• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Other obsessions?

Dirt biking has taken over from street riding

Mountain biking is amazing, including for fitness

Kitesurfing…probably my main passion at this point

Back country skiing

Little bit of mountaineering

These are all excuses to travel. Will be kiting the North Sea next month

Motos are really special tho

As a young man besides moto it was baseball, football, martial arts and weight lifting.
After college it whittled down to softball, martial arts and the moto made weight lifting different. Lost 40lbs and started racing MX. In the mid 20's it was the Moto (roadracing) and I started doing aerobics to compliment the weights and did less running. In the 30's I stopped racing, but still rode and I began to lead the aerobics classes. It was not a real passion, but I guess you can say I enjoyed it because I did it for 30 years. The pandemic ended that. :(

Always there... the Moto.

As a young man besides moto it was baseball, football, martial arts and weight lifting.
After college it whittled down to softball, martial arts and the moto made weight lifting different. Lost 40lbs and started racing MX. In the mid 20's it was the Moto (roadracing) and I started doing aerobics to compliment the weights and did less running. In the 30's I stopped racing, but still rode and I began to lead the aerobics classes. It was not a real passion, but I guess you can say I enjoyed it because I did it for 30 years. The pandemic ended that. :(

Always there... the Moto.
I hear you on the weight lifting/cardio complimenting riding. I was a runner in HS/college; I PR'ed the mile at 4:30 and my 800/half-mile was 1:54. In college I got into lifting, as a way to put some bulk on my stick-figure physique (5'10 and normally hovered around 145-150lbs). It sucked... I'm a hard-gainer and had to eat 5-7k calories a day to maintain 170 while working out 3-4x a week for 2 hours.

When I got in my big accident, about a year after college, I was 165-170 lbs, benching ~270, and squatting ~300. My favorite part of my workout routine was the 2-mile cardio warmup every workout day. I'd set a 6-minute-mile pace (10 mph) on the treadmill with a 4% incline and hold a 2.5 or 5-lb disc-weight in each hand. My arms and shoulders were shredded and it really made it easy to man-handle the bikes for long periods of time. As a bonus, the doctors said my fitness and muscle density is likely what kept me from dying in my crash. I remember the ICU doctor's comment, "Given the speed and impact points, if you hadn't been so densely muscled, you likely would've folded yourself in half around that guardrail" o_O

I truly miss being able to hit that kind of fitness and level of workout intensity; I envy people who can... so, keep it up, for me, Bud! Staying active really helps with overall health but, just-as (if not more) importantly, the psychological/emotional benefit is huge. When I start getting lazy/lethargic my sleep and happiness levels decline in parallel to my muscles/cardio!

Barf needs you around and kicking (our asses) for many, many years to come! 💪

Sports cars.

I've done almost as many car classes at Sears Pt. as moto courses.

dogs,guns,aquariums guitars--i wigged out on guitars during covid,even started building them.

Yeah, but have you built a dog? 😉

More seriously, what did you build?

Latest passion of sorts is poker. Not the same as Friday nights, playing chess by organizing the chaos that is pervasive in the minds of teenagers into something that resembles the play you drew up on the chalkboard. Coached high school football for over twenty years.

Poker table combines the comradery of a locker room, the language too, with executing a game plan similar to play calling in a football game. Some play for the rush. Not me. Enjoy grinding.

Yeah, but have you built a dog? 😉

More seriously, what did you build?
strats and teles-partscasters-bought a bunch of amazon guitars and put upgraded parts on.super fun -then started buying american parts and putting together fender quality guitars-thought i was going to open a shop,everybody else that played guitar had same idea-i built a 90 lb bloodhound into 140 lb bloodhound lol

Shooting Sports.
I love developing precision handloads for centerfire rifles, especially antiques like the 30-40 Krag and 7.65 Argentine.
This is an Argentine carbine that I brought back from the dead.
Barrel was shot out, had my gunsmith rebarrel it. Reblued it myself.
It's no precision rifle, but it's minute of bad guy to 300 yards with my old eyes.
20220219_173733.jpg

Got my wife into shooting as well, she's a beast with no concept of the cost of ammunition.
One $400 range trip made me decide to introduce her to rimfire.
Now we compete in a monthly CMP Sporter match, and a couple of times per year to to Project Appleseed events.
Attach0.jpg
She's working to get her NRA basic pistol instructor certification.
I can shoot a pistol well enough, but rifles are my passion.

“I can shoot a pistol well enough, but rifles are my passion.“

Most excellent!

That's awesome, Tim-That CX Guy! Any recommendations on a good rife for targets and possible home defense? (We live country-adjacent with coyotes and possible mountain lions). I figure, with a lever action and a shoulder strap, I could hold/fire and cycle the lever fairly easily and not have to worry about jamming (like I frequently do on my semi-auto 10-22)

I currently have a Ruger 10-22 and a 6" Colt Python inherited/gifted to me by my dad that I take to the range a few times a year. Been wanting something like a AR15 but decided that it's too much headache in CA... so I've been eyeing getting a Marlin 1894 Lever-Action .357 Magnum, so I can use the same rounds in the pistol and the rifle - I'd thought about going with bigger calibers (eg 30-30) but it just seem to be more practical to go with the option that unifies all my (cheap .38/.357) ammo between the revolver and rifle.

.357 Lever action is stupid versatile. It helps that the .357 cartridge is stupid versatile.

It also makes hand loading an interesting endeavor.

The rifle should handle most anything that you may encounter.

I think the lever action is also a good idea with your one arm.

Obviously you'd know more about this, but seems to me that cycling a semi-automatic bolt could be quite awkward. On a bench, it's one thing, but free standing, I'm not sure.

The lever action should be workable while standing (they do it in the movies!). But, also, it's safe (for assorted values of "safe") to leave the lever gun loaded with a cartridge in the chamber, and then you can just thumb the hammer back for your first shot.

Once a round is chambered, a semi-automatic makes much more sense in terms of faster followup shots. But getting to that place may be more involved, especially if you're under stress.

You will need to think about rifle balance. A lever action fully loaded may well be barrel heavy in contrast to a magazine fed semi auto.

I'm thinking of the off hand shooting experience. Get the rifle on a porch rail, and most of that stuff is moot.

Some of the blood that runs through my veins is definitely motor oil with motorcycles and cars.

but other obsessions are martial arts, comic books and video games. I am a nerd, long before I threw a leg over a motorcycle but I've always felt pride that I'm a nerd that isn't exactly defenseless....

Archery and fly fishing have always been a part of my life. Soccer was also something I did for about 30 years and I feel lucky that I got to play for my college as a 2 year starter. I’ve had short periods of my life that were fully immersed in skiing, mountaineering, and rock climbing but those faded. Motorcycles have been fairly constant in my life and at points in time I would say they were an obsession.

Slalom courses become an obsession easily! The only problem is getting up at 6am for good water...still, water skiing, car detailing and Jetskiing (stand up) are about my favorite "free time" things to do on earth...and like Kuro, comics have been in my life since I was 4 or so. While Iove riding Moto's of all kinds, if I had to pick only one toy for the rest of my life, there's no question at all: A built Kawi SX-R 1500 Standup. 165hp of brute power and handling. So much fun always...and like a moto, leg dragging is almost as easy as on the old 550's from the 80's. Standups and car detailing are my lifelong obsessions!

IMG_1032.jpegIMG_6607.jpegGH020186-3.jpgGH010165-8.jpg

View attachment 565486
This thread should require pics!

First time posting a pic on barf in years! Love the new forum software that now makes this easy to do.

That is a SICK pic! can't imagine the feeling....now you've got me thinking! Water is the universe's best kept playground.

That 38/357 thing, I did buy a Rossi Ranch hand, a McQueen style short rifle in that caliber.
This was always jamming up in the elevator , I believe the cartridge rims were not working as needed. I did run hundreds of rounds thru it, while I had it, carried a small screwdriver to clear jams.

160 horse stand up ?? You have my attention/admiration sir, , ,

Back