• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Budman Racing and Early Years HooliganTales

:laughing

OK Mr Literal. Give me a day.

The School is onto me

We had some on campus things happen that brought me into the view of Henry Page the Dean of Students.

Some stupid and some brazen.

Let's start with stupid.

Leaving football practice, my friend Kurt T climbed on the back of my RD to get a lift to his locker. He was clad in Gym shorts and tennis shoes. Stupid = part 1.

Part two was me...:laughing

I grabbed him and took a large arcing turn to the right accelerating of course because I had to be cool. Well when I went to turn left to go down the side car access by the class rooms I found my kickstand was down.. oh shit. :nchantr

The bike stood straight up and I was on the brakes hard. By the time I got to the bike racks I had slowed to about 10mph but hit one of those round ones creating an endo which flipped me over the bars in a summersalt. As I was upside down I saw a full on hurdling Kurt above me. As I smacked my bum into the ground I saw Kurt land on his feet and run it out never touching the ground. He was not our star running back for lack of skills. :laughing

Back to Henry Page.

Henry or Mr. Page as most kids called him was a 40 yo black belt in Judo that looked like the main star in Room 222 which was a hit show back then. Because of my Karate backround we had become very friendly and while the other kids who might get a visit for smoking weed on campus or cutting class called him Mr. Page I called him Henry and we discussed martial arts often. He was always checking in on tournements and such.

I oftened wheelied off campus by the football field and Henry had to do his job. So when cutting right by those same bike racks behind the library he flagged me down. I stopped and he said "Dennis. I need you to stop doing wheelies on campus. It just is not allowed and if you or someone else got hurt it would be a real problem."

Looking sad I said yes sir "Mr. Page".

He looked at me oddly because I said Mr Page and said "Look, I know you ride that you can ride that thing good and once you get through that gate (pointing at it beyond the football field) you can do all the wheelies you want".

I said "cool Henry. I will tone it down on campus" :teeth

He watched me roll by the field and as I got to the gate I looked back and he was still standing there watching so what does a teen hooligan do?

Of course blast a big wheelie all the way down Nelson Drive (same spot as the wheelie pic was taken in previous post) this time blowing right through the stop sign and paralleling the entire playing field. One of my better ones actually. :laughing

Next time I saw him he had some eyes on me and a smile. He said "Kobza... (I was uh oh!) Thanks for taking that off campus.... that was impressive".

I got a huge smile.. "Only off campus Henry!"

Great dude. Good times.

Attachments

• room 222.jpg
    room 222.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
Awesome story Bro. It's great to have mentors that understand.

Lol@ the Room 222 reference....

Kids today just won't understand. Any red headed kids with giant fro's? :laughing

Yup... dating myself! :afm199

And George W. would be that guy. :laughing

Although Mark B had a rocking blond one and at our class reunion 3 years ago he was still sporting it.. damn that dude looked young!

I used to have the biggest crush on Karen Valentine, and I got to tell her at a Pasadena deli in the early 80's.... and she didn't call the cops! :laughing

Mr. Page was very cool! :thumbup

This one is about MX Racing.. and one awesome woman.

My grandma was a wonderful woman.....
I would bring friends to crash on her floor and she would wake up early to cook us breakfast.

But that is another story.

Man I loved that woman.

Just saw the Sears Point MX muddy hill story. Good one. I didn't show it all again here. How long ago was that? Was the ISDE man Russ Powell?

The mud hill thing reminded me of the Cowbell Enduro in around 1970 when the course ran down into a little valley and was so steep and muddy dozens of guys couldn't get out. They had to leave bikes there for days or a week.

Last edited:
I don't know who the ISDE man was. All I know is he made the rest of us look silly.

I was there for this Cowbell, I was young and still learning, I didn't know how bad it was. It was just another muddy hill starting at the creek then up.
I'm glad I didn't have a 40" to drag out of there, just my Honda 90. I did finish, but over on time.
The finishers results were sent in a booklet I still have, with a cover shot of an old Bell helicopter, skids loaded with a couple of bikes dangling by their bars.:thumbup

That Sears Point Mx, was it part of a big three day (AMA?) race weekend with the natural hillside MX track, and a killer swap meet, & road racers ? That was an epic weekend too.

Last edited:
That Sears Point Mx, was it part of a big three day (AMA?) race weekend with the natural hillside MX track, and a killer swap meet, & road racers ? That was an epic weekend too.

I think you are referring to the 'Vintage motorcycle Days' gathering at Sears Point. VERY fun week of moto. Road racing, flat track, motocross, swap meet and always Hero's of racing like Dick Mann, etc.

I attended in the '90's and early 2000's.

Back