• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Gas Prices

Gas was nearly as expensive in Oregon and Washington when we went to the Ridge for a track day about a month ago. While we pay just a bit more, it is no longer just a Cali issues.
DT
 
Before it got THIS insane I stopped by Costco in Santa Cruz and it was like $7/gal when in San Jose it was like $1 cheaper. Crazy.
 
Before it got THIS insane I stopped by Costco in Santa Cruz and it was like $7/gal when in San Jose it was like $1 cheaper. Crazy.
I buy gas here about once a month and I haven't seen prices that high yet. Even at the 76 station around the corner from me. :wow
 
an electric bike that commands a $10k premium over gas counterpart would break even after 2.5 years with gas at $20/gallon, or 8 years at $5/gallon, riding 10k miles per year
 
Where to? Verdi or Reno or where?

Reno's gasoline comes from CA.

It is cheaper in Fernley and in Carson City. Also a little cheaper in Sun Valley, NV (right next to Reno).

-Don- Auburn, CA

I'm lazy, I just hit gold ranch even though it's not the cheapest in reno, it's the closest and way cheaper than Truckee. Plus anything else I do in Reno, I'm passing by it on the way home anyway
 
I just hit gold ranch even
BTW, what is that stuff that is called gasoline?

When you're there at Gold Ranch, if you see a motorcycle charging at the free to use Tesla Destination Charge Stations, behind Sierra Cafe at Gold Ranch, come in and say hello. I will be inside pigging out in the restaurant. I usually stop there on way between my houses (Auburn & Reno) in either direction.

I am also sometimes recharging up at the Truckee Tahoe Airport. Most likely on my Zero DSR/X but that is only one of my seven electric motorcycles.

Click on the photo in the links above and then you will see several of my electric motorcycles.

-Don- Auburn, CA
 
an electric bike that commands a $10k premium over gas counterpart would break even after 2.5 years with gas at $20/gallon, or 8 years at $5/gallon, riding 10k miles per year
I own nine EVs, seven are motorcycles and two are EV cars. I never bought any of them to save money. I just like the way the endless torque works in the hills. I cannot even tell when I am going uphill at any RPM. And downhill, remove my brake pads and I would not notice much, if any difference.

-Don- Auburn, CA
 
there you go...a bike that pays for itself within 3-5 years! the breakeven shifts considerably if you are looking at spending the same amount on electric vs gas
 
I have the good fortune that my car requires Premium
All my cars run well on the cheapest electrons I can find. I have done 300-mile rides on free charging.

There are countless free-to-use EV charge stations in NV. And a few in CA . But when the older ones break down, the norm is they are never fixed because there is no money in it. EV charging is getting worse instead of better in many areas, especially in NV.

And even in CA the norm is to group them all together in places such as the Sacramento area.

But there are a few free to use ones out in the very middle of nowhere, that are ran by solar. Such as here in the CA Sierras.

And here in NV:

1790806503736.png


-Don- Auburn, CA
 
I ain't got time for charging, and have no desire to "plan" rides around range or charges.

When I go joy ride, I go fast, hard and non stop. First fill at 200 miles, then keep going.

Hell, about 10% of my spontaneous joy rides I don't manage gasoline well and start having range anxiety looking for gas in the boonies, haven't run dry yet but holy cow do I have angels looking out for me on that.
Gasoline is everywhere I want to be, and even if elections get the same dispersion, the wait time still kills it for me.
Now hot swapping battery packs in a couple of minutes could change that, but I understand that is an unlikely or at least far away idea.

Maybe when I slow down I'll appreciate charging time, but not yet.
 
Back
Top