• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flying first class, when is it worth it?

I have only ever flown first class twice and I didn't pay for it either time. Both times were when the seat assignment was made at the last minute and that was all that they had left. Yes, it's probably twice as nice as sitting in the back, but generally way beyond my budget.
 
Depends how often I’d fly. Won’t be paying first class if flying monthly. Maybe once per year.
I generally pick premium economy, just two adjacent seats with plenty of elbow room and comfortable enough to sleep.
Although I’ve missed a few layovers recently and ended up in coach just to get an alternate flight. Wasn’t the end of the world.
 
IDK man, I can't afford it but the last time I flew to Hawaii I was sitting in between two large people, one of which asked if they could pull up the arm rest, I said yes and when they lifted the arm rest it was like a rockslide of flesh. Never again, Business or double seats for me.
 
I have a blood clot in my leg. After one pulmonary embolism, I realized I simply can't sit in a chair that long. While I hate paying the extra money, if it's the difference between dying or not, well I'll spend the money (and look down upon the poors).
I actually have never had that problem, until I got a blood clot in my leg flying economy in United To Austin from SFO.

I am 6' 3", I do not fit on airplanes. It seems my stoic commitment to just wedging myself into the seat and suffering grim faced and still for four hours without moving was a poor decision.

I try to always upgrade now to business class, and won't get on a flight unless I can have an Aisle seat that allows me to stand and reintegrate circulation into my extremities periodically.
 
I could never rationalize the cost. I flew first class once but it was paid for by my employer. We were working in Bangkok and our visas were about to expire so they flew us 1st class to Singapore for the night. Returned the next day first class too. It was on Thai Airways. The food was extraordinary and the flight attendants were stunningly beautiful.
 
My wife flies 1st more than I ever will, and even a few times on a company PJ. And she loves it. I’ve only flown 1st one time, and other than the big seat I didn’t see what the big deal was. Free checked bag, which I already got anyways because of the credit card. Guaranteed overhead bin spot? I never carry on other than a backpack I shove under the seat, so that didn’t matter to me. And the one time I flew 1st, it was a redeye so apparently they don’t do for and beverage service for that. Since I do always check bags, the first bags off and on the claim carousel thing…I suppose that was kinda nice.
 
Flown Business through Avianca when I traveled to Ecuador from SFO, included the bigger seat and basically all you can eat/drink during the flight (included in flight). Lounge in the airports was nice too.

When I came home I flew home from Ecuador to SFO I tried American Airlines Business Class and basically the same seats, BUT the drinks weren't included this time :cautious:

BUT I will say American Airlines lounge is super nice.

It was the first time I ever flew something nicer other than coach, I'll probably keep doing coach. But it was fun for the experience.
 
I think the vast majority of people in first/business class are flying on free or highly discounted upgrades, because of status they they have from flying so much for their jobs. Or they are business travelers and due to lack of coach capacity, which is where they are often slammed into, their employer had no other choice than to pay for first/business.

Once I realized these things, it kind of changed the way I looked at the perk. It's a consolation prize for torture victims. A reclining seat and a few complementary alcoholic drinks to take your mind away from the fact that you spend a good part of your life breathing in other people's farts.
 
I will say the biggest game changer when I travel by plane is bringing my Nintendo Switch. Ear buds and a good game and these flights are a breeze.
 
My experiences on ‘cheaper’ domestic 1st class were that the lounge is nice, but they’ve been too full for entry on several occasions. On international flights though, Delta’s lie flat at 180 degrees seating cubes with sheets and blankies must be da bomb. Haven’t sprung for that…yet.
 
Never have...don't know what I am missing.
 
Never have...don't know what I am missing.
Champagne right when you sit down, heated warm towels, real silverware and still some preheated food. In terminal you get lounges with free booze, showers and buffet/restaurants food

You still smell the same fartbox air and it's not like 1st class has better sound deadening around the windows and you get to hear the one guy who falls asleep in any position anywhere snoring like crazy

The credit cards offer some crazy miles and I figure if anybody is chasing credit card points or airline miles somehow.

I know like 10+ years ago you could go on vacay and use points and get like over 50%+ of your bill reduced by using the promotional points or leveraged bonus etc for flights and hotel stays
 
I have never done it, but I'm about to turn 64 and I told my Wife "I will never fly Coach again- for International Travel". I used to work in China, a lot, and my job would offer business class for those flights, or you could fly Coach and get a $2,000 bonus. So, I would always fly coach.

My Wife and I flew to Thailand, in Premium Economy, on Singapore Airlines-- that was awesome!!!! On our Return trip to SFO, we were on an Airbus A350ULH. That plane has 4 seats in the back that are SINGLE File on both sides of the plane. WE got two of those. It was epic. The service on Singapore Airlines was unbelievable. When I next fly to Thailand, I will really try to get those seats, otherwise I will pay for Business Class.
 
I'm too old to fly coach anymore. Body can't take it. So do business to Europe all the time now. Lie flat on a 11 hr flight is the only way. Luckily I can afford it, and I have a lot of air miles with AMEX. An AMEX platinum lets you reserve a two-fer if you pay one full fare. I've done that with wife a couple of times.

Comfort Class overseas is also fairly good at much less than Business class. Still get priority boarding and better service and seats.

Most first class (really business) domestically is not so expensive as overseas.

BTW Air France to Europe, if you can do so is unbelievable. The Food................................!!!
 
I have never understood the interest in priority boarding. F' that noise. Seats are assigned for a reason. I typically wait past my Boarding Group and am one of the very last people to get on the plane. All those mofos waiting for a stand by seat are giving me the hairy eyeball the whole time, but I wait until the last couple of bodies from the last boarding group to get on.
 
I have never understood the interest in priority boarding. F' that noise. Seats are assigned for a reason. I typically wait past my Boarding Group and am one of the very last people to get on the plane. All those mofos waiting for a stand by seat are giving me the hairy eyeball the whole time, but I wait until the last couple of bodies from the last boarding group to get on.
Do you fuck with the overhead bins?
 
BUT I will say American Airlines lounge is super nice.
Not anymore. People can buy in with tickets, not exclusive anymore.
My experiences on ‘cheaper’ domestic 1st class were that the lounge is nice, but they’ve been too full for entry on several occasions. On international flights though, Delta’s lie flat at 180 degrees seating cubes with sheets and blankies must be da bomb. Haven’t sprung for that…yet.
We flew Labor Day and there were more people queued up for the lounges than there were in the whole terminal. Their faces were grim. They all paid however much extra to stand in a line 20 deep, waiting for others with no time limit other than their boarding time. The luxurification of commerce is hitting some people hard. Our friend bought formula 1 club passes for $14K each expecting elbow room at least. It was a zoo of nuevo riche influencer-type people decidedly lacking the born and bred sophistication of his class. Hated it.

You ain't first class because you got the money, honey.
 
I've been flown to many places and one of the best experiences I had was coming back from Israel. It was the same day of Whitney H. funeral and I was in first class. Across the row from me was that famous preacher-forgot his name! Sort of a thrill.
 
I’m only on a plane every 3-4 years when we travel to the Philippines to visit my wife’s family so I suppose I could “justify” going 1st class given the length of the flight and how rarely go.

Whenever we go however, we have her parents and at least one of my kids so 1st class X5 is a bit too much.

Maybe someday when it’s just my wife and I…
 
Back
Top