• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Right of way when cross traffic does not stop?

Guoseph

Moto(s)
Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC-F
Name
Alex
Ok this one has bugged me for a long time. In intersections where the cross traffic does not stop like below

right_of_way_N.jpg

It's clear that the white car must wait for any cars in the blue direction before making a left. What's not clear to me is if there is another car at the opposite stop sign going straight through, is it by order of arrival (as in, stop sign rules), or is it left turn yields to straight through?

Who ever arrives first has the right of way if they both arrive at the same time then it’s up to one to yield

same time, I would expect the car making a left turn across traffic to yield, unless the turning vehicle was a mail truck...something like that.

If the car making the left turn goes behind the one going straight, overall it takes less time than the other way around. So I wait for the one going straight unless they wave me through or something. :cool

Who ever arrives first has the right of way if they both arrive at the same time then it’s up to one to yield

This is how I've always interpreted it. I don't know that it's specifically in any code.

This is how I've always interpreted it. I don't know that it's specifically in any code.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Usually I err on the safe side and let the straight car through, as I have encountered many who believe they have the right of way.

If the car making the left turn goes behind the one going straight, overall it takes less time than the other way around. So I wait for the one going straight unless they wave me through or something. :cool

This. You go into the intersection and turn behind them. Is this not obvious?

This. You go into the intersection and turn behind them. Is this not obvious?

But that means the person arriving later at a stop sign has the right of way. I do this anyway but I'm just trying to figure out the actual traffic law.

I've gotten less patient so if I am approaching along with another car, it's whoever stops first, and sometimes I'll stop short. I'm not going to sit there and wait for them to stop. And besides, maybe they just didn't turn on their signal.

It seems the law would be more clear. What if there was a collision in this case because someone did not yield, then how is fault determined?

i've gotten less patient so if i am approaching along with another car, it's whoever stops first, and sometimes i'll stop short. I'm not going to sit there and wait for them to stop. And besides, maybe they just didn't turn on their signal.

It seems the law would be more clear. What if there was a collision in this case because someone did not yield, then how is fault determined?

50/50.

Wait... someone sitting at a stop sign has right of way over someone driving straight with no stop sign? :wtf

No, the question is both have a stop sign.

I thought left turners had to yield to on-coming traffic.

No, the question is both have a stop sign.

I thought left turners had to yield to on-coming traffic.

Not really... at a 4 way stop, the first to arrive gets to go first regardless of which way they are turning.

So, it kinda makes sense that, at a two way stop, the same applies for both stoppers.

Personally, if I have arrived first and stop, then the other person should be stopping while I'm now moving on.

Not really... at a 4 way stop, the first to arrive gets to go first regardless of which way they are turning.

So, it kinda makes sense that, at a two way stop, the same applies for both stoppers.

Personally, if I have arrived first and stop, then the other person should be stopping while I'm now moving on.

Yes but in many cases the crossing street (without the stop signs) is the busier street so while waiting to turn another car could have come from the opposite direction. I have a lot of these intersections around my house so I see a lot of different situations and behavior.

I vote we label y’all :D
We had that discussion once, not too long ago, and the LEO's decided that it wasn't in their best interest to have some sort of BARF designation. If you hang around here long enough, you kind of learn who most of them are.

:mm4l

Back