• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

San Francisco Motorcycle Club - Est. 1904

Yes it is. :thumbup

Who is the orange crew?

Great Picture.:thumbup

Yes it is. :thumbup

Who is the orange crew?

:thumbup

you wouldn’t believe what red tape Mr Bungee had to go through to get 5 minutes of access to that runway, and then herd us cats into place for a pic. :laughing

sorry, should have said. the orange crew is the Oakland Motorcycle Club, god bless them … :party

Ah... I can see the banner on my computer. The phone was not so good.

Really cool John. Props to Mr. Bungee

The SFMC forges ahead into the 21st Century … our newest member, Rob, touring Europe last week:

52443208358_e85ab55fea_c_d.jpg

speaking of forging ahead, the SFMC will be showing the penultimate round of MotoGP this Sunday (tomorrow 10/23/22) starting with Moto2 at 4pm, Moto3 at 5pm and the big show at 6pm at our vintage SF clubhouse at Folsom and 18th Streets.

find me and tell me you’re from BARF, and I’ll buy you a beverage of your choice … such a deal. :laughing:ride

we’re gearing up for 2023, our Ride Captain this year, Mr Vince, got our post card hand out ride schedule printed up:

picture.php

picture.php

:ride

Last edited:
this Easter Sunday:

unnamed2.jpeg

think the SFMC is again planning on serving coffee at sunrise on Mt Tam this Easter, like last year. :ride

not sure if the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence will be doing the bike blessing, or not. :laughing

Last edited:
Hey John

What is the symbol in the logo on your vest?
Also is that the original design?

Attachments

• F7E86A18-DA2C-4138-9227-E1FD7A67A56C.jpg
    F7E86A18-DA2C-4138-9227-E1FD7A67A56C.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 56
attachment.php

Hey John

What is the symbol in the logo on your vest?
Also is that the original design?

that patch is from our corporate seal (a little hand press device that would emboss that logo on paperwork)—hear that it was life-member Papa Schiller’s idea to use it as a patch design in the early 1980s. we have a very early California corporate charter, from the 1910. we still use the hand press to emboss the wallet size card we use to keep track of having paid our monthly dues.

our original patch, I guess, was the “puppy wings” as seen in this late ‘50s pic on our sweaters. we’re what you’d call a mom-and-pop sweater club, organized to provide social opportunities for people interested in motorcycles:

4267344669_5626af0ba5_z.jpg

I have a denim vest with the puppy wings on the back, and one of the vintage club sweaters, also.

we’re very proud of our “Best Dressed Club” AMA trophy from the infamous 1947 Hollister Gypsy Tour, and have always been open to being flexible with club attire—embracing leather vests, for example, while other traditional AMA sweater clubs in the Bay Area have resisted emulating biker-lifestyle apparel. in our club any member can present an item of SFMC clothing (or new patch design), and ask that the membership present approve it by a simple majority vote as being official club colors. I’ve seen that done many, many times.

we have a “high points” contest every year, where 5 points are awarded for showing up, 5 point for showing up on a motorcycle, and 2 points for wearing official club attire at club events. person with the most points at the end of the season gets a nice trophy at our annual awards banquet.

anyway, the higher points for showing up on a motorcycle, compared to whatever clown outfit we may be sporting, keeps things in proper perspective, maybe. :laughing

:ride:blah

Last edited:
Cool old pic of the sweaters.

Thank for the explanation!

Cool old pic of the sweaters.

Thank for the explanation!

that kind of stuff is fun for me to remember ... :gsxrgrl

we got some press, recently, from the Mt Tam Easter Sunrise Ride:

A Ride Down Memory Lane
"A look inside the heart, and driving force, of San Francisco’s oldest motorcycle club."
xpressmagazine.org, by Nathan Hitchcock. April 26, 2023

tl/dr:
It’s Easter Sunday — early, and the sun has not yet risen. Motorcyclists donned in leather vests adorned with blue and gold SFMC patches get on their bikes parked in a line in front of 2194 Folsom St. They’re heading for the top of Mount Tamalpais in Marin, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

:afm199

Cool stuff John!

I didn't know the bit about Hap Jones. Super cool. :thumbup

Cool stuff John!

I didn't know the bit about Hap Jones. Super cool. :thumbup

yes, fun story about Mr Hap being the first person across the finished GG Bridge in 1937 ...

picture.php

here is a kind of weird coincidence--my folks (who were totally NOT motorcycle people) went to Florida in the '70s, and brought me home this poster, which was on my childhood bedroom wall, and is now on my living room wall having been framed at one point as it followed me around the USA.

I'd been in the club 15 years or so, when Mr Brian, our club historian, brought in the exact same poster, which had been in someone's storage unit. turns out it was a promotional poster from Mr Hap Jones's famous motorcycle parts mail order business.

idk ... just a little strange that a kid from NJ would wind up living with a poster from the guy who was responsible for the clubhouse the kid would become a life member of so many years later. :laughing

Last edited:
idk ... just a little strange that a kid from NJ would wind up living with a poster from the guy who was responsible for the clubhouse the kid would become a life member of so many years later.

This is happening a lot in my world now, on any thing I've done or part of. I consider it coming full circle, releasing any left over issues/feelings as a complete memory without regret, but pride.
Job done

I remember a salesman for bike parts rolling in on Vincents, a grey Comet and a Black Prince, maybe a Norton, mid 60's

Last edited:
The circle is life being connected.

Awesome to see friends experience it. :thumbup

Back