2024 Investment Thread

afm199

Moto(s)
Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name
Mikezebub
Let's have at it! Please keep it civil. If someone is a brain dead, poop headed, incoherent asshat, please refer to them as "Honorable Sir or Madam, or whatever the case may be."

I'm entering the year long on cash, REIT's just picked up, a few bond funds, and VOO, SPY, VGT, VTV and others.

I expect more of 2023.

If interest rates actually come down I expect to see yet another equity explosion upward, with P/E's pushed to record highs.

Focusing on Roth IRA conversions.

We have one but now is the time for us to do more before Social Security kicks in September of 2026.

We'll focus on growth in the Roths as they grow tax free.

Might be lazy and just get the Vanguard Growth ETF which was up 21 percent last year for us within our current IRA.

Current Roth has been all Apple stock for at least a decade.

Focusing on Roth IRA conversions.

We have one but now is the time for us to do more before Social Security kicks in September of 2026.

We'll focus on growth in the Roths as they grow tax free.

Might be lazy and just get the Vanguard Growth ETF which was up 21 percent last year for us within our current IRA.

Current Roth has been all Apple stock for at least a decade.

I'm always nervous about any large single position, but hey, you took the chance are reaping the benefit.

I'm always nervous about any large single position, but hey, you took the chance are reaping the benefit.

Yes, I agree.

I have $200k in Apple myself I will be converting to Roth over 2 years and will likely put in the Vanguard fund I mentioned as at the moment Apple Represents 40 percent of our combined Roth IRA and Roth holdings! :wtf

But our IRAs only are 25 percent of our total investments, most of which is in Real Estate all generating rental income.

And deductions! :laughing

:afm199How do I buy into crypto? I'm not talking the stratospheric priced coins, but one that seems to be a dog. Oops. Gave it away there..... Here Doggy Doge.... Like a new puppy, this would be looked upon as a fun addition to our family. Except I have cats, not dogs.

I picked up some PLTR and AMD earlier this year, and am happy so far with their performance. Not enough to make a big difference in the overall scheme of our investment portfolio. PGEN, bought after listening to a Bloomberg radio show, is up 22% in the past couple of months. What will 2024 bring? I don't invest large percentages in anything, which I sometimes regret. Sometimes I don't.......

The only exception percentage-wise is my wife's Apple stock options, which didn't cost us anything but 12 months of her working career. I couldn't convince her to stay 48 months to fully vest; if I had I'd be on a beach inviting every one of you on BARF for Mai Tais on a regular basis. Oh well. C'est la vie!

Last edited:
I just rolled over a CD at over 5%. You can still get CD's at over 5% but you should get one soon if you want one before the feds start to loosen up the interest rates.

I bought crypto on Paypal, they have a setup that makes it easy.

That would be fantastic wouldn't it? SPY 500 2023 returns were what 23%. Bring it on in 2024!

I don't expect that as much as a year of major turmoil.

And I don't see SPY doing anywhere nearly as well.

Jim Cramer says bitcoin can't be killed and is here to stay, so...better throw everything at it.

That’s actually what I look for when investing, a reliable stock picker. Cramer is more the sort you’re better off doing opposite of his recommendations.

That’s actually what I look for when investing, a reliable stock picker. Cramer is more the sort you’re better off doing opposite of his recommendations.

He's right up there with Cathie Wood of ARKK fame. :laughing

So, is anyone here a multi-millionaire on paper after topping out or contributing to a 401k and others such as Traditional or Roth IRA for 25-30 yrs? Set it and forget it method?

So, is anyone here a multi-millionaire on paper after topping out or contributing to a 401k and others such as Traditional or Roth IRA for 25-30 yrs? Set it and forget it method?

No, when we retired in 2008 we only had accumulated a bit less than $600k as a couple despite starting our IRAs in 1976 or so.

That was due to the low limits that you could set aside in an IRA and the fact that we didn't have access to a matching 401k until 1998 or so with much higher limits.

Still glad we did it and obviously if we had access to a matching 401k for longer the amount would have been larger.

The maximum amount allowed as an IRA contribution was $1,500 from 1975 to 1981, $2,000 from 1982 to 2001, $3,000 from 2002 to 2004, $4,000 from 2005 to 2007, $5,000 from 2008 to 2012, $5,500 from 2013 to 2018, and $6,000 from 2019 to 2022.

I remember that during the Reagan administration, the 10 wealthiest families doubled their net worth and the majority of the population kept up with inflation.

I'm not even sure if that majority is doing that now.

This Christmas at a smallish vacation town airport I was at a few states over, the private hardware on the ramp was off the hook. Way more G650's and Global Expresses than I've ever seen there. On a rough count, I counted at least $1.5B in private aircraft on this small field.

The Rich have gotten VERY rich during the pandemic. Houses in the area have almost doubled in price in the last 4 years, which is to say, from 10-12M to 20-24M. Things have gotten clowney.

I bought crypto on Paypal, they have a setup that makes it easy.

Anyone trying the new Bitcoin ETFs? I bought a taste of IBIT yesterday. Doesn't get easier than that.

No, when we retired in 2008 we only had accumulated a bit less than $600k as a couple despite starting our IRAs in 1976 or so.

That was due to the low limits that you could set aside in an IRA and the fact that we didn't have access to a matching 401k until 1998 or so with much higher limits.

Still glad we did it and obviously if we had access to a matching 401k for longer the amount would have been larger.

Seems you made out pretty good.

Seems you made out pretty good.

Considering we have taken out $760,000 since 2016 and still have $450,000 in the IRA and $430,00 in Roth, yeah, it worked out much better than expected as we were in cash during the 2008/2009 crash.

Back