• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Let's hope this thread is short on Bay Area Fire Season

am curious if you’ve heard anything further. and also, when you say ‘liability coverage to fill the gaps’, do you mean the basic non-fire portion of property insurance? if that’s the case, have you had an issue with water damage from water lines previously? doesn’t make any sense that it would factor into fire insurance. even if you don’t have a hydrant within a thousand feet (the insurance cutoff), responding agencies don’t rely on private water sources, including wells. they send engines with tanks. your local jurisdiction most certainly has engine types to match what they would expect to encounter in their local area. incident + location = what engine type (and corresponding tank capacity) they dispatch.
In CA, all new homes are required to have fire sprinklers. I wonder if the requirement is somehow related to that. Guessing his home may not have sprinklers unless they were retrofitted for some reason, but can easily see an insurance company “thinking” along that line anyway.

The downward wind speed under a heli is like a hundred miles an hour. Just fly over it. Or, birdshot the fkn thing. Whatever you do, don't stop fighting a fire because of it.
yeah - zero chances taken with helos. serious crime to interfere. no air to air combat though. more like arrest, and financial and potential criminal liability for any and all consequences. think you can’t be found? think again. the granularity of the overwatch would make your head spin.

In CA, all new homes are required to have fire sprinklers. I wonder if the requirement is somehow related to that. Guessing his home may not have sprinklers unless they were retrofitted for some reason, but can easily see an insurance company “thinking” along that line anyway.
as far as i am aware, that only applies to new construction or remodeling over a specific square footage.

that said, in my experience, as fucked up as things are in CA at this time (admittedly), insurance companies frequently reach beyond what they are entitled to prescribe. there’s a degree of needing to call them on their bullshit. falls into sort-of-a ‘know your rights’ situation.

I hate this drone pilot. So much. I hope they find and fine the fuck out of whoever caused air support to be grounded yesterday. What a bellend.

On a less grumpy note, neighboring counties have sent support and I always love seeing fire trucks from out of town roll through.
love the appreciation. we are hell and gone from the coast, but we sent our chief + crews to the point fire (plus others down south). only fair, when we had our big fire (80,000 acres), mutual aid was amazing. 3,600 fire fighters. they saved our itty bitty mountain town. forever grateful.

love the appreciation. we are hell and gone from the coast, but we sent our chief + crews to the point fire (plus others down south). only fair, when we had our big fire (80,000 acres), mutual aid was amazing. 3,600 fire fighters. they saved our itty bitty mountain town. forever grateful.
i was in your town on sunday. it's adorable. definitely a magical spot.

i remember rolling through cedarville, ca, a few years ago and seeing crews there from elsewhere or rolling through other spots and seeing crews and trucks from out of state. i think it's great when we all work together.

i was in your town on sunday. it's adorable. definitely a magical spot.

i remember rolling through cedarville, ca, a few years ago and seeing crews there from elsewhere or rolling through other spots and seeing crews and trucks from out of state. i think it's great when we all work together.
holy shit babe! next time you’re here, let me know. we’ve never met, but would LOVE to meet you! also have very comfy accommodations if you need a place to stay.

holy shit babe! next time you’re here, let me know. we’ve never met, but would LOVE to meet you! also have very comfy accommodations if you need a place to stay.
wow, that is a very kind offer, and given that Iowa Hill Road is my new favorite road, this may well happen. i would like to meet you, too. i recently met @WoodsChick after years of chatting and was so happy we finally connected.

i had a sandwich at the supermarket in town and checked out the view for a while. i can see where the fire devastated the hills nearby. scary, scary stuff indeed.

wow, that is a very kind offer, and given that Iowa Hill Road is my new favorite road, this may well happen. i would like to meet you, too. i recently met @WoodsChick after years of chatting and was so happy we finally connected.

i had a sandwich at the supermarket in town and checked out the view for a while. i can see where the fire devastated the hills nearby. scary, scary stuff indeed.
yeah - worton’s. great view from there. much more devastation than is even visible from there. fire made a canyon run up the middle fork. we dodged a bullet for sure. thanks in no small part to the absolutely amazing ability of cal fire and the multiple fire protection agencies that came to our rescue. it was truly a miracle what they did. gratitude doesn’t even begin to describe how it feels.

am curious if you’ve heard anything further. and also, when you say ‘liability coverage to fill the gaps’, do you mean the basic non-fire portion of property insurance? if that’s the case, have you had an issue with water damage from water lines previously? doesn’t make any sense that it would factor into fire insurance. even if you don’t have a hydrant within a thousand feet (the insurance cutoff), responding agencies don’t rely on private water sources, including wells. they send engines with tanks. your local jurisdiction most certainly has engine types to match what they would expect to encounter in their local area. incident + location = what engine type (and corresponding tank capacity) they dispatch.
Never had a problem, but yes, it is coverage for everything but fire.

Here is the company they quoted me and the coverage.

Here is the e'mail I got from the broker. Basically they don't want to insure anyone is my take.

Here is what is needed for the Mercury DIC part:

copies of the following documents:
1) Invoices, permits, or reports from a licensed professional confirming the roof, plumbing (hot and cold pressurized lines must have been re-piped for the whole home), and electrical panel have been replaced, 2) Photos of the front of the home and the back of the home, including a view of the roof (from the ground), the yards, and any other structures, photos of all electrical panels, photos of the water heater and under the kitchen and all bathroom sinks, 3) Proof of repairs for all claims that have occurred since closing. Regarding the electrical panel: Zinsco (including Zinsco style panels produced under the Magnetrip, Sylvania, and Challenger names) and Stab-Lok electrical panels are ineligible and must be replaced to be eligible.

Must be a house from the 2-prong era?
Yes, but we have modern electrical panels.

Clearly they have no interest in covering our one story house where any catastrophic water leaks would result in water in the crawlspace not pouring through a second story floor.

Maybe a trapped moisture -> mold concern, but ours is the the same, the amount of physical damage a leak could do is pretty finite, the mold part aside.

I hate this drone pilot. So much. I hope they find and fine the fuck out of whoever caused air support to be grounded yesterday. What a bellend.

On a less grumpy note, neighboring counties have sent support and I always love seeing fire trucks from out of town roll through.
To me, I think they should legalize shooting down drones that are used in this manner.

I think it should also be legal to beat the hell out of assholes who endanger others with this kind of stupid shit.

This guy will likely post his drone footage, sue the fuck out of him and bill him for all of the additional damage that his actions caused.

In Idaho a few years ago they had some knob who thought he was helping get on US Forest Service radio frequencies and interfere. The FCC came down on him hard, $34,000 fine.

Hopefully FAA does the same with interfering drone pilots.

I tried to file a complaint once with the FAA and they seemed like an utter joke, like the FAA is really just a guy in his mom's basement doing whatever he can between gaming sesh's.

New fire up near Oroville.

We have one down near Fresno to the east by about 15 miles.

Oroville one blew up in an hour.

All the best to the front liners with CalFire.

:banana

They have a line all the way around the Upper Applegate Fire. Temps are cooling down the next few days. I hope that helps them get this extinguished.

Back