• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

A very close call

The bead is a non-issue for me. The beads hold onto the rim more tightly than any of the various tires I've used on my XR650.

As for the tire condition, the interior will be thoroughly checked before sticking it back on this time. If there is any sign of internal damage, I'll putting a new tire on there. Pinch tube flats are fairly common when riding dual sports at speed over rocks.

Rim lock?

I know we were having issues with flats on the KTMs at the shop. More the 1190 than the 990s but for some reason replacing the rim strip with some ridiculously priced KTM specified one stopped the flats :dunno

It's a pain for sure.

I know we were having issues with flats on the KTMs at the shop. More the 1190 than the 990s but for some reason replacing the rim strip with some ridiculously priced KTM specified one stopped the flats :dunno
Duct tape isn't good enough? :laughing

Duct tape isn't good enough? :laughing

One would think :laughing
I also know that there was an ongoing issue with the beas of the scorpians catching the rim strip but you would notice headshake before the flat.

The bead is a non-issue for me. The beads hold onto the rim more tightly than any of the various tires I've used on my XR650.

As for the tire condition, the interior will be thoroughly checked before sticking it back on this time. If there is any sign of internal damage, I'll putting a new tire on there. Pinch tube flats are fairly common when riding dual sports at speed over rocks.

You obviously don't understand what ST Guy said...But.. You would do well, to follow his advice...

Do NOT reuse that tire. Any hit hard enough to deflate the tire is hard enough to damage the tire. And that kind of damage is usually not visible as it's inside the structure of the tire. You don't want a repeat of your experience because you reused a damaged tire.

I'll 2nd that. 1st hand knowledge :thumbup

You obviously don't understand what ST Guy said...But.. You would do well, to follow his advice...
I haven't asked for anybody's advice yet in this thread. :x I've been relating my experience with this and answering other people's questions.

The tire has a tube in it. It go pinched and then lost air. The tube failed, not the tire.

As for the flat today, there was a pin-hole leak right in the center of the tube and nobody at Folsom Cycle could come up with a reason as to how it go there. I couldn't either. The tire held pressure for two days. There was nothing inside the tire anywhere and nothing poking into it. I find it baffling.

And at least they gave me a five buck discount this time around. Frequent Flyer program or something. :cool

Last edited:
Could be something starts to poke when it starts to flex under load, or could be just gremlins doing their shit. Doesn't really matter. New tire is cheaper then hospital bill and repairing crashed bike. At least that is how I feel about it. Tires are cheap insurance.

I haven't asked for anybody's advice yet in this thread. :x I've been relating my experience with this and answering other people's questions.

The tire has a tube in it. It go pinched and then lost air. The tube failed, not the tire.

As for the flat today, there was a pin-hole leak right in the center of the tube and nobody at Folsom Cycle could come up with a reason as to how it go there. I couldn't either. The tire held pressure for two days. There was nothing inside the tire anywhere and nothing poking into it. I find it baffling.

And at least they gave me a five buck discount this time around. Frequent Flyer program or something. :cool

OMG :facepalm
A a woman I often get defensive when the men folk start giving advice. This thread illustrates that it is simple human nature regardless of gender to start advising people about any freaking thing.

That said, check out that rim strip....

jk

:laughing

I don't suppose there is any way to know if the pinhole leak started in the same location of the original spot of the tire that hit the rock? Could it be like UDRider mentioned above that when the tire flexes something ends up poking the inner tube?

Did you say you replaced the original flat with a new tube or one you had laying around that had been used?

Are you running a regular tube or a heavy duty thick type?

Problem is that the damage can be inside the carcass itself and not visible at all. Do you really want to risk it for thecost of a new tire? I wouldn't.

...I've had plenty of flat rear tires, but this is the first flat front I've ever had while moving. Flat front tires are much scarier than flat rear tires, especially when you're going 40-50 on a twisty mountain road headed downhill...

I had a tubular tire roll off the front rim of my bicycle on a 50mph downhill. Pretty scary. I willed the bike upright and got it slowed down.

I don't suppose there is any way to know if the pinhole leak started in the same location of the original spot of the tire that hit the rock?
The original flat tube hole was on the side of the tube and was 1/4" long, running horizontally in the direction of the tube. A classic pinch flat. Definitely not in the same place.

Problem is that the damage can be inside the carcass itself and not visible at all. Do you really want to risk it for the cost of a new tire? I wouldn't.
I replace tires when I believe they've been compromised. Read this thread from last summer as an example:

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439692

If I have ANY more issues with this front tire, it will get replaced. I've done that before too with a rear tire that I had plugged, and then I ran over something else the next week and got an even worse flat.

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone, but as an experience rider, I'll still do things my way after careful thought. But thanks for your concern. :thumbup

Problem is that the damage can be inside the carcass itself and not visible at all. Do you really want to risk it for thecost of a new tire? I wouldn't.

Neither would I...I've seen the wreckage, from tire failure...That was totaled bike, rider, hospitalized, Doctor and hospital and helicopter bills, lost work, lost wages.

Tire failure can be a very price intensive thing.

I don't think you understand the kinds of forces involved to cause a tire to collapse to the degree that relatively smooth inner surfaces can apply enough force to pinch cut a compliant tube. Those kinds of forces can easily damage the inside of the tire carcass and you'll never see it.

But it's your ass on the road.

Done on install I bet.

What is the failure mode that everyone is so worried about?

Seems to me that even with a damaged carcass the tube will keep the tire inflated and on the rim. I can understand some strange bubbles or tread separation happening as the tire wears but am having trouble visualizing how the tire could fail catastrophically.

What is the failure mode that everyone is so worried about?

Seems to me that even with a damaged carcass the tube will keep the tire inflated and on the rim. I can understand some strange bubbles or tread separation happening as the tire wears but am having trouble visualizing how the tire could fail catastrophically.

Have you ever had a tire fail, catastrophically? I have, tube type. Came off the bead at speed (above 70 mph). Not much fun, I was across 2 lanes, came real close to eating it, big time. I've never had it happen on a tubeless type. I have no explanation of why it happened, I replaced the tire and tube after that, just because the failure shook me up pretty good. A 1981 CB900F.

I Swear-To-God, corndog, We are Identical Twins, born from different Mothers.

I had a (bought new) 1981 CB900F.
Previous bike (69 Triumph Bonnie) was bought 12 years before...
So the contrast was a Quantum leap.

Honda was so smooth, quicker&more power, Reliable, Brakes and suspension, secure.

That criteria was just about to get smacked silly, with the introduction of the GIXXR's though.

Back