weight of the 960 where I never did with the 950. It's got a lot shorter chin bar than the 950 and ear flaps inside I had to cut out with an exacto knife as they put pressure on my ear plugs. The internal sun visor also doesn't operate as well as the 950 does. After one trip with the 960 I listed it on FB marketplace.

This is my 3rd Scorpion helmet and I really like the brand and the way they fit me but I'm not happy with the 960. IMO it's a downgrade from the 950.

Got my new Arai, old helmet liners were definitely due to be replaced as this sucker (which of course needs to be broken in) is very snug despite being the same size as my old one. Guess I'll have to go for a long ride soon to break it in.

Shoei shaped head so always get Shoeis, don't really have a choice as nothing else fits quite as well.
Same issue. I think my first Shoei reshaped my head so I can only wear Shoeis now. Beware the Shoei-head.

I gave Motocard a shot, reviews on the internets are all pretty positive, won't have a DOT sticker, but I'm not worried about that and I'll have a nice color way for less than any other site was asking for a basic white lid.
Just out of curiosity, why aren’t you worried about the DOT sticker? I’ve been trying to make heads or tails of the safety standards. I’m not sure I believe 100% in the head-form testing models and safety ratings. Even with a new, properly fitted, standards-rated helmet, I still managed to knock myself silly (meaning concussion with memory loss) following a 20mph high-side. I’m curious about any data that might exist that correlates head-injury severity to rating.

Mostly, I don't care about the legal issue around using a helmet in the US without it (this is a Euro version of the Arai XD-4 so no DOT sticker) mainly, but also, DOT certs are so loose that it comes down to how much you trust the helmet manufacturer. In the case of Arai, I have that trust, and I think the euro tests for the ECE certs are pretty good. That said, any helmet is only going to do so much, go down to fast or too hard and it's gonna hurt, but, hopefully don't result in permanent injury or worse.

Mostly, I don't care about the legal issue around using a helmet in the US without it (this is a Euro version of the Arai XD-4 so no DOT sticker) mainly, but also, DOT certs are so loose that it comes down to how much you trust the helmet manufacturer. In the case of Arai, I have that trust, and I think the euro tests for the ECE certs are pretty good. That said, any helmet is only going to do so much, go down to fast or too hard and it's gonna hurt, but, hopefully don't result in permanent injury or worse.
That is very helpful. Thanks!

Arai helmet, good choice.

Out of many Get offs; there was one time I needed the helmet.
I Lost control while making a pass in the dust … > I heard the helmet make contact with the ground< then I felt my head make hard contact with the inside of the helmet, at the same moments pass/elbow/land impact crushing my ribs.
Finish the race, no brain injury(if I could tell), clic-ribs hurt with no improvement 30+ days. …31st day ribs hold/big improvement!

Have a good day!

Last edited:
Loose like a goose

Back