• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

A very close call

ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider
Moto(s)
Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name
=Username
Maybe it has something to do with pointing out that it has been eleven years since I last crashed, but I came very close to going down less than an hour ago. I had ridden about 120 miles including all the way to the end of Wentworth Springs. I was on my way back down out of the hills on 193 and hit a rock in the road that I didn't see, probably due to heading right into the sun.

The rock felt like it was about two inches. I was thinking that I needed to watch the road a bit better when suddenly the bike just didn't want to steer. Using any front brake was also a scary experience. It wouldn't have been a problem on a straight flat road, but this was downhill on a twisty road.

It seemed like about 15 seconds before I finally figured out to go straight and stop with the rear brake. Probably more like three or four in actual time. I made three or four different moves that felt very close losing the front end before finally getting tha big KTM stopped - almost off of the left side of the road. A woman that I had just passed stopped to see if I was okay. She waited and gave me a ride into Placerville where I am right now.

While I'm waiting for a friend to come rescue me and the bike, I thought I would write this message. I hate typing on cell phones. And I don't need any Roadside Angel help either.

More details when I get on a proper keyboard.

Good to hear you are ok.

193 is a bad place for that for sure.

Glad you're OK, man. Hope any damage to the bike is limited to the front wheel.

whew

detail, pleez - after you're home & centered

If you kept the front wheel in the air you wouldn't have damaged the the front wheel.... J/K. Glad you are ok. Hope you have a third bike to ride or get the bike on the road again soon.

Okay, the bike is now safely in my garage. From how it felt pushing it around with the flat tire, I was sure the rim was bent, but I couldn't find evidence of any dent at all feeling around the rim. There definitely aren't any loose spokes. I'll have to look at it closer in the sunlight just to be sure. I'll also have to look closely to see if the tire is damaged. If not, I'll just stuff a new tube in there and be back in business.

I've had plenty of flat rear tires, but this is the first flat front I've ever had while moving. Flat front tires are much scarier than flat rear tires, especially when you're going 40-50 on a twisty mountain road headed downhill. I'm just thankful nobody was coming the other way when I finally went over to the other side of the road to get it stopped. I might have ended up dumping it trying to keep it in my lane.

I don't think this is something you can really prepare for without actually experiencing it. And it surprised me how long it seemed to take for me to figure out no front braking and no steering inputs. That's all logical of course, but logic doesn't seem to be quick enough in an emergency. You need to automatically do the right thing.

And I'm thankful for friends that are willing to take an hour and a half out of their Saturday afternoon to come rescue someone who has been stranded up in the hills twice in three months. :thumbup

Just for the heck of it, what tire are you running?

Tubes suck. Welcome to the catastrophic tire failure club.

Just for the heck of it, what tire are you running?
Heidenau K60 Scout:
NewK60s_zps5aa3d8b6.jpg

And after thinking about it a bit, I have had the same sensation steering in mud. But that was always at slow speeds like 5 mph. Often ending up dumping the bike on the side when it won't steer. But that was usually because the tire was following a rut instead of steering out of it like I wanted to. And always on bikes quite a bit lighter than a 990 Adventure.

Paul(Ozimandias sp?) had front go flat on his KLR and got thrown off the overpass in SF a few years back

Sound scary for sure. It must have gone flat very quickly. I'm glad you were able to keep it upright. Good job!

I'd go ahead and take the wheel in and have it trued,, or do it yourself if you are familiar with the process.
The KTM wheels are pretty stout but I find we have to tune our spokes periodicly on our Excel wheels :dunno

Glad you were able to get pulled over.

Was there any visible damage to the tire or the tube?

Heidenau K60 Scout:
[pic]
And after thinking about it a bit, I have had the same sensation steering in mud. But that was always at slow speeds like 5 mph. Often ending up dumping the bike on the side when it won't steer. But that was usually because the tire was following a rut instead of steering out of it like I wanted to. And always on bikes quite a bit lighter than a 990 Adventure.
Man, I like that tread pattern. It looks like a good compromise tire. Inspiring to get rid of one of the race replicas and get something more practical.

More throttle in the mud. You have to get the front floating, just like in sand, and steer with the rear. But, you know that, I am sure.

Okay, the bike is now safely in my garage. From how it felt pushing it around with the flat tire, I was sure the rim was bent, but I couldn't find evidence of any dent at all feeling around the rim. There definitely aren't any loose spokes. I'll have to look at it closer in the sunlight just to be sure. I'll also have to look closely to see if the tire is damaged. If not, I'll just stuff a new tube in there and be back in business.

I've had plenty of flat rear tires, but this is the first flat front I've ever had while moving. Flat front tires are much scarier than flat rear tires, especially when you're going 40-50 on a twisty mountain road headed downhill. I'm just thankful nobody was coming the other way when I finally went over to the other side of the road to get it stopped. I might have ended up dumping it trying to keep it in my lane.

I don't think this is something you can really prepare for without actually experiencing it. And it surprised me how long it seemed to take for me to figure out no front braking and no steering inputs. That's all logical of course, but logic doesn't seem to be quick enough in an emergency. You need to automatically do the right thing.

And I'm thankful for friends that are willing to take an hour and a half out of their Saturday afternoon to come rescue someone who has been stranded up in the hills twice in three months. :thumbup

Sounds like a snake bite. That's when you hit something hard enough for the rim to cut the inner tube but not the tire, and it deflates real fast after impact.

What was your tire pressure and tube thickness ?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great save despite having to go into the other lane to keep it upright.

Buy a lottery ticket!

Oh, and aren't good Samaritans the best?

Specifically the lady that gave you a ride.

Friends are expected to drop everything to help us when we need a disabled bike brought home! :laughing

Back