• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Collect and Grow Succulents/Cactus?

It's spring already

My octo is greening up, almost all branches have leaves now.

Both paddles and the cholla are sportin' soon to open blossoms
This paddle had 0 nubs when I got here, now two are open, #3 on the way, tomorrow?

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 15
I love it when they flower-truly magnificent. My paddles are producing fruit that I find unedible-too many seeds. Maybe my paddle is a prickly pear?

There's something (s) eating my succs. All of my String of Dolphins are gone, down to the nub. Came home yesterday to find my Fishhook plant down to nubs. Maybe thirsty squirrels or rats? Who knows but they are being decimated by wild life.

I hate to be that guy, but I'm a biologist and can't help it.

Just make sure you get your succulents and cacti from a reputable place. There is a huge market for illegally collected succulents and it is a massive issue.

I purchase from reputable places as far as I know or trade babies with other growers. Hope I am doing it right.

How many bees will fit into a paddle bloom?

:afm199 have counted 8.

A bloom will last a day, folds up at night. This year the blooms are spacing out, not all at once, like last year.

Looks like a cage match rumble, so many bees trying to get in, all digging down into the repo bits to pollinate.
All those days of only getting a drink, now water and nectar. :party

No Road Runners yet, more woodpeckers around now, and well behaved.

Last edited:
One of my wife's succulents is blooming.

AIkChrqh.jpg

And one of her strings of hearts has little blossoms as well!

My yard, paddle blooms are dwindling, ocotillo greened up with the red blossoms starting to show,

My spring has sprung, , ,

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 20
You got the reference! :laughing

Here is one of the flowers on Mrs Abacinator's string of hearts

odDSgnih.jpg

I have two prickly pear cacti I used for a science experiment in 5th grade (I got 2nd place :p). They're still going strong. Outside of repotting once, I literally don't do anything to them. We get enough rain to keep them happy.

These plants are some of the oldest things I still own.

Last edited:
Beautiful cacti!
This time of the year lots of flowering masses emerge.

There are squirrels eating my succs and I hear that placing vinegar in the soil might work but I'm not certain. Anyone have any ideas about how to keeo those pesky nibblers away?

The grand opening, sometime last nite.
Owners are gone, until next year,
Palo Verdes are starting to bloom too

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 15
Last post from Hope,

I present the "Smoke Tree"
I've seen the term in Havasu, as a street name.
Process of elimination, didn't work over the years, for I didn't stay late enough into summer to experience it. Only two trees out here, Palo Verde and Ironwood.
Not until '19 when I went to Az bike week, and caught the bloom in Scottsdale.

Those small lavender flowers from a distance look to be light grey, smoke colored, Ironwood.

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 13
Man! I had some ephedra that really took off when I was living in Southern Illinois. It didn't survive my move out here, and I haven't been able to get it going since.

Back