(Mostly) kitchen knives free hand sharpening videos

Buck 110 Folding Hunter + Spyderco “Double Stuff” pocket stone,And knife sharpness demo BS

(Not a kitchen knife. However, it can perform kitchen knife duty out in the field, or backyard.)

youtu.be/E5FR_lmsZ0Q

A little bit of Buck 110 Folding Hunter's over view.
A little bit of sharpening with Spyderco "Double Stuff".
(One of the most useful pocket stone out there, IF you know how to use them.)
And, a little bit about knife sharpness demo BS on youtube...

(Just because the knife can cut copy paper , news paper, or it can do hair whittling DOESN'T mean the knife can CUT.)

As for Buck110 Folding Hunter...

Is it worth purchasing?
Yes.
Even though it's 1960's design virtually unchanged (therefore, it doesn't have any trendy, high-speed, low-drag, tacti-cool features, such as one-hand opening . closing), it is worth getting one.

And why Buck went from 440C to 420HC?
(Which, on paper, looks like downgrade. But it is NOT.)

No, Buck didn't do it to cut down the material cost, charging the same price, thus increasing profit margin.
They did it because 440C was pretty difficult / time consuming to sharpen, for the end user.

With 420HC + BOS hear treatment, now 110 is a joy to use AND sharpen.

It's all about "actually using a knife in the filed".

Yanagiba mod ! (part one)

youtu.be/ArYaOZR9wvM

This is my first honyaki(white #2), by Masamoto.
(I think I bought this in 2008 or 2009 …)

This knife has been used really hard.

As a result, the shape is getting a little bit off.

(The point is getting too high.
At this stage, the overall length of the blade should be shorter.
The list goes on and on …)

So, I decided to modify the tip, turning this into “Kiritsuke – yanagi”.

Tools of the trade

Towel

Safety glasses
(Oakley Si-M frame 3.0, I have two pairs, one black , one multi-cam)

2x4

sharpie

Dremel 8220 (cordless)

And cutting wheel

Trigger clamp

Every time I see this thread title come up I think, Sweet - Barfer is offering free knife sharpening service! :p

youtu.be/toNgwKvOUBo

In the world full of high-speed low-drag modern tacti-cool folders,
Is Buck 110 totally obsolete?

Well, you decide.

This type of auto-deploy sheath is nothing new.
Ted Blocker Holsters used to make this back in the 80s.
It is originally meant to be worn on small of the back, on your belt.
But, it’s too awkward to put the knife back into the sheath.
Also, if you are wearing baggy pants, the tip of the blade
may catch your pants material.

Auto-deploy (quick draw) sheath made by
Adam McInerney, Agrarian Crafts, Burlingame, California

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AgrarianCra...

Support your local business

BTW, you understand that I made this video as a joke, right?
DON’T go walking on the street with this shoulder rig set up with shirt / jacket on, covering up your knife.

free image host

I carry both these in my bag triangle sharpener is handy you can get diamond rods for it ,I never let my knifes get that messed up I need to take a diamond rod to it

The ceramic sharpening rod put a nice edge on the knife,but if you drop it..may buy a new one or be good with a hot glue gun

Not a kitchen knife, but I use Endura for food prep from time to time.

youtu.be/AXf9XOURyN8

https://youtu.be/AXf9XOURyN8

TNP Endura, #373 of 1009

I am neither a Nutnfancy fanboy, nor a collector.
I bought this Endura as a user knife.

So, I did what I had to do.
Adding lanyard and rolled up towel and strawberry cutting test.
(Zip-tie mod is, not something I'd do all the time.
But, since this is "TNP" Endura, I decided to do so.)

https://youtu.be/WHbOOEe_Bi8

youtu.be/WHbOOEe_Bi8

The most important thing in Yanagiba sharpening (that no one really mentions, outside of Japan)

No music, no color grading, no cinematic intro.
Right to the point, what is the most important thing in Yanagiba (or, all chisel grind knives, for that matter).

The most important things is, to keep the backside straight and flat.
Straight & flat meaning, no back bevel, no convex grind on the back side.
This logic applies to all single beveled knives.

Thanks for posting your vids. I have enjoyed them. It's kinda funny how sharpening my knives reminds me of my father who passed away a few years ago. When I was young, I used to watch him slowly sharpen all of the knives in the house. He seemed to get some emotional therapy out of doing it. Now that I'm older, I fully understand how therapeutic it can be.

Thanks for posting your vids. I have enjoyed them. It's kinda funny how sharpening my knives reminds me of my father who passed away a few years ago. When I was young, I used to watch him slowly sharpen all of the knives in the house. He seemed to get some emotional therapy out of doing it. Now that I'm older, I fully understand how therapeutic it can be.

I agree. Except for me it was my grandfather. He sharpened everything and I still have feint big scar on thumb when he taught me to whittle as a kid. Kitchen knives, odd knives he collected from stores or the war, all super sharp. I even have recollection of tiny souvenir knife from Knott's Berry Farm that had an amazing 1" edge on it :rofl

I have yet to tackle my good kitchen knives, slowly working up the courage.

Just do it. It’s surprisingly hard to mess up especially after watching all the vids in this thread.

The funny thing is that sharpening my own knives really made me hate serrated knives. :teeth

Thanks everyone, for the nice comment(s).

youtu.be/IVfZ39oYkCg

https://youtu.be/IVfZ39oYkCg

Cutting demonstration of my working knives, before and after sharpening

If you are a REAL knife user(Chef, hunter, fisherman, mountain guide, soldier, LEO whatever),
DON'T be fooled by a paper cutting test.

I'll go into more details later, but even by just watching this video, you can tell that
blade profile (shape) & length matter, just as well as the edge sharpness and edge geometry.

The "edge sharpness" isn't everything.
The "edge geometry" and "the thinness behind the edge" are only a part of the picture.

If you are curious, look how my arm(and the bloade move as I cut into a rolled up towel.
(Particularly, Shibata Kotetsu and Emerson Tiger.)

The funny thing is that sharpening my own knives really made me hate serrated knives. :teeth

That's the case with most everyone.
Generally speaking, when people say that they dislike serrated blade, recurved blade, chisel grind blade, that dislike feeling comes from the sharpening difficulties.

(Actually, sharpening those blades aren't that difficult, technically speaking.
BUT, sharpening those "unusual" blades is definitely not as straight forward as regular, v-grind, plain straight edged knives.

Back