Riding Coast to Coast - Which Bike Would You Choose? Which Route?

J-Boat

Inspire,Encourage,Achieve
Moto(s)
Big Yam S10
Name
Boat
No, I didn't do a "search", and yes, I realize this may be a topic more suited for the "Sport Touring" or "Adventure" forums. But I haven't started a new thread in a while, so I figured I'd start here...:x

Let's talk about doing the long haul...

My dream vacation has always been to ride from California to the Georgia coast. I have lots of family out there that I need to visit. I've been putting it off for so long and I feel like now (this spring) is the time. I've decided that I want to get a nice used motorcycle that is suited for the long haul there and back. I had an FJ-09 that I bought with this idea in mind, but I could not stand the excessive wind buffeting, and I tried several windscreen variations. I even bought a brand new Aerostich Roadcrafter which I never even used so I sold it here ('Sup Lonster...) I currently have an MT09 which I love, but it's definitely not suited for the task...

So, my question for the BARF illuminati...If you were going to ride coast to coast and had a $10-15K budget, which bike would you choose and why? I've never really liked BMW's, but I keep circling back to the 1200 GS...

Which route would you take? Have you done this before and what was your overall experience?

:thumbup:ride:afm199:twofinger:cool

Last edited:
To be honest, depends on how much time I had. Given the need to only cover 300 miles a day I'd still take a silly bike like my hyper because it's more fun when you find the right roads. If not that, a Goldwing or a BKM K1600 assuming either or those can be found within budget.

There's also a romantic notion of riding cross country on a Harley and I assume a properly setup one of those would be comfy enough.

I would buy Chill's Connie 14 in the barf "bike 4 sale" thread.
I would buy it, but I already have one.
perfect moto for this use case.

The thing I love about my Goldwing GL1800 is that I could load up the luggage and ride it East and know that I'd have no trouble doing 12-14 hour days with no lingering discomfort and that it's flat 6 would hardly even notice the miles or heat. Everything I needed would be out of sight, contained within the locked luggage.

The only other bike I'd do this with is a BMW with similar luggage capacity.

Also, I've often seen people selling a Goldwing with a matching trailer, for those who like to travel with more than a shopping cart amount of luggage.

Last edited:
I'd take the MT-09. Since you have the time, stay off the freeways where a big bike with a big fairing makes sense.

Now, for full disclosure, I rode my S1000R to the farthest point of Newfoundland and back, and that had no more of a fairing than your MT does.

Anything with a comfortable seat, cruise control, satellite radio, wind protection. But on long road trips I like to pull over and take a nap along the way, that doesn’t work for motorcycles. I wouldn’t even consider a bike for such a trip.

C14, GS, R1200RS, FJR1300 are all good touring machines with enough umph to enjoy the twisties and give you protection from the elements.

C14, GS, R1200RS, FJR1300 are all good touring machines with enough umph to enjoy the twisties and give you protection from the elements.

PLUS, ST1100 or ST1300 both will run forever.

I rode a DR650 from San Jose to North Carolina. Took me 20 days but I stopped at a lot of places along the way went from California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. Not a good freeway bike for sure but I had a windscreen and heated grips. Then I rode back on the TAT.

I'd take the MT-09. Since you have the time, stay off the freeways where a big bike with a big fairing makes sense.

Now, for full disclosure, I rode my S1000R to the farthest point of Newfoundland and back, and that had no more of a fairing than your MT does.

Got to be an interesting story there. Have a link to a road report?

I never wrote a ride report. I really should one of these days, I guess.

Here's Cape Spear, the easternmost point of North America:
52655424120_2680a81ca7_k.jpg

Here's the start of the famous Cabot Trail:
52655403575_d5f6fc9aa0_k.jpg

And here's my bike:
52654954480_22dda2d8b4_k.jpg

And after 1000km of the Trans-Labrador Highway, which is dirt:
51004595558_5569bd082b_z.jpg

If you want to do it quickly, an FJR1300 would be a top choice. Also one of the newer Multistradas.

If not in a big hurry, a Goldwing would have to be at the top of the list. If you want something with a bit more character, maybe an Electra Glide.

I can't think of a single KTM model that I would want to ride coast to coast, as much as I love them for the riding that I most enjoy. :laughing

Help Chill out and head to White mountains of Az, Texas hill country, some Arkansas then to Georgia.

RT...hands down, without question. Done it before, would do it again without thinking twice. Maybe a GS, but if you don't have a long inseam so that might create some issues.

Also, when you're in my hood (you should be given where you're looking to ride), give me a shout. :Port

Last edited:
I've not ridden GoldWings... Among the bikes I've ridden, a BMW K1600 would be my first choice - awesome for long distance ride. I rode one down Hwy 1 to Moro Bay in pouring rain, including Santa Rosa Creek Rd, so it passed the twisty road and weather test, and coming home on 101 was great too with the big electric windscreen and cruise control.

Next up would be a R12x0GS, but but an aftermarket big touring windscreen (Puig) is a must - for both weather protection, and quietness on the freeway.

Back