• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Let's hope this thread is short on Bay Area Fire Season

We're having our second quasi-scare of the season right now, but should be fine. The way they attack fires early is so different from what it was just five years ago. Easy to talk shit about California, but our fire fighting systems are so good these days.
Evidently the cameras are manned by AI to get a jump on fires in remote places.

Fingers crossed our belief that our early alert system and tactics are far improved is borne out.

It's far, far cheaper to hit a fire very hard early than try to fight it later after it's grown.
Much smarter to use the resources fast and early, we're learning from the experiences of the last 5-10 years.

Evidently the cameras are manned by AI to get a jump on fires in remote places.

Fingers crossed our belief that our early alert system and tactics are far improved is borne out.
I didn't know that, but now that you mention it, I see pics from what looks like remote monitoring systems all the time on Yubanet.

I think that the data on the site I posted up above utilizes satellite data, and that could definitely be automatically monitored.

With the ever advancing tech around image and video analysis I am certain it would be possible either via satellite imagery or even automated cameras on existing fire lookouts to detect and flag to human review anything that might be an indication of a fire starting.

I didn't know that, but now that you mention it, I see pics from what looks like remote monitoring systems all the time on Yubanet.
Here's just one system.

I think in another thread I mentioned my homeowners will be canceled as of May next year despite this neighborhood never burning and us never having a claim.

Just got a FAIIR plan quote for just the fire portion.

We were paying $2500 with State Farm for full coverage, the FAIR Plan fire coverage alone is $4700 and the broker says to qualify for the liability coverage to fill in the gaps would require our hose have ALL water supply lines replaced which is ridiculous.

I've asked for an explanation but not heard back.

Looking more and more like we will self insure, but many don't have that option.

Looks like all fires are currently dealt with in the state.
But, we're looking like at least 2 weeks of 100+ temps in the central valley, things are going to be hot and dry!

There are two fires near me in Southern Oregon right now. One is about 15 miles as the crow flies. I was looking at the horizon while on my walk and saw things were a bit hazy. There is no smell of smoke yet, and apparently, the response was aggressive including air support, so I am optimistic crews will be able to contain it.

I see that fire up in Oregon, just across the border from California about 15 miles southwest of Medford.

I think in another thread I mentioned my homeowners will be canceled as of May next year despite this neighborhood never burning and us never having a claim.

We were paying $2500 with State Farm for full coverage, the FAIR Plan fire coverage alone is $4700 and the broker says to qualify for the liability coverage to fill in the gaps would require our hose have ALL water supply lines replaced which is ridiculous.

Looking more and more like we will self insure, but many don't have that option.
Was that $2500/mo or year? It's in that weird zone where it's hard to tell if you had an amazing deal, or a really bad one lol.

I saw a bunch of fire trucks on 108 east of Strawberry. I don't see a CalFire incident though so I hope they got it dealt with before it grew.

I hate this drone pilot. So much. I hope they find and fine the fuck out of whoever caused air support to be grounded yesterday. What a bellend.

On a less grumpy note, neighboring counties have sent support and I always love seeing fire trucks from out of town roll through.

The downward wind speed under a heli is like a hundred miles an hour. Just fly over it. Or, birdshot the fkn thing. Whatever you do, don't stop fighting a fire because of it.

am curious if you’ve heard anything further. and also, when you say ‘liability coverage to fill the gaps’, do you mean the basic non-fire portion of property insurance? if that’s the case, have you had an issue with water damage from water lines previously? doesn’t make any sense that it would factor into fire insurance. even if you don’t have a hydrant within a thousand feet (the insurance cutoff), responding agencies don’t rely on private water sources, including wells. they send engines with tanks. your local jurisdiction most certainly has engine types to match what they would expect to encounter in their local area. incident + location = what engine type (and corresponding tank capacity) they dispatch.

Back