• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Retail giants are blaming their lower profits on theft...

With all due respect Bud, fuck vigilantism. Not a single civilized society in the world still permits that shit.

With all due respect I did not say vigilantism.

Let the Police sort it out with actual policing and the DA doing some :kicknuts

So easy to label what you think is said when it was not said. :twofinger

2023 Best School Districts for Athletes in California

One thing that is consistent with the school ranking is that most of the ranking systems for schools are inconsistent. Also, the top ranked school districts require $$$$$$$$ to live there. Clovis Unified is far more affordable.

Oh, for athletes. That makes more sense. No denying it's more affordable down there but Fresno/Bakersfield is like the butthole of CA :laughing

Don't know what you call appropriate, not much choices there. Just few miles north are Virginia Highlands. Nice houses and big properties. When I bought my current house 6 years ago I was looking there. Only reason I am not there is wife still commutes to work and it would not be easy for her in winter.

You don't know me so you don't understand what I was getting at. If it's not old and victorian, it's not appropriate. I have zero interest in anything modern in that area.

With all due respect I did not say vigilantism.

Let the Police sort it out with actual policing and the DA doing some :kicknuts

So easy to label what you think is said when it was not said. :twofinger

It's the way it read to me...

Oh, for athletes. That makes more sense. No denying it's more affordable down there but Fresno/Bakersfield is like the butthole of CA :laughing
Fresno/Clovis and Bakersfield are about as different as cities can get.

Bakersfield is a shithole, even the people that have or do live there admit it.

There are some very bad parts of Fresno, but much of it is quite good, nice (and affordable) houses, great schools and sports.

$500k buys you a nice 4-5 bedroom house (in a nice and safe neighborhood) within walking distance of 10/10 ranked schools. We've got some really nice lakes within 20 minutes and Yosemite is about 1 hour away.

Since you know me then I think you should think about the read based on the human typing. :teeth

:laughing

There's a reason it's called the armpit of California and it's not just due to geography.

There are some very bad parts of Fresno, but much of it is quite good, nice (and affordable) houses, great schools and sports.

$500k buys you a nice 4-5 bedroom house (in a nice and safe neighborhood) within walking distance of 10/10 ranked schools. We've got some really nice lakes within 20 minutes and Yosemite is about 1 hour away.

Cool...who actually pays enough for someone to afford the mortgage payments on such a house? I didn't realize Fresno was known for its high wages.

Where were you born?

I was born in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada, it's about 350 miles north of the US border in Manitoba. Trust me when I say it gets cold up there. :laughing

lol - i definitely trust you. am from northwest minnesota. directly below you and that awesome arctic jet stream than looks like an inverted bell curve coming out of the pole and down through manitoba. my dad was also stationed at minot AFB for awhile. it was even colder - had a couple of well sub zeros where icicles formed along the ceiling on the inside of our house. as a kid, it never really bothered me though. and as an adult i guess it doesn't bother me either. we had a shit ton of snow last winter. were snowed in for 11 days. great wine-by-the-fire weather.

You don't know me so you don't understand what I was getting at. If it's not old and victorian, it's not appropriate. I have zero interest in anything modern in that area.

good friend of mine lives in hamilton, north carolina (along the roanoke). she has a 3 story victorian built in 1837. beautiful historic home, complete with root cellar. the guest room she always has me stay in is on the third floor. huge feather bed, big down comforter. one time when i was visiting there was a big storm (remnants of a hurricane). i fell asleep listening to the fire crackling, and rain on the roof. it was magical.

good friend of mine lives in hamilton, north carolina (along the roanoke). she has a 3 story victorian built in 1837. beautiful historic home, complete with root cellar. the guest room she always has me stay in is on the third floor. huge feather bed, big down comforter. one time when i was visiting there was a big storm (remnants of a hurricane). i fell asleep listening to the fire crackling, and rain on the roof. it was magical.

:love

Anecdotally, I don't have the concerns of windows being broken out and stuff stolen from my car in the others three states I'm in: CO, FL, PA. My friends in PA think I'm nuts to hide stuff all the time.

11 or 12-ish years ago I was visiting my dad in PA and left stuff in the car (camera, wallet, GPS, etc). Came out the next morning to go somewhere and just down the road I realized my GPS was missing, went back to see if I'd taken it in the previous night then called the cops. My CU told me my card had been used at a local grocery store, cops went there, looked at security tapes, ID'd the suspects and arrested them (dude and his GF, in their early 20s) that afternoon.

They had ripped off several people in a big circular route from where they were living at the time, just down the road from my dad, semi-rural area. They ended up going to jail and being ordered to pay restitution. this happened in 2011 or 2012 and I still get status updates (parole or probation or whatever) and restitution checks from the DA. The last one I remember was in April or May for $15-20. The town where he lives has just over 1,000 people and the county has 450,000 or something so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I'm not sure the cops in my town would do anything in a similar incident or that the DA would prosecute.

Cool...who actually pays enough for someone to afford the mortgage payments on such a house? I didn't realize Fresno was known for its high wages.
It's not known for high wages, but it's also not known for low wages, as well. Given that homes are 1/3 of Bay Area prices with far superior schools in affordable areas, for many people they can afford to have their kids go to very good schools without paying for private school.

Let's face it, outside of tech, are people in the Bay Area making 3 times the wages in Fresno? I doubt it.

My entire neighborhood in the Hayward hills was filled with 3/2 decent homes in the $500’s. That doesn’t make what you’re suggesting anywhere near 1/3 of that price. I think you meant 1/3 of the price if SF, San Jose or Palo Alto and the like. But those areas don’t even encompass half of the actual Bay Area.

Fresno/Clovis and Bakersfield are about as different as cities can get.

I mean, not trying to hate on Fresno, but explain to me what the Club Scene, the Theater Arts, the Museums, the Colleges, and and the Symphony is like in Fresno?

i.e. Anyplace that isn't a major Metropolitan center is a shithole. ;)

My entire neighborhood in the Hayward hills was filled with 3/2 decent homes in the $500’s. That doesn’t make what you’re suggesting anywhere near 1/3 of that price. I think you meant 1/3 of the price if SF, San Jose or Palo Alto and the like. But those areas don’t even encompass half of the actual Bay Area.

The dank steaming toilet of Hayweird isn't a place to take any prizes either. Should we do Vallejo next? :dunno

Last edited:
...so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I'm not sure the cops in my town would do anything in a similar incident or that the DA would prosecute.

Yeah, that's my belief too here in Coco county. The Police are good quality, IMO, but it really does come down to who sits in the DA's office. Cool to see we share some PA roots. Didn't know that about you Bill (5th gen Native CA, transplanted to PA as a kid)

It's not known for high wages, but it's also not known for low wages, as well. Given that homes are 1/3 of Bay Area prices with far superior schools in affordable areas, for many people they can afford to have their kids go to very good schools without paying for private school.

Let's face it, outside of tech, are people in the Bay Area making 3 times the wages in Fresno? I doubt it.

The default answer is yes. The Average Salary in Fresno is what $47k? So 3 times that would be $141k year?

It isn't unusual for a Union Plumber or Electrician to make that much in SF. If you want to look at the many Public Employee Salary lists for SF that go around, you can see $150k is no uncommon. This is just the blue collar kids.

Many Construction Management Types make that much as their regular salary just to keep it in blue collar industries. That kind of income is not very impressive at all the the San Francisco Financial Sector people based on Wall Street West.

Many corporate HQ and Home offices in SF are chock full of management types in the $130-$180k range.

:dunno

11 or 12-ish years ago I was visiting my dad in PA and left stuff in the car (camera, wallet, GPS, etc). Came out the next morning to go somewhere and just down the road I realized my GPS was missing, went back to see if I'd taken it in the previous night then called the cops. My CU told me my card had been used at a local grocery store, cops went there, looked at security tapes, ID'd the suspects and arrested them (dude and his GF, in their early 20s) that afternoon.

They had ripped off several people in a big circular route from where they were living at the time, just down the road from my dad, semi-rural area. They ended up going to jail and being ordered to pay restitution. this happened in 2011 or 2012 and I still get status updates (parole or probation or whatever) and restitution checks from the DA. The last one I remember was in April or May for $15-20. The town where he lives has just over 1,000 people and the county has 450,000 or something so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I'm not sure the cops in my town would do anything in a similar incident or that the DA would prosecute.

Try that in a small town?
:twofinger

Is that single family homes on actual property or condo's and homes in housing development where you're paying $500+ for HOA?

What kind of level is the schools?

I worked in Hayward back in the early 2000's, wouldn't want to live there.

How long ago was it that you lived there and saw the $500's? Don't you live somewhere else now and for awhile?

About a year ago. And flatland Hayward isn't anything like the Hayward Hills. Also, yes, that's for SFH not condos/townhouses.

like Ess Eff ever had a sitcom named after it.

[youtube]mZD5nEh_STQ[/youtube]

There it is, I've only seen it once and I have been waiting for this return, forever.

I remember it a little different, all closeup, where the dust, sweat, flys buzzing, almost feel the afternoon heat.
"This tastes like Fresno"
Then cue the Dancing Raisins, , ,

Back