• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Animated GIFS (NSFW images must be linked & labelled)

zCGAnZg.gif

As long as the tiger isn't yet 2 and I had been around it since it was a cub I'd have no problem with it. Something happens to big cats around the age of 2. They stop being kittens and become the fanged, sharp clawed assassins nature designed them to be.

As long as the tiger isn't yet 2 and I had been around it since it was a cub I'd have no problem with it. Something happens to big cats around the age of 2. They stop being kittens and become the fanged, sharp clawed assassins nature designed them to be.

They go from the communal, young, "need my mommy for food and security" mode to the lone predator they need to be. Mom knows to kick them out early, but they also get cranky and feel the need to get out.

Mommy tigers can fight back junior better than Mommy large animal handlers.

We were at the San Diego Safari Park, and they train the tigers to stand up next to a grate so they can be examined and what not. They reinforce the behavior with food, naturally. At the park, they have very little direct contact with the animals.

One of the visitors basically made a comment that he thought the tiger was tamed. It was striking because at that time, the handler was working the animal through it's routine, telling her to get up and go to different positions on the grate, etc., do it's different maneuvers, and you could hear the tiger snarl. "WOMEN! GIVE ME THE FOOD, I TIRE OF YOUR GAMES!" It was very sinister. The tiger was participating, but it wasn't enjoying it.

Tame, indeed.

My son and I got to spend the night at the SF zoo with his second grade class years ago (don't know if SF zoo still does this). I learned quite a bit about big cats during that trip. Got a full tour of the big cats as well as the Snow Leopards nearly one-on-one with zoo personnel. Learned the meaning of "crepuscular" and about big cats turning 2 years old among other things. Saw a Bengal pick up what looked like the hind quarter of a cow and from a standing position it jumped up and backward onto a perch about 10 feet above and away to its left. One of the most awesome feats I've seen an animal perform.

^^^^^

Can't decide whether that's gross or awesome.

Back