• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

2024 Investment Thread

Anybody here buys Treasury BILLS? Not taking about bonds.

I am trying to start a ladder of Treasury bills and want to compare what ppl are doing 1/3/6/9/12month etc

I'm happy to buy T bills at 3 and 6, currently won't buy under 5%. I've got a ladder dating out 18 months or so.

Pretty relieved I didn’t sell my Meta stock a year and a half ago when I was thinking about it.

Zuckerberg net worth increased by $30B today. I take a few days off if I had a week like that.

Tech sector seems to be getting a bit frothy.
NVDA keeps climbing without any announcements. I want to get in but ain’t getting a pullback opportunity. Got burned in the past by chasing the hot names.
Well burned in the short term but always held on so longterm they worked out but could have gotten some of them for much better prices.

Tech sector seems to be getting a bit frothy.
NVDA keeps climbing without any announcements. I want to get in but ain’t getting a pullback opportunity. Got burned in the past by chasing the hot names.
Well burned in the short term but always held on so longterm they worked out but could have gotten some of them for much better prices.

How timely. I just got back from a meeting with a guy from Edward Jones. We were chatting about stocks and he mentioned NVDA, and how they have it rated at hold (Not buy) because it's gone up so much and they need to start kicking out results (paraphrasing). He mentioned they are set to buy when/if it gets to 400 a share.

Looking at their 5yr chart, the to-the-moon boost from January 5th onward is off-putting. I don't like throwing fomo money at stuff.

Yeah, when he showed the stock to us, I said, "Seems like we missed the boat" and that's when he mentioned waiting for a possible dip. This was just a discussion about stocks in general. I do not own any individual stocks. As always, this thread is very interesting.

How timely. I just got back from a meeting with a guy from Edward Jones. We were chatting about stocks and he mentioned NVDA, and how they have it rated at hold (Not buy) because it's gone up so much and they need to start kicking out results (paraphrasing). He mentioned they are set to buy when/if it gets to 400 a share.

After almost 2 decades with Apple I moved all of it into SCHG.

That was pretty much my only ever successful stock buy; I'm sticking to funds now.

Never mind that SCHG blew away Apple last year and thus far this year.

I feel growth is good for the next year or so.

My wife still has kept all her Apple from day one 15+ years ago so we still have a bunch.

I've been selling some VOO, SPY, VGT, and VUG the last few days. I was super invested ( in terms of portfolio) in the S&P500 and decided to take a breather.

Been buying SCHV. Will take another look at SCHG. Bought some SCHD.

And I bought a put on SPY today at $504. Can't remember the last time I've done this. Puts are really cheap on the SPY right now, and I want some insurance. That shit is getting frothy.

Last edited:
I've been selling some VOO, SPY, VGT, and VUG the last few days. I was super invested ( in terms of portfolio) in the S&P500 and decided to take a breather.

Been buying SCHV. Will take another look at SCHG. Bought some SCHD.

And I bought a put on SPY today at $504. Can't remember the last time I've done this. Puts are really cheap on the SPY right now, and I want some insurance. That shit is getting frothy.

I have some dividend funds I combined into just one; DGRO.

Anybody here buys Treasury BILLS? Not taking about bonds.

I am trying to start a ladder of Treasury bills and want to compare what ppl are doing 1/3/6/9/12month etc

I’m almost finished setting up a bond ladder with a combination of T-bonds bought on secondary market staggered at 6 mo intervals starting 15 months out, going the end of 2026. Then three MYGAs maturing in 2027, 2028 and 2029.

MYGA (multi-year guaranteed annuity) functions pretty much the same as a CD, and most allow for withdrawals of the interest or in some cases up to 10% per year. The MYGAs at those durations were coming in around 5.5%, so better than any of the Treasury or CD options. Also, if you don’t withdraw anything you don’t book any interest income from them until they mature.

I’m definitely not a trader. Last time I bought and sold same stock within a 12 month period was over a decade ago.

I’m almost finished setting up a bond ladder with a combination of T-bonds bought on secondary market staggered at 6 mo intervals starting 15 months out, going the end of 2026. Then three MYGAs maturing in 2027, 2028 and 2029.

MYGA (multi-year guaranteed annuity) functions pretty much the same as a CD, and most allow for withdrawals of the interest or in some cases up to 10% per year. The MYGAs at those durations were coming in around 5.5%, so better than any of the Treasury or CD options. Also, if you don’t withdraw anything you don’t book any interest income from them until they mature.

Nicely done. Interesting on the MYGA's never thought of that.

I’m definitely not a trader. Last time I bought and sold same stock within a 12 month period was over a decade ago.

Impressive. Really impressive. I've got positions I've held for 20 years, but they are a minority.

The one that I truly laugh about is Apple, I bought it at $14 and sold it at $28 for a huge profit. :rofl

Off work today and idle so placed a limit order for NVDA at close to its close on Friday. For sure it’s going to drop this week after that. Added more MSFT also.
Was hovering over the ARM symbol but wasn’t brave enough to pull the trigger, will be watching it though.

The number of articles appearing that 401ks are on the chopping block is alarming to be honest.

They want to throw the baby out with the bathwater because only the "wealthy" take advantage of it.

In my 30 year career I only earned over $80k twice near the end of my career and starting the 401k 10 years before we retired was a godsend for us.

Yes we had started IRAs in the late 70s as a couple but the limits to contribute were very low unlike 401k. The "match" of one percent for the first three percent of income invested and then half a percent for the next two invested got a lot of blue collar types to invest as well.

But there were those that would only invest up to the match which is fine of course and still means less willing investors/savers found themselves saving.

I'm not sure that's bad for the country and there is a limit on income to contribute already they can just lower the current $334k limit by half or some such.

Sounds inevitable as both parties supposedly support it. From Bloomberg:

https://www.fa-mag.com/news/your-client-s-401-k--will-be-gone-within-a-decade-77009.html

401K plans kinda blow and need an overhaul. What’s with not being allowed to invest in individual stocks. They’re a bit of a scam with fund managers making a ton off them.

Nvidia reports later today, the most anticipated earnings report in a long time. Kinda like the superbowl.
Either the bubble bursts or those not in will be kicking themselves for not being in. Or something in between.

Back