• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Safer Splitting: A Guide for Noobs

2-lane backroads highways & surface streets

I was on a backroad CA highway the other weekend with a group, and we passed a huge traffic back-up going the opposite direction. When we stopped, I asked the other members of the group I was riding with why I saw a pair of motorcyclists side-by-side just waiting in line with the car traffic -- why did they not "split the lane" on the right, where there was a paved shoulder, or the left, which was double-yellow but plenty of room. Because the cars were just in a parking lot, edging forward 2 feet every 5 minutes, for a good half-mile. An elder said those two bikes were staying in their place in the line of cars bc it is only legal to split the lane when there are two lanes of traffic going in your direction. And they referenced a comrade who had been ticketed for this. I wondered if this is just for "highways" (legally defined) and not for city or surface streets, and nobody was sure. I have seen police on motorcycles split the lane on city streets with only one lane going in their direction, without emergency signs. I have done it for decades, never cited. Am I risking citation? It's a commuter necessity, and I can't be delayed or late to my destination, but I'll give it up if I have to.

You can split between two lanes on highways and surface streets where there are two.

The shoulder though often used is ticketable and also puts you more at risk for a puncture.

Passing on the shoulder or over a solid yellow on the left carry the same penalties; $234-$237 and one point.

Years (10?) ago, it was vastly cheaper to ride the shoulder. Guess they were pressured to not discriminate?

You can split between two lanes on highways and surface streets where there are two.

The shoulder though often used is ticketable and also puts you more at risk for a puncture.

This is the actual code https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-code/veh-sect-21658-1/

(a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways.

The "vehicles in the same lane" is a bit ambiguous to me. Two columns (I mean, they're not really rows, are they?) of vehicles can't occupy "the same lane", so that doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I was under the assumption that it called out explicitly two lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. By the way this reads, I wonder if you could legally lane share as long as you don't cross a solid yellow.

Maybe we should split this section of comments off and move them to the LEO subforum so someone there can weigh in.

I think between rows says it all.

I do believe that sharing on a single road is not going to get you a ticket unless there is an agressive officer. I got a tongue lashing for doing it but no ticket for it.

Feel free to ask in the Leo Forum. Don't task me bro. :laughing

I think between rows says it all.

I do believe that sharing on a single road is not going to get you a ticket unless there is an agressive officer. I got a tongue lashing for doing it but no ticket for it.

Feel free to ask in the Leo Forum. Don't task me bro. :laughing

:laughing

Yeah but, like, what if traffic in both directions is parked?? Then what? I mean, now you have two rows of cars. :ride:twofinger:laughing

:laughing

Any interpretation you can throw at an officer to get a freebie is worth a try. :thumbup

I thought it once said cars...moving in the same direction, and I think they,, missed,, a comma there,

Not sure what the issue could be if "traffic" in both directions is parked? Is this like double parked so you split between the parked cars in your lane?

I'd just like to chime in and remind us all that we are damn lucky lane splitting is legal here and for the most part our population has developed a culture of acceptance regarding motorcycles and splitting lanes.

......except baggers that give it throttle for no apparent reason and have their music blasting louder than a space-x takeoff

We are lucky and 99% of the thanks goes to the CHP.

Back