Riding Coast to Coast - Which Bike Would You Choose? Which Route?

My triumph has cruise control which wasn’t a feature I was looking for but now that it’s there I’m digging it.

BMW's K line is a great highway bike. There's a 2018 K1600GTL w/ 30K on it at San Diego NPA (dealer auction. Nice green, great condition. I can assist on the sale or put you in tough with another Barfer freind who can. Book is around $14.5K or so.

Attachments

• 2018K1600GTL.jpg
    2018K1600GTL.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Honda ST1300. I've gone to upstate New York and back 4 times over the years to our summer house on a BMW 1100RT then the 2004 ST1300 bought new. No changes to the ST over the years other then a Russell Daylong seat. 65,000 miles, runs like the day I bought it, can be found everywhere for 3-4,000$ used, dead reliable.

My winter project has been a 2007 BMW R1200GS with GSA bits. It does not have nearly the wind/weather protection or comfortable air pocket the ST1100 has for all day riding in my opinion. I'd be leaning towards some of the bikes already mentioned, like the FJR, new Connie, and even the ST1300 or a RT if I were doing the trip.

Especially if my time was limited and I knew I'd have to make a couple days of big miles at speed.

I did a trip to Minneapolis, all back road two lane with the exception of just about 100 miles some years back on a Street Triple. No time constraints, just exploring interesting roads and little towns. Lots of fun, great adventure. But it didn't matter if I made 100, 600, or more miles on any particular day, because I had zero constraints on my time.

A bucket list trip is the still the far eastern end of the St Lawrence seaway from home in California. Spending some time in Trois-Rivières and Quebec city, learning a little French and seeking out some family tree members. :ride

If I were doing that trip today, I'd probably pick a Honda ST1300 for the budget choice, an RT if a bit more money was available...... or budget be damned an Indian Roadmaster. I ride HDs with cousins every summer on my July trip back to the Midwest and have always wanted to do a big trip on one. Just another type of adventure, way to travel, my bucket list is long.

In the interim, hoping to try a few BDR routes when the GS project is sorted this year. Hope to see an adventure recap in the subforum from your Georgia trip. Sounds fantastic. :thumbup

My vote is for the Goldwing, although I would prefer the GL1500 over the 1800 - the 1500 has more luggage space. It seems each new model came with less and less luggage space. A 1500 would fit in your budget, but then a decent 1800 would also fit, up to about the 2015 model year or so. If you want to carry more stuff than will fit in the hard luggage there are countless trailers available, you can even find tent trailers that work well behind a Goldwing.

I used to wonder why anyone would want to ride one of those things - until I bought my old one with a sidecar. My first ride on it was from Cottage Grove, Or to San Jose and I could have kept going - it was so comfortable to ride that after 700 miles non-stop (except for fuel for it and me) I was not at all fatigued.

That BMW Holeshot posted would be a great choice.

Lost of others as listed too.

V-Strom 1050....(my next bike)
I can't shake my often unjustifiable Suzuki addiction.

HMMMM....Lot's of great replies and lots to consider. I've never seen the Grand Canyon, so that's on the must see list. Also, I have friends in Amarillo that I would like to visit. My ultimate goal is to ride to Savannah where my dad lives and then go north to Charleston to see my sister. I have so much vacation time on the books that time is a non issue. I'm thinking maybe late April-mid May...

:thumbup

TAT on a Husky 701LR

I've owned a Husky 610sm in the past, and it was a cool bike. But I now prefer a few more cylinders. And the Trans America Trail would definitely be an epic journey, but I must admit it's a bit too hardcore for my skill level. Maybe someday when I retire...:afm199

TAT trail.jpg

I see a lot of great options in this thread.

You really can't go wrong with most of them. :thumbup

For me it came down to BMW vs Honda Goldwing. I went with the Honda because the maintenance was less onerous.

With the Goldwing, the luggage has definitely gotten smaller with each generation, the old timers prefer the GL1600 for it's ride and luggage space. The GL1800 is a heavy beast at 900 lbs, especially when those cylinders get tilted, but at feet up it feels like a sportbike until the pegs start scraping. :laughing

I did LA to Savannah by car, years ago. All back roads. From recollection we went CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, NM, TX, LS, AL, GA. It was fantastic. Got as far as Moab, UT in a '63 Fury before we had to abandon it for a rental.

For a bike, I might have a crack on something like a Suzuki GSXS1000 GT. They look comfy enough for the long straight bits and would be a blast in the twisties. I don't like newer GS's at all. At 5' 9, riding them feels like being a flea on an elephant's arse.

A midweight adventure bike might also be a laugh for including some of the magnificent dirt in the SW.

guess ima fan of using a bike already in the garage … :ride

went west-to-east on a second-hand, running condition, ‘87 EX500 parts-bike I’d paid $400 for—did 1000 mi/24 hours the first day from San Francisco over Sonora Pass to Tonopah and Hwy 6/I-70 to Parachute, CO.

made my way the second day across CO to Alliance NE because I wanted to see the Sand Hills, and the third day was Hwy 2 and then 1500mi/36 hours to Manhattan to see “The Art of the Motorcycle” show at the Guggenheim. got a couple Iron Butt Certificates (IBA#4200) and didn’t get rained on once over the four days. :party

picture.php

16” bias ply tires and 30k on the odo. the green sticker that came with the bike on the purple fairing says “Fatto a mano in Italia” … :facepalm:laughing

went coast-to-coast east-to-west on an ‘85 Harley-Davidson Superglide via Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace and then stayed off interstates via TX, Monument Valley/Four Corners/Grand Canyon/Death Valley/Sonora Pass and on to San Francisco:

picture.php

I have vague plans in the works to do a west-to-east CtC on some reverse/backwards/defunct TAT sections through NV to CO, to an ADVrider.com rally in KS, and then on to Richmond/Newport News, VA, via dirt and backroads ona 20 year old KLR—since I have a few of those lying around and can leave it in Richmond and fly home, and maybe ride it back to SF someday. :clown

I have an ‘88 BMW K75s—which might seem like the most appropriate of my bikes in my garage, on paper—but it really isn’t even on deck for a coast-to-coast ride, because the windshield directs the wind blast right into my helmet, ouch. :x

I’d just ride the MT09 if I already had one, but lots of other maybe more suitable bikes, too, as has been mentioned. can’t really go wrong, imo, because it’s a pretty awesome ride and what’s suitable is subjective, I suppose. looking forward to hearing about the bike and the the route you decide on. :thumbup:gsxrgrl

Last edited:
For me it came down to BMW vs Honda Goldwing. I went with the Honda because the maintenance was less onerous.

What's so onerous about valve checks and oil changes on the RT? It's still one of the simplest machines to do maintenance on, even after BMW updated the valve train. Not only that, my 2011 RT had about 35,000 miles on it when I sold it and the valves still hadn't need to be adjusted. Hell, most of the BMW techs will tell you that you can skip the first few checks at the very least simply because they just won't be at the point that they need to be adjusted.

HMMMM....Lot's of great replies and lots to consider. I've never seen the Grand Canyon, so that's on the must see list. Also, I have friends in Amarillo that I would like to visit. My ultimate goal is to ride to Savannah where my dad lives and then go north to Charleston to see my sister. I have so much vacation time on the books that time is a non issue. I'm thinking maybe late April-mid May...

The Grand Canyon is pretty grand, but there's another worth checking out and it's right outside of Amarillo. Save a day to see Palo Duro Canyon, interesting landscapes and interesting history there. It impressed me nearly as much as the Grand Canyon. Just smaller...

My long distance rides have been on FJRs. About 150,000 miles between the two, both reliable. Comfortable enough for touring, but still handle well on secondary roads. BMW RTs good as well for sure, but cost more.

guess ima fan of using a bike already in the garage … :ride

went west-to-east on a second-hand, running condition, ‘87 EX500 parts-bike I’d paid $400 for—did 1000 mi/24 hours the first day from San Francisco over Sonora Pass to Tonopah and Hwy 6/I-70 to Parachute, CO.

made my way the second day across CO to Alliance NE because I wanted to see the Sand Hills, and the third day was Hwy 2 and then 1500mi/36 hours to Manhattan to see “The Art of the Motorcycle” show at the Guggenheim. got a couple Iron Butt Certificates (IBA#4200) and didn’t get rained on once over the four days. :party

picture.php

16” bias ply tires and 30k on the odo. the green sticker that came with the bike on the purple fairing says “Fatto a mano in Italia” … :facepalm:laughing

Gotta say John, your adventures often deliver! :thumbup How many folks even know the Sand Hills exist? Live up to your expectations?

I was lucky on one visit, the hills were green from rain and spent the night next to a little lake (in Minnesota we would have called it a pond.) Listening the to the insects, some birds, and the wind through the grass and reeds was magical.

I’ve done a bunch of cross country rides, but never c2c in one shot. My buddy did the TAT (see the ADV threads - you’ll get dirty on that one) on a DR650. That one ends up up somewhere in the vicinity you’re going to, iirc.

Assuming you’re going to prefer pavement for your run, one option to consider would be Route 66, at least the first half, which will get you to MO or so. Yeah yeah yeah, it’s no longer in use. But there are some great books documenting the old road and attractions along the way, which includes an easy stop at the Grand Canyon.

Rode it two up on a ‘93 Harley Dyna without a windscreen back in ‘95. Chicago to LA. I believe 14 days taking it nice and leisurely. Sedona was cool. Jerome. Grand Canyon. Cadillac Ranch. Lava Beds NM. Racing with two-mile long freight trains on two-lane blacktop out in the middle of nowhere, USA, with the conductor waving and blowing his horn. Great memories. And BBQ - some amazing BBQ joints.

Unless you wanted to finish the ride and end up in Chicago before heading down to GA, you’d need to pick your bailout, maybe somewhere in OK or MO, and then make your way from there. It basically follows I-40 across the south, so pretty easy to figure out.

A Wing or a HD Glide would be my picks. I’ve ridden sections at various times over the years on it on my GS, on an HD Road King, a Wing and my Dyna. I’d pick any of them. RT would be good too. And you might like the BMW K1600B, which is sportier than the LT (light truck lol).

How many folks even know the Sand Hills exist? Live up to your expectations?

I was lucky on one visit, the hills were green from rain and spent the night next to a little lake (in Minnesota we would have called it a pond.) Listening the to the insects, some birds, and the wind through the grass and reeds was magical.

envy your camping experience in the Sand Hills, I’d love to get back there someday in order to spend time camping. Hwy 2 across NE through the Sand Hills was wonderful, and exceeded my expectations. :gsxrgrl

remember seeing a sign for the “Nebraska National Forest” and the Scott watch tower and saying to myself “forest? I gotta see this.” :laughing

went into a little country store in the Sand Hills to try to buy a small plastic bottle of water for the road, and the nice people there just laughed at me and told me they had no plastic water bottles for sale, but I could help myself to plenty of excellent free water from their spigot in the back. :clown

route wise, I guess I’ve done more of what I think of as your part of the world when I went coast to coast in an ‘84 Saab around the north side of the Great Lakes. bashed that car good on a deer that ran out right in front of us in northern MN. :facepalm

and did the whole coast-to-coast round trip thing in a ‘72 Dodge Tradesman 200 camper van with my college girlfriend in ‘82 I guess. lots of Ntnl Parks that trip. god bless the 318 engine. :toothless

lots of fun ideas in this thread. would love to see the Trans-Labrador and/or the Palo Duro Canyon, someday. both would be fun on your new-to-you CJ-resuscitated BMW, I bet. :ride

Last edited:
Back