• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Obsessed with fishing

I picked up a Tenkara rod, the Hane, https://tenkarausa.com/collections/tenkara-rods, so I could flyfish while moto-camping. I've gotten the gear wet once so far. :teeth

I grew up fishing in upstate NY and have both fresh & saltwater reel rods and a reel flyfishing rod, but they don't pack down to 15".

I've also got my SCUBA cert (PADI) and wouldn't mind getting re-certed and going out. :party

Last edited:
anybody fishing?

I usually am pretty lazy and fish just in my pond but my aerator took a dump so my pond is looking pretty trashy. I just ordered a new aeration system and am hoping it gets here soon so I can get my pond back to normal and my fish have a better environment to thrive.

Some of the girls' friends came over this weekend and they caught about 10 bass.

I caught this pretty big Kupipi - also known as a spot sargent (member of the damselfish family) - in the waters of Oahu. using grocery store shrimp on a #8 baitholder hook.

Attachments

• A857455B-3FE6-43B9-BA81-ABBDB021CFCE.jpg
    A857455B-3FE6-43B9-BA81-ABBDB021CFCE.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 47
I finally did it. I finally caught a pelagic fish on my boat. Dorado are FUN!!!

[YouTube]vBUQ4LqmLyc[/youtube]

I got in on a private charter on the New Reyanne out of Sausalito last Sunday. All 12 of us limited by 1:30

Attachments

• salmon.jpg
    salmon.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 51
  • filet.jpg
    filet.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 46
I hit the beach this morning and had a good day. Aside from throwing my reel in the sand and getting it all bound up (which made me go back to the truck for the emergency reel I have stashed - this Olympic reels is from the 80s when i used to trout fish with my dad), it was a good day.

Attachments

• 0ACAB7B8-3E24-4571-9C10-272E71CC7EA4.jpg
    0ACAB7B8-3E24-4571-9C10-272E71CC7EA4.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 47
I finally did it. I finally caught a pelagic fish on my boat. Dorado are FUN!!!

[YouTube]vBUQ4LqmLyc[/youtube]

Dude! Nice work out there. We have taken the 17' Whaler out offshore many times and have never seen a paddie. One time we were chumming for makos at 9 mile and a whole school of yellowtail shot past the boat and by the time I grabbed the rod, gone! It's challenging out there.

How was the fish cooked up? I can't recall eating dorado.

Dude! Nice work out there. We have taken the 17' Whaler out offshore many times and have never seen a paddie. One time we were chumming for makos at 9 mile and a whole school of yellowtail shot past the boat and by the time I grabbed the rod, gone! It's challenging out there.

How was the fish cooked up? I can't recall eating dorado.

Thanks!

Following temp breaks in the water has always led me to a paddie or 3. A temp break can easily be seen on calm days because it causes the water to have a different texture on both sides. You follow that texture difference until you find something. But on windy or lumpy days it's near impossible to see.

The dorado was alright. It's a tiny bit fishy. It's better than barracuda or small bonito, but not as good as rockfish or bass. So its not my favorite and not something I'd eat raw or lightly seasoned. We ate most of it blackened for tacos or in curries.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Following temp breaks in the water has always led me to a paddie or 3. A temp break can easily be seen on calm days because it causes the water to have a different texture on both sides. You follow that texture difference until you find something. But on windy or lumpy days it's near impossible to see.

The dorado was alright. It's a tiny bit fishy. It's better than barracuda or small bonito, but not as good as rockfish or bass. So its not my favorite and not something I'd eat raw or lightly seasoned. We ate most of it blackened for tacos or in curries.

Now I recall hearing captain Dave explain how to read conditions. He’s just too swamped with childcare and a remodel to get the boat in order. My brother flew down here and took the Shogun out Mexico and limited on BIG bluefin day three. Dropped a bunch of chunks off with me. Good eating, I sous vide then just mark it on a grill 30 seconds per side. 116F for 20-30 minutes in the bath.

I’ve taken mackerel bait fish from the well home and made saba, fried up a few bonies, and a fair number of bass. But never caught a tuna or yellowtail. I find the bait casting reels to be awkward. Just taking big spinners next time. Getting perfect pressure on the spool while steadying yourself is tricky.

Would love to combine riding and fly fishing...oh and mountain biking...somehow.

I too am a fishing addict. My favorite form of fishing is when I go backpacking and fish the lakes wherever I am camped at.

I have several float tubes and I used to fish the reservoirs in the Bay Area, but I have not done that for a while.

My latest fishing has involved me using my Mtn Bike. My Wife bought me a Bob Trailer (copy) https://www.amazon.com/MAYA-CYCLE-B...ocphy=9031928&hvtargid=pla-570985882996&psc=1
It attaches to my bike and I travel to the areas next to the Dumbarton Bridge and fish for Sharks and Bat Rays (catch and release only). I'm hoping to get onto a Striper, since they are running now.

With the trailer, I use a 12ft. telescopic Surf Rod. https://www.amazon.com/Sougayilang-...la-571719803235&ref=&adgrpid=62138615036&th=1

I used to think that these were junk, but I fished next to a friend who has several and used his to haul in Big Leopard Sharks and BaT Rays. So, I became a convert.

Last edited:
Another one of my bucket-list fish has been caught!! I went on a 1.75day charter boat this week. We left 11am Wed and got back 6am Fri. The boat had 25 fishermen onboard and we caught 33 fish total. And I got 3!! They are 38, 45, and 67lbs. Not big by any means, but still an amazing fight. I have some video of it for the YT channel.

JaYPld4.jpg

I also had 2 other bites. One broke off right away. The other broke off after 20min into the battle. Tuna fishing is so much harder than all the other styles of fishing I have done. And it's different enough that I made a few mistakes that cost me those lost fish. I'm a little sad about the breaks, but its still cool to accomplish this.

Here are the two lures that caught my fish. They are both a little unconventional compared to what most people are using. The white one is an old-ish style that no one uses on the west coast. It caught my biggest. The other lure is primary for yellowtail and I've never heard it being used for tuna. But it worked great for me - I hooked 3 fish with it while standing next to people that had none. The attached leader is 200# mono and was absolutely required to keep the fish on.

fe8DJp6.jpg

MK5Bv9Y.jpg

Oh, the largest caught on the charter was 185lbs.

Edit for follow-up... here are the processed steaks and collars. These coolers are literally full of tuna. Im in shock a little bit.

KhDTlON.jpg

Last edited:
Back