• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What difference do wheel diameter and width make for highway rides?

P777

Moto(s)
Kawasaki Vulcan S
Name
Alexey
From your experience, what is the difference in handling large and thinner front wheels vs. smaller in diameter and wider front wheels on a highway? I understand that for off-road, a bigger front wheel is better. What difference do wheel diameter and width make for highway rides?
Here are two examples of similar bikes from the same vendor with different wheel sizes.

Bigger
1723322568729.png
smaller
1723322497263.png

Huge. Ya gotta figger out what you want in steering geometry. Geometry? that is like a MATH word.

Faster turn in and tighter handling with the smaller front wheels in my experience. You can still go plenty quick on a bigger front wheel, but the turn in feels different and presumably a skilled rider would be faster with a smaller front.

Ok, thanks. If I get it right, a smaller front is more suitable for a highway ride, and a bigger one is for adventure and other off road types.

Basically, both will do fine on road, if you're trying to ride in a spirited fashion you'll get more out of a 17" front, for off road, the larger wheel / skinnier tires will track better over bumps and dips as they can roll over the top more easily while also finding traction in the loose stuff, just depends on what you're wanting to do

The last six bikes that I have purchased have all had 21" front wheels (and 18" rears). Turn in is fast enough, and they usually have wider bars, so better leverage. If you're more concerned with safe riding than quick riding there is not a huge difference between wheel sizes. And the bigger ones deal with potholes better than the smaller 17" wheels do.

As for width, both of my bikes have 90/90-21 fronts, but the Honda has a 120/90-18 rear while the KTM has a 150/70-18. Both quite a bit narrower than the 170 or 180 rears of the Ducatis that I've owned. But since most riders don't really go past about 30 degrees of lean angle anyway while riding on the street, both have plenty of traction.

Again, if safe riding is more important to you than fast riding, the narrower tires have sufficient traction.

I think wheel diameter is a secondary factor for determining the character of the ride, subordinate to other aspects of geometry and mass distribution. I have 16, 17, 19, and 21" front wheels in the stable. They're all fine, in the twisties and on the highway.

Let us remember that the OP mentioned for “highway use”. Not twisties, not off road, just highway use. And in that context, I don’t think there is any particular difference between tire sizes.

Let us remember that the OP mentioned for “highway use”. Not twisties, not off road, just highway use. And in that context, I don’t think there is any particular difference between tire sizes.
Define HWY?? :twofinger

4, 108, 130, Etc ... all have twisty stuff.

I get he is likely talking straightish stuff, but he did not say freeway so I had to give ya some love. :laughing

I agree with the better feel with the 17". and I agree both will do fine. If you highway is going to lead to some light off road then the bigger wheel makes sense.

17's is what the industry is pushing, I grew up with mostly 19's for street, I prefer these, for the weight and diameter. I tried a 17 on a Duc, between the two, both were very tight on maneuvering, felt lighter, but would pucker my star, trying to climb out of dirt ruts.

Now the 12" on the mini, whole 'nother kettle of fish. But it qualifies in OP parameters.
I tend to try to turn in too soon/quickly, it happens so quick, starting the turn, but I really have to wait to complete the turn, just like your ski instructor told you. I do look for wheel traps, though.

What difference do wheel diameter and width make for highway rides?​

A larger diameter/less rotations per mile, . Have tendency too last longer.
A wider width/greater contact patch, . Have tendency too last longer.

You'll have more tire choices with a 17 then a 21".

Guys, thanks for sharing your opinions. My question is about the impact made by the wheel's diameter and width on riding a commuting road, i.e., highway, freeway, or any other type of road to commute daily. Off-road riding, track, and big-city commutes (frequent stops and limited speed, more suitable for scooters in city traffic) probably differ from regular commutes in California. I asked this question regarding a bike for the daily commutes, with once-in-a-while adventures or long rides. Also, rainy days or icy roads in the morning are probably part of commute riding considerations.
Regardless of my initial intention, you are welcome to share your knowledge in any other related areas.
There are many online publications that offer various information and analysis, so your experience-based feedback helps.
Here is one, for example,
https://motorcyclehorizon.com/what-do-motorcycle-tire-sizes-mean/

You'll have more choices of STREET tires for 17. The kind of tire I want on the front of either of my bikes is only available in 19" or 21". ;)
Isn't that what the OP asked about"

I am not impressed with that article. They said basically the following twice:
It’s not advisable to mix tire sizes on your motorcycle due to potential handling issues and safety concerns. Always use matching tire sizes.
Nearly every motorcycle that I've owned had different tire sizes in the front and at the rear. For example, something like a Ducati Monster has a 120/70-17 front and a 170/60-17 rear. Those are most definitely a mix of tire sizes.

Stick with Cycle World or one of the other quality motorcycle magazine sites.

Back