• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

62 degrees is shorts, short sleeve jersey and sleeveless base layer. Maybe a set of leg warmers first thing in the morning.

Weather down here has been comparable, 45F at 8AM, low 60s by 1pm. I'll probably be wearing a mesh baselayer, a spring jersey, sun sleeves, summer MTB gloves, and a vest. I'll probably pocket the vest after the first long descent and be good til the end. I really doubt I'll be wearing leg warmers or a fall long-sleeve jersey.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I have been lucky enough to come down with a head cold this week. Ughhhh. I think I'm going to be ok to ride saturday but my expectations have sunk even lower. Oh well.

My bib number is 569. I will be in wave 2. Hope to see ya there.

62 degrees is shorts, short sleeve jersey and sleeveless base layer. Maybe a set of leg warmers first thing in the morning.

Revised forecast says a high of 54 and cloudy on saturday. 72 and sunny on friday of course :/ I'm stressing about being cold again. Just ride harder? :laughing

Can anyone recommend a southbay shop to do a tuneup/once over on a road bike?

It's been years since it's been ridden and i'd like to change that. I am in no way a hard core rider. Just casual rides.

thanks!

Revised forecast says a high of 54 and cloudy on saturday. 72 and sunny on friday of course :/ I'm stressing about being cold again. Just ride harder? :laughing

I now think I'll be wearing a fall jersey on Sat and the spring jersey with sunsleeves on Fri. I'll make a decision about leg warmers Sat morning.

Shitty about getting sick. Feel better quick!

Im #282, wave 1. Hooray less traffic!

I'm racing the Huffmaster Grasshopper gravel race at the end of the month.

It will be my first gravel race. 88.8 miles out of Maxwell. I am hoping that the 88 miles transports me "Back to the Future" when my FTP was 7 W/kg.

Cobbler Update:

I didn't die! I didn't get run over by a bull! I finished. This event is crazy. It was really hard. I'm humbled for sure. I had a lot of doubt during the ride that I could finish it. I'm proud of myself for hanging in there and making the distance. I need to ride my bike more. :laughing I'm glad I got to shake Robert's hand at the starting line and major hats off to anyone who tries this event. It's really special. I found a clip of myself at 2:53-2:57 Right before it got MUDDY!!

[youtube]nlbMyAeDE08[/youtube]

Attachments

• cobbler time.jpg
    cobbler time.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 22
  • cobbler finish.jpg
    cobbler finish.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Robert- I just saw you tell JOM that you're out:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/Pru6rGZFICs[/YOUTUBE]

(It's at the 4:20 mark)

Huffmaster was a epic 6 hours and 88 miles of mud.

Not me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 101209-100204-9039.jpg
    101209-100204-9039.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
For future reference, what did I get wrong in posting the uTube video?

When embedding YouTube videos delete everything preceding the third slash including the third slash. I know it's not intuitive but its what the BARF bulletin board software allows.

For the video you posted, the url is: http://youtu.be/Pru6rGZFICs

Delete: http://youtu.be/

Keep: Pru6rGZFICs between the YouTube tags

And thanks to everyone who posted videos and photos from their races.

Last edited:
Robert- I just saw you tell JOM that you're out:

(It's at the 4:20 mark)

Ha, i was wondering if that was going to end up on YT. Thnx for finding it.

Ya i crashed on a descent at 32mph (GPS) and mildly separated my shoulder. I rode about a mile to that aid station after the crash and couldn't pull the left brake or descend safely. I also cracked my helmet a little bit. It's not my first DNF out of a race, but hopefully it's my last.

I started rehab-ing the shoulder a few days ago. It still hurts, but range of motion is back. I predict it'll be good enough for longer road miles or limited dirt miles in a week or two.

So I did the Strada Rossa in Redlands today. I opted for the 64 mile course, but thanks to poor turn markings and some shitty navigation on my part I did over 69 miles.

Jeebus, that course is hard. I mean, really, painfully hard.

Thanks to some serious cramping that started about mile 20 and plagued me for the next 50 miles, I had to walk all the steeper climbs, helping to contribute to my 8 hours and 13 minutes rolling time.

If not for that I'm sure I could have shaved at least an hour, but 7 hours in the saddle is still a long day.

So I did the Strada Rossa in Redlands today. I opted for the 64 mile course, but thanks to poor turn markings and some shitty navigation on my part I did over 69 miles.

Jeebus, that course is hard. I mean, really, painfully hard.

Thanks to some serious cramping that started about mile 20 and plagued me for the next 50 miles, I had to walk all the steeper climbs, helping to contribute to my 8 hours and 13 minutes rolling time.

If not for that I'm sure I could have shaved at least an hour, but 7 hours in the saddle is still a long day.

Type 2 fun, nice :thumbup

That race was on my radar but I never bothered. Was the course fun aside from the pain? How was the dirt around Yucaipa? My sister-in-law lives right there and Ive been tempted to take my gravel bike when visiting.

Last edited:
Thanks to the rain we've been experiencing, the dirt (almost entirely DG) was freaking perfect.

Now, as you might expect, a fair chunk of the course was basically just dirt roads through open land used mostly for dumping old couches and the like, but there was a ton of really fun singletrack, too.

The course was a lot of work- but I'll be back to hit it again next year.

Back