buttonwilow crash video

Passing mid corner does not have to be part of the track day experience. I've done almost 50 trackdays over the last 20 years, in the A and B groups and I've never had to pass anyone mid corner. If you're really faster than the guy you're overtaking, you don't need to stuff him late at the apex like that. You either make the pass earlier on the brakes or you get him on exit. The type of incident on video is unfortunately more common than it should be. Doesn't make it right. A little patience and common sense goes a long way toward not ruining both riders days.

He was set up to ride around the outside, not stuff him.

Yeah that really doesn't happen all that often when the riders skill levels are what was displayed. If it was mr hill or a few of the others on that level then yes but not the level we are seeing in the vid.

He caught him on the inside of the left kink, right on the rumble strips. Regardless of the fact that he was setting him up for an outside pass on the following right hander, he caught the rider on the inside of the left kink. Dumb, unnecessary pass and 100 percent the camera guy's fault. He should have either gotten the pass done before the kink on the brakes or out of the right hander.

Two bikes fuxored and one guy in the hospital for nothing.

u dont pass around the outside of turn 2, thats just dangerous. like i said earlier, the safest pass is up the inside on exit.

Passing mid corner does not have to be part of the track day experience. I've done almost 50 trackdays over the last 20 years, in the A and B groups and I've never had to pass anyone mid corner. If you're really faster than the guy you're overtaking, you don't need to stuff him late at the apex like that. You either make the pass earlier on the brakes or you get him on exit. The type of incident on video is unfortunately more common than it should be. Doesn't make it right. A little patience and common sense goes a long way toward not ruining both riders days.

really? not once? speed deltas in long and/or fast corners usually make it pretty damn ez to pass slower riders mid corner. turn 2 at Thill, Riverside & the Sweeper at Buttonwillow, turn 5 & 7 at Vegas, even 5-6 at Autoclub, etc etc. hell, a 10mph delta in Riverside means im going around the outside safely.

obviously, short corners are dramatically harder to pass on midcorner (partially cuz the corner is over so fast). but, passing midcorner doesnt imply that u "stuffed" the other rider; it can be done safely and with common courtesy.

maybe u r saying "never had to" meaning its happened, but u werent forced into it to get around the guy. :dunno

He should have either gotten the pass done before the kink on the brakes or out of the right hander.

the kink IS the braking marker :p so that only leaves one choice :thumbup

Last edited:
Pretty much. When you do track days you often run into guys who go really fast on the straights and really slow in the turns. Especially in B and C groups, but I've noticed it in A group as well.

Omg, I was at buttonwillow in C group and I got stuck behind so many slow ass 600s in the corners. They would also take the WIDEST racing line possible and leave no room to pass on the outside (no inside passing) and then they would rocket away in the straight, and I'd catch them at the next corner, it was seriously annoying. The only corners I could pass people in were the sweepers since they wouldn't hug the outside in those

This guy wasn't one of the slow corner offenders but it shows the only place I could figure out how to pass people

youtu.be/k3fNltkSzXA

I found myself thinking man I wish I had a 600 so I could pass these guys but then I later thought about it and decided it would be better if I didn't have a bandaid to cover up my lack of cornering skills.

On to learning how to carry more speed, pass on the outside, brake later and down shift while braking

That last one is damn hard.

u dont pass around the outside of turn 2, thats just dangerous. like i said earlier, the safest pass is up the inside on exit.

really? not once? speed deltas in long and/or fast corners usually make it pretty damn ez to pass slower riders mid corner. turn 2 at Thill, Riverside & the Sweeper at Buttonwillow, turn 5 & 7 at Vegas, even 5-6 at Autoclub, etc etc. hell, a 10mph delta in Riverside means im going around the outside safely.

obviously, short corners are dramatically harder to pass on midcorner (partially cuz the corner is over so fast). but, passing midcorner doesnt imply that u "stuffed" the other rider; it can be done safely and with common courtesy.

maybe u r saying "never had to" meaning its happened, but u werent forced into it to get around the guy. :dunno

the kink IS the braking marker :p so that only leaves one choice :thumbup

I'm saying never had to, because it's a track day and there's just no need. Truth be told I have passed some slower riders in the carousel at Sears, but I did so when they were way inside and I was way outside, and it was at a point when I had no business being in C group anymore.

Even when I've been one of the slower guys in A group, I've rarely ever been passed mid corner. Not that I care when it happens, because I'm nothing if not predictable, but I've found most riders that want to pass me get it done either in the braking zone or on exit.

Honestly, if someone's able to cruise past a rider mid corner with ease, someone's in the wrong group. As a rider on track, I try to be both self aware of my riding but also make note of other riders. If I sense someone is too slow for the group, I give them an even wider berth and make an even safer pass than I might on a faster rider.

There is no way to defend what the camera guy did in that crash. Sure it's a risk we all take when we go to the track, but it's ridiculous for that guy to be blaming anyone but himself for that crash.

Omg, I was at buttonwillow in C group and I got stuck behind so many slow ass 600s in the corners. They would also take the WIDEST racing line possible and leave no room to pass on the outside (no inside passing) and then they would rocket away in the straight, and I'd catch them at the next corner, it was seriously annoying. The only corners I could pass people in were the sweepers since they wouldn't hug the outside in those

You need to learn to set them up for a slingshot pass on exit. Do it on exit from a corner that will lead to an opposing apex, so your line will essentially become an outside pass right after you make it.

600's often face the same challenge with certain literbike riders.

I didn't say anything about mid corner passes.

Just that "I'm only gonna pass on the straights" is a completely unrealistic expectation.

even in C group, the disparity between complete noobs and somebody that should maybe stop sandbagging and bump up allows for easy enough passes around the outside.

I don't know anyone involved, but my thoughts go out to the rider that's injured.

*edited*

Last edited:
Back