• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Right of way when cross traffic does not stop?

We had that discussion once, not too long ago, and the LEO's decided that it wasn't in their best interest to have some sort of BARF designation. If you hang around here long enough, you kind of learn who most of them are.

:mm4l

I was just kidding, no real reason to put a target on anyone for a public forum.

It’s just usually what I’ve seen in this section is someone comes up with a CVC that clearly describes the situation by now.

Not really... at a 4 way stop, the first to arrive gets to go first regardless of which way they are turning.

Umm, I thought we came at the same time?

Then what?

Through traffic? Yo!

It's a 2-way stop here, but does that matter?

I was just kidding, no real reason to put a target on anyone for a public forum.

It’s just usually what I’ve seen in this section is someone comes up with a CVC that clearly describes the situation by now.

21800 and 21802. In this case, they're both vague enough that the driver's have to figure it out amongst each other

21800 and 21802. In this case, they're both vague enough that the driver's have to figure it out amongst each other

Thanks

21800.e.2 specifically states:

(e) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(2) Any intersection controlled by stop signs from less than all directions.

Still trying to understand 21802 but as far as I can tell it talks about yielding to cross traffic that does not have a stop sign installed.

Stop signs aren't rocket science.

If your at an intersection with stop signs only in your direction and cross traffic is hindering who goes first from the stop sign just hand signal the other person your intent.
Whether that's to let them go first or to halt while you go first it don't matter.
Cross traffic will still be the determining factor, since they don't have to stop.

This would "only" be a decision issue if one of the stopped cars is turning through the other stopped cars path.
And it's only a minute or so of patience to solve the dilemma.

Whoever gets there first has right of way. If you arrive at the same time, turning vehicle yields to vehicle proceeding straight.

Whoever gets there first has right of way. If you arrive at the same time, turning vehicle yields to vehicle proceeding straight.
Is this still true if you have to wait half a minute or more for cross traffic to clear?

Is this still true if you have to wait half a minute or more for cross traffic to clear?

From my understanding, yes. I don’t know the VC section off the top of my head, nor am I interested in digging through the VC to find it.

This is from the California Driver’s Handbook:

Intersections

An intersection is any place where one line of roadway meets another roadway. Intersections include cross streets, side streets, alleys, freeway entrances, and any other location where vehicles traveling on different highways or roads join each other.

Driving through an intersection is one of the most complex traffic situations motorists encounter. Intersection collisions account for more than 45% of all reported crashes and 21% of fatalities according to the Federal Highway Administration.

At intersections without “STOP” or “YIELD” signs, slow down and be ready to stop. Yield to traffic and pedestrians already in the intersection or just entering the intersection. Also, yield to the vehicle or bicycle that arrives first, or to the vehicle or bicycle on your right if it reaches the intersection at the same time as you.

At “T” intersections without “STOP” or “YIELD” signs, yield to traffic and pedestrians on the through road. They have the right-of-way.

When you turn left, give the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching that are close enough to be dangerous. Also, look for motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Safety suggestion: While waiting to turn left, keep your wheels pointed straight ahead until it is safe to start your turn. If your wheels are pointed to the left, and a vehicle hits you from behind, you could be pushed into oncoming traffic.

When you turn right, be sure to check for pedestrians who want to cross the street and bicyclists riding next to you.

On divided highways or highways with several lanes, watch for vehicles coming in any lane you cross. Turn either left or right only when it is safe.

When there are “STOP” signs at all corners, stop first and then follow the rules listed above.

If you have parked on the side of the road or are leaving a parking lot, etc., yield to traffic before reentering the road.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/right_of_way#intersections

From my understanding, yes. I don’t know the VC section off the top of my head, nor am I interested in digging through the VC to find it.

This is from the California Driver’s Handbook:
Thanks.

The highlighted words are about as clear as you're likely to get for explaining the rules. :thumbup

Back