• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Collect and Grow Succulents/Cactus?

Melissa

Peace,Love and Harmony
Moto(s)
sold all of my Honda's
I am an avid fan of growing succulents and cacti and was wondering if anyone on the board has the same interest. I'd love to exchange babies too.

They’re really about the only plants which survive our “care.”

exactly.
Great looking creations that are hard to kill although I have lost many to over/under watering and mealy bug infestation.

Absolutely no expert, but felt like passive direct sunlight kept my cacti alive, and hastened their death when less available, post move.

edit: I.E. had a neglicted cacti in in a south facing window bay, that thrived with minimal care, but died less than a year after moving to an east facing window bay environment.

[youtube]rBTMzb3Z3CA[/youtube]

Last edited:
They’re really about the only plants which survive our “care.”
This explains exactly how it goes for my wife. She basically has a brown thumb. She can kill just about anything. The cactus plants are the only ones to survive for a few years. :laughing

They are easy to non care whoops I forgot about that one. Weather is shifting now and I am once again hoping that we do not hit freezing temps. If we do out here in West Sacto I'm sure I'll lose s'more.

well the downpour has left my fauna and flora in some deep ass water. Even the bird feeder tipped over.

Lots of this in Morro Bay, everybody swapping "babies", seems they are hard to kill there too.
Then I go where the saguaros live, no "baby swapping" there.

but they do make my heart happier to be amongst them.

Attachments

• Front of house.jpg
    Front of house.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I love cacti and succulents. Have a ton of them. I love plants in general. I give cuttings away by the bagful when I prune and have made some really interesting arrangements (I do some flower arranging) etc. with them--they're all so interesting. Whenever I add a new plant, drought tolerance is always on my mind and I love pairing non-traditional things together. I am pretty shady in my yard, so texture and structure rather than flowers are critical... succulents/cacti are perfect for this. I'll try to remember to snap a couple of shots of the yard. It's not great, but I have a lot of fun in it.

most excellent! There are others who share interests. I have those huge paddle plants growing near my bedroom and living room windows. They are growing at exponential rates!
Heather-I'd love to see your garden!

Was looking for these big platter size round ones.
Found this yard in Los Osos close to the Back Bay
It seems too easy to grow here, get it started, and ten years later, huge.

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 25
Was looking for these big platter size round ones.
Found this yard in Los Osos close to the Back Bay
It seems too easy to grow here, get it started, and ten years later, huge.

I have a few of the giants. Let’s see if I can get some cuttings to folks.

Last nite I remembered my time in the desert last year when I got my ocotillo to green up and bloom.
And, all the blossoms on a prickly pear, that formed a year or so earlier but lacked water to bloom then, were released to bloom.
All this is waiting for me next month in Az.

But here in Morro,

Lolo's Mex restaurant,

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Those two bushes in my yard had buds starting when I got here on the 8th.

I didn't know when they were going to bloom,

now I do, , ,

Ma nature has thrown the gauntlet,
Winter '21/'22 bloom fest is on

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpg
    IMG_3720.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3721.jpg
    IMG_3721.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 22
beautiful jade flowers! The first pic looks like gollum jade.
When I learn how to take a picture and put it on BARF I will show you mine.
Enjoy the day!

A pix from last year,
Saguaro have popped only one blossom at a time, that I've seen in 15 years.
Reminds me of a woman with a flower tucked behind an ear. I do dress up my saguaro in camp with a lawn lite tucked into the needles, a lit, night bloom replica.

This crown of flowers happened out in the open desert, no cactus in camp did this. Not all of them had crowns, and no single flowers.

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 19
Back